Video: The Walking Dead – 40 mins of emotive gameplay

Monday, 30th April 2012 00:25 GMT By Sam Clay

You don’t have to believe the hype; check out Telltale’s The Walking Dead for yourself as VG247 takes a tour through the first episode.

Check out the first 40 minutes of The Walking Dead: Episode One above, highlighting the game’s impressive story writing, zombie attacks and some life-saving choices.

The Walking Dead released last week on all major platforms (although not for Australian consoles) with highly positive feedback from fans of both the TV series and the graphic novels – even the VG247 community is showing its love.

The point-and-click adventure will eventually consist of 5 episodes.

1. Stardog

Looks as bad as Jurassic Park.

2. Phoenixblight

Its a fantastic game and I can’t wait for the next episode. I think Tell Tale Games has really captured the essence of The Walking Dead.

3. TheWulf

Yep, it really is good. I mean, Telltale slips up once with Jurassic Park after the fantastic Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max season 3, and the pretty good Back to the Future series, and then one bad egg like Jurassic Park has people thinking that all games from them will be in that vein.

Are people really so short-sighted, and so lacking in the memory department? It’s kind of sad, to be honest.

Regardless, anyone who doesn’t give this a go is missing out, and it’s their loss. But their assumptions likely cause them to miss out on a lot of what’s enjoyable in this or any other entertainment industry. Myself – I prefer to take the approach of at least TRYING everything I can, that way I can say whether I like it or not from an educated standpoint.

4. DeVitowned

Would have been a good video if not for the completely unnecessary, mood shattering commentary.

5. albo88

oh yeah looks like an HD version of an old game

6. KAP

Agree

AGREE!

7. frostquake

Maybe it is because I grew up on point and click games, and got so bored with them then, that I find this one boring. Too many Leisure Suit Larry Games back in the day..LOL!

I would have liked much more control in this type of game, like Heavy Rain on the PS3 gave me, but since I played like a gagillion point and click games back in the Packard Bell days, that I just don’t enjoy these type of games anymore.

8. Andytizer

I really enjoyed the game, am about 2hrs in at the moment on the PC. It reminds me a lot of Heavy Rain in that there is a feeling of freedom and having an impact on the narrative.

If anyone has technical issues with the game, here is a wiki page of bugs, fixes and workarounds: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_The_Game

9. TheBlackHole

Looks good, but too depressing. People dying everywhere, and not even by my hands :(

10. YoungZer0

@7: have you played it? Because that’s exactly how i thought before i played it.

11. StolenGlory

TWD is better than Jurassic Park in every single way that matters.

My sentiments exactly. I never would have thought it, but TWD is certainly going to rank quite highly in my ‘pleasant surprises’ year list by the time we hit the ass end of December.

Oh and 400 MSP? Utter daylight robbery. They should have their heads examined.

12. manamana

Man, finished it yet and I enjoyed it a lot. I’m very much looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long. Great stuff and very good comic adaptation imo. But not everyones cup of tea, just like Heavy Rain, I guess.