Blizzard announces Global Play feature for Diablo III

Tuesday, 1st May 2012 17:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard has announced a Global Play feature for Diablo III which will allow you to play online with your buddies no matter which region they reside in due to region-free servers.

There are only a few few restrictions when using Battle.net’s new Global Play functionality, with regions broken down as follows:

• The Americas – For players in the US, Canada, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia.
  • Europe – For players in the European Union, Eastern Europe, Russia, Africa, and Middle Eastern countries such as Israel and the United Arab Emirates.
  • Asia – For players in South Korea and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

Players will create characters and play in their “home” region, determined by where they live. Afterward, you can go into Global Play and switch to any of the other game regions via the in-game options menu,before or after you log in to the game.

Characters, items, and friends lists do not transfer across regions so when playing on a different region’s server, you will have to create characters and friends lists specifically for that region and will have to use the gold-based auction house for that region as well.

In addition, players will only have access to the real-money auction house when playing in their “home” game region. That means that, for characters outside of your home region, items “cannot be bought or sold in any real-money auction house.”

Awesome.

In other news, Blizzard has also posted a guide to the Auction House through here. The gold-based auction house launches alongside the game, while the real-money auction house will go online approximately one week after launch.

Those who sell items for real money will have to give Blizzard a $1 to 15% cut of profits as outlined through the FAQ. The firm will also take 15% should you use PayPal or you can deposit funds into your Battle.net account to use in the game or through the purchase of future Blizzard items.

More information is through the link, and the game’s out May 15.

1. Talkar

I’m hoping they’ll add this for StarCraft 2 too!
    There is no reason why, atleast the custom games, shouldn’t be playable outside ones region.

2. freedoms_stain

Wait, this sounds shit.

To play with a bud on another continent I need a whole set of different shit? Where’s the logic in that?

Why not make default “play with randoms” regional but let you friend up with anyone from anywhere?

Or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

3. Patrick Garratt

@2 – I agree. How completely odd. Why on earth have they done that?

4. Gekidami

Didnt they do something like this with Starcraft 2 too? I think Blizzard are just fucking around with PC gamers at this point, knowing whatever they do, they’ll get away with; Always-online DRM? Check! Higher retail price? Yep! Separate servers per region? Hell yes! LAN support? lolno.

5. DSB

That part doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, since the beta actually had better functionality than that.

When I jumped into someone elses game I had exactly the same stuff as I did in my own, and when I got back out, I kept the items I’d gathered. Although I think me and viralshag were on the US region.

Actually that would probably explain it.

I go between Europe and the US, so poo for me, but I haven’t seen any lag when playing with EU people, so I don’t see why I wouldn’t just make an EU character.

6. freedoms_stain

@5, US was the only region available during the beta, if you tried anything else you got an error.

My latency was about 130ms (in a sp game ffs) which is not too bad for this type of game I suppose.

7. endgame

Wow! You didn’t have to do this in Diablo 2. All you had to do was “Connect to IP..” and you could play with anyone using your own character. So Diablo 3 not only denies you playing with friends but it also asks for more money for the game. No thks Blizzard! I’ll grab a pirated copy so I can play with whoever I want wherever they are.

8. TheWulf

See, this is where Guild Wars 2 gets it right. You join a server (you can join either American or European servers), and then despite the server you join, you can ‘guest’ over to other servers and play with friends there.

The only restriction is that you get the PvP Mists buff (or lack thereof, if your server is doing badly) from your home server rather than the one you’re guesting to.

So it’s almost a completely unrestricted system, just like it was in Guild Wars 1.

Why would any modern gaming company not realise that people have friends from all over the world? ArenaNet get this, but with World of Warcraft and Diablo III, you can tell that Blizzard doesn’t quite understand yet.

9. TheWulf

p much

Makes me glad I don’t put money down on these titles. I just can’t support it.

10. OlderGamer

*Sigh

*Grumbles some more at Blizzard.

So may thing that could have been better about this game. Alot of the folks I wanted to play w/are on the other side of the planet. And because I play mostly during my daytime, our hours tend to match up well. I really don’t like the idea of runing different chars at the same time. And I am guessing no shared stash either? So If i find something amazing while playing with DSB I am shit out of luck getting that iteam to my chars on other servers?

Nice.

11. viralshag

This is pretty crap. They probably have so many pre-orders now they can pretty much do what they want and still make a profit. Not like there is a subscription to keep people interested in.

Bit like Guild Snores 2. Gutted I pre-purchased that too.

12. DSB

@10 Yeah, pretty much. That does suck.

Here’s the Global Play FAQ:

The whole real world economy thing is pretty fucked up too. People should really just stop trying to sell me shit when I’m busy playing a game.

It’s like the whole in-game advertising thing all over again. Blasting suspension of disbelief, one dollar at a time.

@6 Oh okay, that makes sense. I thought I wasn’t able to play in Europe or Asia because I was in the US :P

I didn’t check the latency myself, but there was nothing noticeable while playing the game with viralshag.

13. viralshag

@12, Have to agree. Lag was one thing I didn’t notice in the game throughout the beta. I was actually impressed considering how bad WoW is when I try to play on a US server.

