Rumour – Bayonetta sequel planned and cancelled

Tuesday, 1st May 2012 00:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The finger blistering Bayonetta may not receive an expected sequel thanks to restructuring at publisher Sega.

Spong reports that Bayonetta 2 was in pre-production at the very least, with a new main character touted as a member of the US military.

Citing an insider source, the report suggests the project has now been cancelled as a result of Sega’s ongoing restructuring.

The publisher predicted an “extraordinary loss” earlier in the year, announcing a swathe of lay-offs and spraking rumours of multiple cancelled projects.

Bayonetta released in early 2010 and despite controversy over its character design and story was well-received by critics for its intense, precise action gameplay. It is one of a small number of Sega-published titles by Platinum Games which have won fanatical cult followings but failed to sell well, including Vanquish and MadWorld.

Platinum’s next release for Sega is Anarchy Reigns, a multiplayer brawler, and the studio is also behind Konami’s Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Thanks, absolutezero.

1. Dark

oh i see what you did there sega hehehe …
    actually, no I didn’t wtf is this?!
    No man please not this
    it can’t be true , you all are liars and feel jealous from my lovely bayonetta !!!!

I will proceed to summon my inner child…
    LALALALA! I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!

2. absolutezero

You know I honestly can’t blame Sega for wanting to back off from Platinum a little bit, pretty sure both Bayonetta and Vanquish were costly to produce and even though both games were fantastic neither of them made all that much money.

Well no where near the money that they deserved to make. Makes me sad that even though the quality of Vanquish shines everyone was still very reluctant to try it out. Its plummeted in price now aswell, I think its £9 to buy new.

Bayonetta is one of the most content packed games of this generation, its filled to bursting with lovingly created things to play with. Unlockable Cheat Codes, Costumes, Characters, Weapons, Bosses, Modes, Mini-games. A whole series of items that completely change the way you play.

The thought that there might not be another one while pretty depressing is actually not all that unexpected from Kamiya. I just hope that whatever else he decides to turn his hand to he gets just as much backing as he did with Bayonetta.

3. Erthazus

I think today is something wrong with Action Games. Look:

1) God Of War 3 multiplayer announced and shown for no reason at all (No singleplayer footage).
    2) Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer is a complete mess.
    3) Bayonetta is cancelled.

Something is wrong in this industry.

4. The_Red

FUCK. Seriously, FUCK.
    Goddamit you Sega. God damn you. You SUCK at marketing great games (Bayonetta and Binary Domain) and blame it on the dev by cancelling their titles? Goddamit you.

5. Dark

oh i hate you inaba >_> .. stop trolling us!!!

6. silkvg247

What a waste of a frankly awesome IP.