Standard and deluxe digital editions of Guild Wars 2 temporarily sell-out

Friday, 27th April 2012 14:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The standard and deluxe digital editions of Guild Wars 2 on the official store have sold out in North America, according to a statement posted on the game’s Facebook page. GameStop and Best Buy still have stock available. Those who purchased the game digitally were ensured a spot in the beta, which starts this weekend. NCsoft put a cap on the amount of digital versions available, it said, in order to “ensure we have enough capacity for our customers.” All is not lost though, baby Charr, the company further stated that ArenaNet will “likely have capacity available after the initial crunch at the start of the weekend,” and once the firm is able to resume digital sales, those who purchase the game will “still be able to play for the remainder of the weekend.”

1. GrimRita

Lucky I purchased mine yesterday. This had better be good!

2. viralshag

Time to see what all the fuss is about I guess!

3. GrimRita

@2 Indeed! I like the fact that you can play any class(just not race) and if you join a Battlefield/front(cant remember what its called) you can actually play a lvl 80 with ALL the abilities.

It all kicks off around 8pm so fingers crossed! Im going to try and make some videos but I dont want to look like a clown in them as I havent a clue what I am doing lol

4. viralshag

@3, Is the lvl 80 thing just for the beta or is that how it will work in the end game too? I don’t mind that but I think I prefer the stats boost while keeping the skills you unlock. Mostly because I like learning all the skills as I go.

5. Hcw87

”As you enter in to World vs. World, regardless of what level you actually are, you’ll be scaled up to level 80. You’ll retain all of your skills, abilities, and armor, but it will all be scaled up to level 80. This is different than in competitive PvP where everyone is given the same gear, and all of your abilities and traits are unlocked.

What this boils down to is that if you’re a level two player fighting a level 60 player in WvW, the level 60 player will have a huge advantage over you. They’ll have a variety of skills and better gear than you do, even though you’ve both been scaled up to level 80 in the environment. In competitive PvP, everyone is on an even playing field, but that’s not the case in WvW.”

The Normalized pvp gear is an awesome feature, no longer will you get scrubbed just because you don’t spend 12 hours doing pvp. It’s about time skill is the only deciding factor.

EDIT: Quote taken from: http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/45299/guild-wars-2/articles/77171/guild-wars-2-world-vs-world-preview-realms-at-war/

6. DSB

@4 I think it only goes for World vs World.

7. GrimRita

Just read on their wiki page ( http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2#Player_versus_Player )that the ‘Structured’ pvp is indeed with all abilities where World v World isnt.

According to that page, the structured pvp takes the same form as their G(uild vs)G(uild) pvp in the original GWs.

Although I do think its a good idea( especially when compared to SWTOR shit ‘bolster’ system), I would like to have seen brackets for levels in pvp, like Rift had. Maybe this will be an option further down the line?

8. viralshag

I like the sound of WvW except for one aspect in that article:

“Additionally, player kills aren’t very important in WvW. Enemy names and their servers don’t even show up in WvW.”

I quite like the idea of knowing who they are and who I am. I find it a little sad to be faceless, nameless soldier in a battle, even though this is more realistic I guess.

I like the sound of competitive PvP as it encourages more skill. The only thing that worries me is that they haven’t made it too easy so that it’s more readily available to everyone.

I look forward to trying it out anyway.

9. GrimRita

I see your point Viral but if the guy you are killing is from a different server, its not like you will run into them every day.

Considering that probably alot of people will be in WvW, it will be a lot of number crunching for the syste. Who knows? Maybe suggest it to them on their facebook page.

Im probably going to spend tonight questing to get a feel and crafting, then spend tomorrow and Sunday in PvP. What class are you looking at? Im thinking Thief for myself but I will try and give them all a go.

10. OlderGamer

I must own this game.

11. GrimRita

Beta servers are UP!!!!!! An hour early

12. GrimRita

And now there are login issues :( 2 hours now. Ho hum

13. viralshag

Not sure what I really think of it so far. I know it’s beta so none of my impressions are set in stone. But I find the PvP to be a messy spell spamming affair and the questing is unclear and a little dull.

Artistically, it looks great but graphically I would say it’s a little bit below Rift for me. The UI is fine but some of the hotkeys decisions are terrible and there has been some immediate rebinding.

Like I said though, still beta and still have a lot more to play as I’m early on but those are my first impressions.

14. Charlie Sheen

omg i made a girlfriend on GW2 OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM
    ^what you guys think?

15. GrimRita

Key bindings and graphics will all be there for launch, so they have said. Trying PvP tonight. Didnt get much time to do that last night due to the login issue which probably lasted all night. I went to bed in the end, after 3 hours of waiting lol.

I live the active events(much like those in WAR), helps gain some XP and I kind of didnt feel like I was grinding, which made a change. In most MMOS, it almost certainly feels like a grind to reach lvl cap.

The vendors were a mess as well. But I came across alot of errors, so probably bugged still. But I did see how the Gems work, what you can purchase(XP boosts, kill streak boots, clothing, other stuff and bundles).

You are spot on about Rift. That just looked so incredible. Although I did experience some lag in the major city, but that was it.

Your personal story in GW2 felt like a side show to me. And despite having voice acting, was totally lifeless when compared to SWTOR – the only thing SWTOR beats GW2 on currently.

Character creation was good too. Lots of options and players can select their colours (take note Bioware) of their armour.

Either way, I will play the first month(I have to, I purchased the DE version!) and no doubt see the game improve as we move through beta to the end.

16. viralshag

Well…haven’t even had a chance to try the WvW this weekend as it’s constantly full and I’ve pretty much given up. Kinda shit as that’s the main feature of the game, really. As everything else is pretty standard MMO fare.