Rayman Legends video shows Wii U NFC support

Friday, 27th April 2012 10:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rayman Legends seems like a real thing. A video of the still to be announced sequel has emerged online.

French website Gamekult is carrying the video. There’s also a YouTube link, but Ubisoft has “blocked it”.

The video shows the mythology aspect that was in the previously-outed survey from earlier this week, whilst keeping the classic gameplay and art style that made Origins a great game.

But the biggest – and arguably, exciting – part of the trailer shows the game getting a Wii U specific version that features NFC support in the same vein of Skylanders. Nintendo had previously mooted NFC support with the system.

A heart-shaped item is seen placed on the tablet controller that shows hearts falling to the ground in game. A second scene shows a model for a Raving Rabbid, which began life in Rayman: Raving Rabbids in 2006 at Wii’s launch, being placed on the controller and being transformed into the game.

A third scene teased Ezio from Assassin’s Creed sharing the same fate.

It was shown yesterday that Ubisoft had registered two domains for Legends following the leak of the survey on Monday. Get the video below before it ends up pulled.

Thanks, Ben!

1. StolenGlory

Holy shit!

2. StolenGlory

Am I seeing that right? Can the WiiU tablet scan real-world items like that?

3. manamana

Holy balls! Maybe they do it like in Skylanders and there is a receive chip in the tabletcontroller. Hard to believe the touchscreen can scan.
    Edit: ah, NFC, ok then.

4. mtnman3888

Can’t wait for this, Rayman Origins was amazing! Interesting support for the WiiU controller, wonder if it will actually be useful or gimmicky? Definitely cool though.

5. Johnny Cullen

I reckon this could be a massive game changer. Either way, this has completely sold me on a Wii U.

6. StolenGlory

@JC

You and me both my friend.

I can’t wait to see what Ninty’s first-party codewizards are going to do with that sort of tech.

Roll on E3! :D

7. Fin

The Wii U platform bits looked shit, but HOLY FUCK I AM SO EXCITED FOR A NEW RAYMAN GAME.
    I DON’T THINK I’VE BEEN THIS EXCITED FOR SOMETHING SINCE THE GTA V TRAILER.

8. Deacon

Hate to sound negative but there’s nothing game-changing there for me. Placing things on the tablet for some effect in-game is a quick gimmick – certainly not something I would want to do at regular intervals – I don’t know about you lot.

Were the other guys just using Wii remotes?
    Having played through SMB Wii just recently I can safely say that those are pretty damn uncomfortable when playing at length. I hope WiiU offers a nice SNES/N64 type pad for the more core games.

This isn’t bad from a third party. I hope for much more though.

9. The_Red

“I hope WiiU offers a nice SNES/N64 type pad for the more core games.”
    I’m pretty sure the only possible choices for control with Wii U are the WiiPad and the Wii-Mote.

With that said, I actually liked this video. Plus anything related to Rayman Origins is awesome so seeing Wii U with a proposed sequel in the same vid is a huge mental plus for that console in my mind.

10. manamana

^ and the Wii Controller Pro, which works much better than the Wiimote.

11. mtnman3888

I’m with you, it’s neat tech but I see it as more of a gimmick that would wear thin quick. For me, it would take me out of the gameplay experience by having to put stuff on the tablet and let it scan.

On a side note, this video brings up interesting thoughts on the WiiU as a whole since apparently the tablet can render about the same graphically as the console. Wonder what implications this may have on pricing?

12. The_Red

Shit, I never tried one. Of course I pretty much lost interest in Wii games after Boom Blox (The last game I really enjoyed on the system).

13. The_Red

“apparently the tablet can render about the same graphically as the console.”
    No it can’t. The video is being lived streamed on the tablet if I’m not mistaken. That’s why you can’t play on tablet with main console turned off.

14. OlderGamer

Pretty damn cool stuff!

Stream or not Red, she was interacting with the game on the tablet/controler by moving a platform up with a finger so they could all jump off of it. No other system even does that.

Onlive streams the entire game, and then you play it. If Nintendo does the same type of thing, that gonna be great.

Needless to say, very excited about E3.

15. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m a minimalist, so I wouldn’t be interested in this kind of tech, but it seems like something Nintendo would be really into for pokemon and such, and considering the sick revenue that that spyro/skylanders game made, it seems likely that a pokemon type game of the same ilk would mint money for Nintendo.

16. Gekidami

Hum, anyone else notice that the pad isnt wireless?

17. Deacon

@14 ‘she was interacting with the game on the tablet/controler by moving a platform up with a finger so they could all jump off of it. No other system even does that.’

I think a lot of people are going to be banging this ‘impossible on any other console’ drum, when in truth this is nothing a Vita + PS3 combo can’t do, and will probably be doing before the WiiU even launches.

18. StolenGlory

Completely agree with this.

Though it will matter little if Sony isn’t savvy enough to beat the drum about the possibilities of the Vita/PS3 combo; which they would be very wise to make noises about at their E3 presser in attempt to steal some of the WiiU’s inevitable thunder.

19. OlderGamer

So what Gek?

I have one PS3 controler that is no longer workable w/o a charge cord pluged in(it won’t hold their charge for more then a couple of mins). And I always use the charge and play kit for xb360 for the same reasons.

In the end I use cords anyways. I would rather it be corded then have to buy batteries. I wish the Wii Motes were cordable, but for obvious reasons they aren’t.

20. OlderGamer

There is an obvious reason why Sony can’t compete, why PS3 + Vita doesn’t = WiiU.

Thought of it yet?

Every WiiU has a controler/Tablet in the box.

If every PS3 came with a Vita, from day one I would agree with you guys. But the fact is that Vita + PS3 is at the lowest possible end a 450usd – 500usd priced purchase. Now if your a dev, it is too risky for you to assume that everyone who owns a PS3 is also going to own a Vita. Because your going to section off your game and reduce its potiental sales.

I expect to see very little in the way of Vita and PS3 interactivity within the actual gameplay of games. You can’t code that functions into your games. It is a novelty rather then a feature.

Your going to get the whole Connect Vita and do “Extra” things. That I would believe. But I doubt too many games will have important game dependant functions centered around it.

As where I think your going to see it in most Nintendo games.

21. Gekidami

Several things, first off rumours came from some pretty reliable sources (the same that revealed the extra 3DS thumb addon thing) that devs were having serious trouble getting games to run correctly without a wire, this video seems to be suggesting this is true. Second, Nintendo made a big deal out being able to at least move your gaming experience away from the TV, not really doable with a wire. Lastly, some games require you move the pad around (its meant to have a built-in gyroscope & accelerometers), a wire may bother you whilst you do that.

Seeing as its not a portable devise in the first place, its hardly all that bad if it needs a wire, but its worth pointing out because it does short circuit some of the stuff Nintendo said about the console at first. Of course all of this is depending on whether it actually needs a wire, but inside sources seem to suggest it will.

22. OlderGamer

Well time will tell.

Its hard to see, but if you look at the video at 2:15 you get a nice view of the tablet. It looks as though the cord can be plueged in. It might be a charge thingie, but who knows. There is also what looks like a plug on spot next to the cord in question, I wonder what that is for?

23. StolenGlory

Right, first off please don’t condescend with stuff like:

“Ok, I am not gonna get into another defend nintendo crap thread. But Deacon and Stolen, think about it for one second.

Thought of it yet?”. We’re not kids that need to be taught how to suck eggs and i’m sure you are able of articulating your point without condescension in the future. Ta muchly in advance.

Sony would likely hope that the majority of Vita owners own a PS3 anyway, it’s not like they would actively be selling the Vita/PS3 as a combo SKU or anything.

From THAT standpoint then, ASSUMING that the Vita/PS3 ownership correlates to a relatively significant extent, they would simply be trying to let PS3/Vita owners thinking of buying a WiiU, that from a technical standpoint at least, the combination of the PS3 and Vita consoles (that these folks would likely already own) could mimick the WiiU on at least some level.

I do agree with you OG on this however:

“I expect to see very little in the way of Vita and PS3 interactivity within the actual gameplay of games.”

Agreed; which brings me back to my original point – Sony need to be savvy about how they communicate the combo functionality of the PS3/Vita. Who cares if they ‘can’t compete’; I see nothing wrong with at least attempting to try.