14. GwynbleiddiuM

Well, on the bright side we don’t need separate versions for each region to be able to play with friends from whole different continents. But the fact that you need different characters for different regions is extremely annoying.

15. IrrationalGamer

They might be trying to stop gold-farmers from ruining your experience. Did any of you think of that?

Oh, wait, that’s right, I’m the IrrationalGamer. Oops.

16. OlderGamer

If the game didn’t have real world cash and tradable gear involved there wouldn’t be gold farmers.

17. viralshag

So this really is just turning into a Diablo F2P MMO in its current state.

Reading back through the comments I have no idea why #8, the big GW2 fanboy , even had to mention his favourite game considering there is zero difference between the GW2 guest pass and this D3 “server transfer”. Well, one difference maybe – in that GW2 restricts you from certain PvP while guesting.

18. Talkar

Absolutely right! Because gold farmers, item sellers and other nonsense wasn’t something that happened, and is still to this very day happeing A LOT in Diablo 2. Right? right? …. -.-

19. DSB

There are going to be gold farmers as long as there’s something to trade.

Blizzard making themselves the biggest gold farmer of them all has nothing to do with stopping it, and everything to do with profiting on it.

Although at some point I guess it falls back on peoples apparent desire to buy their way ahead in a game, rather than playing their way to it.

Either way, I prefer not to be propositioned (Heyoooo) while I’m playing.

@15 How does that stop gold farmers? If anything, it makes it easier for them, while making Blizzard the top dog of the group.

@16 People would be pretty pissed if you took out tradeable gear, aside from it being the cornerstone of the ingame economy.

You don’t really need it to run a goldfarming business. Look at all the WoW players getting “hacked”. 90% or more of those guys gave their passwords away, likely to get some powerlevelling or other service from those guys.

20. OlderGamer

What DSB said.

Simple as, if your not going to be able trade gear to other players, your not going to leave the door open for gold farmers. Also if you bring real world money in to it, it gets worse. Just like wow, D3 will soon be the target of hackers that want your account to harvest gear so they can trade it to their own accounts, and then sell said gear on the open market place.

Its all kinds of wrong.

And Talkar wouldn’t you think they could learn from their mistakes? Take steps to fix the situation. Preserve the players safty and ensure the quality of the experience.

And adding salt to the wound, what if all you wanted to do was play the game sp, offline? Or privatly on a lan? You can’t. So you have to expose yourself to the gold famrers/hackers in order to play.

21. freedoms_stain

If real money is involved I wonder if it has something to do with currency conversion re: the auction house.

22. DSB

@20 I strongly dislike the always-on thing as well, but how would a goldfarmer go about entering your private game? You still have 100% control.

23. viralshag

@20, To be fair though, targeting this or WoW is the same thing as they only need one set of details to access all of your Blizzard games. So I guess if you play both you’re doubly at risk.

They really should have included an offline mode.

@22, I was thinking that myself. Can they contact you if they’re not on your friends list or in your game? I figured they could probably still /w you somehow…

24. OlderGamer

I don’t think Gold farmers need to spam your chat window to sell their wares. Plus how do lobies work(asking, I don’t know).

If someone has your login/pw, it won’t matter if you play a pvt game or not. I am telling you right now, blizzard wants you to believe that all wow hacks were a result of the players being carelss with their logins and PWs. And that is a lie.

I was hacked twice, have two accounts. Never bought gold or a power leveing service. I don’t play on public pcs. I don’t share account info. And after my last go around with customer suport the rep even told me that, while some “hacks” were the fault of the player, most weren’t. He confirmed what I had already read, there are gigs of account keys(for many games) sitting out there in cyber space in the wrong hands.

Playing as PVT game in D3 won’t help you if yours get stolen.

My beef is that so long as there is precieved real cash value for in game gear there will always be an invitation for hackers.

I think to an extent irationalgamer is right, the server regions might be an effort to limit gold famers acsess to the bulk of the accounts. I just figure it won’t work.

25. viralshag

@24, I’m not doubting you on the careless PW excuse thing, I got hacked somehow even when I had an authenticator. My mate sent me an email and told me to check my toons on the armoury only to find that they were all naked, and then upon logging in I found about 20 orc rogues dotted about different servers.

The only time I saw any real major interaction with many other players was before entering a game where you could enter various chat channels like LFG etc.

26. OlderGamer

Those chat rooms might be used for spaming. But they wouldn’t likly be able to stay there long as the accounts would prolly get flaged and locked. Much the way wow goes after it. Unfortunately it still happens tho. It could be really bad if Diablo III has a free trial portion that allows players to chat with each other.

27. viralshag

Maybe I’m just being naive but my biggest problem with gold sellers is the annoying, spam messages. So much of my gaming is linked to something online these days I don’t really worry myself too much about getting hacked, if I did it would just ruin gaming for me.

As long as I don’t get hacked or if I do it gets resolved quickly, I’m not hugely bothered by it. Although WoW is the only MMO that has caused one of my emails no end of spam messages, even though it’s not even linked to the game any more.