Diablo III TV spot promises “Evil is Back”

Sunday, 29th April 2012 23:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The TV wants to sell you Diablo III, but why go to all the bother of lifting your eyes from the laptop to the widescreen when we have the latest commercial right here?

As the trailer notes, Diablo III is now just over two weeks away. If you’re not yet sold on Blizzard’s much-anticipated dungeon crawler, I am uncertain which rock you’ve set up camp underneath.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. Erthazus

After the demo that i experienced i’m so not ready, but at the same time i can’t judge the beta. I hope Diablo III will be the best hack and slash game to date.

It should be… After 12 fucking years.

2. GwynbleiddiuM

Mother of Evil…

3. Phoenixblight

What you are playing is the full game they aren’t hiding anything its been like that for the last 2 months so what you are playing is exactly what you are getting.

4. TheWulf

I feel the same about this as I always had.

I’m sorry, but that trailer compared to the funnier and more fun Torchlight II ones… I don’t know, I can’t even get remotely excited about this. My first impressions from a hands on were “World of Diablo,” a barren, lifeless rock that was clearly meant to be filled with players, an MMO that somehow never made it all the way, and the bastard child of WoW.

I didn’t have any fun with what I managed to poke of Diablo III, and first impressions really count. In Mass Effect 3, I was running from the reapers and having a blast, in Guild Wars 2 I was fending off a ghost army with mortars, and just about everything else I’ve played recently has instantly left a lasting impression.

In comparison to which… Diablo III just felt dead, like a husk. Far too corporate and not enough… creativity? But yeah, I stand by what I’ve always said about it, there are too many suits involved in the production of this game, and not enough visionaries. Even from that trailer, it sounds so corporate and soulless, right down to the voice at the end.

I suppose it appeals to the young in the mainstream, but I’m far too cynical about corporate shilling these days to enjoy something like this. I don’t want a braindead, barren, passionless single player WoW.

Just not interested.

Maybe interested in Torchlight II. Maybe. Not sure yet. But definitely not interested in this.

(I mean “EVIL… IS… BACK… !” Really? Really?)

If anyone’s wondering about what I mean with the whole barren thing – just watch a first impressions video. The opening to it is just completely underwhelming, there’s nothing there that says that this is a game that people were passionate about making. It just felt like people were doing their jobs. It’s functional, it’s got decent mechanics, but that’s all.

The most important element Diablo III lacks is just out and out a soul. Again, if you haven’t played it yet, go watch some first impressions and see for yourself.

5. TheWulf

@1 – Good luck with that, I guess.

6. DSB

Man, those cinematics. I’m about ready to jump into it.

@3 Well, it’s been two months since they completely overhauled the levelling system, but there’s been five patches since then.

There are quite obviously a lot of placeholders in the beta, there’s barely any music outside the menu for one. They’re not showing everything.

I’ll be disappointed if they keep the opening the way it is now though. It does feel a lot like a WoW starting area.

7. Phoenixblight

Music and hud systems are the easiest to implement compared to actual mechanics so if thats what you are holding to in the belief there is something awesome hiding behind the curtains that is your business. And BTW the “leveling” system if you want to call it that went from something somewhat interesting to suddenly something completely simplified and stupid to say the least.

8. DSB

@7 Personally I have no problem with the mechanics. It plays great. I do have a problem with the level design and the feel of New Tristram.

I didn’t see anything even remotely interesting about the levelling system before patch 13, and I still don’t with the new system.

Things like level design are just as easy to change as the hud, and since the “closed beta” barely serves as an intro, it’s safe to say that they have actual testers running an entirely different version.

Whether that’s desperate or common sense probably depends on the agenda.

9. Phoenixblight

As I actually know people that work on Diablo 3 and have been part of beta since the friends and Family alpha. The game as you see it is what its intended to be.

“Things like level design are just as easy to change as the hud”

Do you have experience in this? I doubt you do. Level design is the foundation and is the first thing to be started on and the first thing to be finished before audio,art,hud is all put in. For example Valve makes their levels with no assets and is just an “orange” room once the mechanics and the level is as polished as it can be they have their artist come in to do an “art” pass. The level design is done and will not be changing within 2 weeks. The game has already been sent for certification and distribution and is gold ready.

10. Hcw87

Allways funny to see people play a demo/beta of a game and then make up an opinion that the game is bad. You played 1/5th of a game that wasn’t even finished, how can you be so sure it’s bad?

11. harmundo

@Hcw87: Agree’d. But the beta is not 1/5th of the game. It’s 1/5th of Normal Difficult! There are a Nightmare, a Hell and an Inferno Difficulty level…

@1 Erthazus: Noneed hope here, Diablo III will be the best hack and slash game to date.

@everybody: Ignore that TheWulf guy, he dont know what he talking about… He played Normal Act I and made an opinion… He’s opinion like anus, everybody got one ^^.

12. Erthazus

The problem in design is that it’s trying to block the entrance with a BOX or a table.

That’s so 1999 in my opinion. Even Diablo II never did this. Diablo III beta tried to block from me a lot of stuff, just for the sake of the story.

13. rsmoker

@TheWulf: I agree. I wish I didn’t, but I do.

14. DSB

@9 Considering that there’s little actual gameplay in New Tristram, that doesn’t really apply.

You could well be right, but there’s little doubt that they’re holding on to a vastly expanded build, which in no way has to be 100% identical to the little piece they broke off for the beta.

15. Edo

I have no doubt that people who enjoyed(and still are enjoying)WoW will definitely like this…thing.

16. OlderGamer

I think it is a mixed bag.

I have several issues I can level with the game.

But you have to understand is that you need to judge a game for what it does, not so much for what it doesn’t do. Judge it for what it is, not what it isn’t.

Everyones description of what Diablo III is will prolly be a bit different.

My perespective is that the game is a fun romp with multiplayers. It has nice enough graphcis. Decent sound. Good controls. It has a interesting crafting system. Its loot hunting, I like that. It has a nice drop in drop out feature for multiplayer.

That is basicly all it is. But that is enough to be a fun game experience. I own it, my brotherinawl owns it, and my and two sons are planning to purchase it. If we all play together, there is going to be a lot of fun to be had.

The list of things the game doesn’t have is extensive. And I am not blind to them. Nor am I making excuses for them.

There is no other way to say it then to say that the char progression system is lacking. Gear is not enough. Skill trees. Skill spheres. Atribute points. There has to be something for the player to feel more conected to and in charge of their chars development. There is no excuse here. Having 10plus years to make this game and all they can come up with preselected skills with Runes? Auto leveling stat points? Its week to say the least.

The over world consists of pathways. Gone from past games are the freedom to just take off and explore. The game takes you from one scripted story even to another and back again. You don’t just have the ability to play. Its too tightly wraped around the story. So in that way it is very restrictive.

There are a lot of other things that rub peopl ethe wrong way with the game. But those two combine together to make many players feel restricted and limited. The experience you have is going to be very much the one that the devs intended you to have. I used to play Diablo II and just level build without any story componets at all. Thats tuff to do here, I want to make a MP game I need to pick what story point I want to redo from.

The story just gets in the way. Stories are cool the first time or three, but get very old after that.

In the end there are a lot of reasons not to like Diablo III(and the beta didn’t do the game any favours), but there are also alot of reasons to like the game. You kind of have to look at most games like that.