More choice is always good right OG?

24. Telepathic.Geometry

If it does need a wire, then that is fucking lame.

25. Erthazus

There is a huge issue with a controller in my opinion.

You are coming to your friends home and he says: Let’s play Rayman Legends, here you go… a Wii Mote, but i’m in control Motherfucker! *shows off a tablet controller*.

One guy with a Wii U controller and others with Wii mote is not really awesome in my opinion.

New feature is interesting though, but i wonder how much that thing can scan.
    I’m not sure that you need always wire for it. I’m sure there is a battery at the level of PS Vita where it will work for 3-3.5 hours. Not everyone can play using a wire if you are a social player.

26. Deacon

Noted, but by the time WiiU launches both PS3 and Vita will already have a pretty well established userbase. It’s not like EVERY person who wants to get involved is going to have to buy both like you say.

To think that WiiU with it’s spangly high-res tablet is gonna retail at less than £200 is pretty optimistic, and if I’ve already got either a PS3 or Vita then it’s much less of an issue.

Still. Fair point.

I think there’ll be plenty of games where you CAN do neat things like this if you are using a Vita as one controller while the game itself is still completely fine without. I really hope Sony encourage things like this in titles where it feels right.

I’m still really not sold on WiiU yet. And this doesn’t do anything to improve my opinion.

27. StolenGlory

“You are coming to your friends home and he says: Let’s play Rayman Legends, here you go… a Wii Mote, but i’m in control Motherfucker *shows off a tablet controller*.”

I literally lol’d at this :D

28. OlderGamer

I think the concept is cool, Stolen. And if Sony can pull it off then awesome. But I think they would be best promoting a feature like that for PS4. And I hope they do. Assuming they don’t drasticly change the Vita in three years. I just think at this point its too little too late for Vita and PS3.

If Nintendo puts out their games with such a feature, and Sony supports Vita/PS3 conectivity in anything less then a flood of games, I think its a mute point. A trickle of five games won’t cut it.

29. Gekidami

I think some some smoke & mirrors going on with the so-called ‘scanning’ in this video. Can anyone actually explain how the WiiU pad could scan things you put on it? What tech was announced that can do that? See, i own the AC2 statuette from this video, and its just a round, hollow base, but i also own other things with round bases like it. How would the WiiU tell the difference? The pad can only feel, it cant see. I’m guessing that what isnt being shown here is that you need to hold the object in front of the camera first, just plopping something on the screen wouldnt work.

30. Erthazus

@Stolen, did my best :D. But it’s true really. One player is in control and other pathetic slaves playing with Wii Motes :D :D :D

@29, It’s Called “Touch Screen” for F sake. Ezio statue will be reconized by a software.

31. OlderGamer

Gek, I would guess that it would have to work like Skylanders.

32. Gekidami

Key were there being ‘Touch’, unless you think the ability to read touches automatically means its knows what exactly is touching it…

Maybe, but the Skylander figures have RFID chips in them, that AC2 statuette doesnt. I dunno, it seems pretty clear that however it works, this video isnt showing us a realistic depiction of it. Hence the feeling of smoke & mirrors from that part of the video.

33. Erthazus

@32, Yes. It’s simple as that. If Software supports your Ezio statue it will recognize it. There is no magic. It’s simple geometry.

34. OlderGamer

Gek, maybe it wasn’t your Ezio statue? Perhaps it was another one?

35. Gekidami

^ Nah, its clearly the Collector Edition AC2 one. But i found this:

So it seems it does indeed have the tech, i guess it just wasnt all in place for this trailer.

lol at Erthazus who thinks it works by the magic of touch alone.

36. Deacon

@35 so yes, from that, you’ll only be able to scan in purpose-made ‘peripherals’ or specific items that come with (or don’t) the game. Yet more pieces of plastic to gather dust in your front room. Bravo Nintendo. Great selling point.

[EDIT] to be fair though, the kids will love that shit.

37. Peetry

Gimmick, fun for 5 mins then never used again

38. Charlie Sheen

as much as i love nintendo i dont see how this action figure thing is any good, just seems like they put cheats into an action figure

39. Rudderless

Man, some of you guys need to play some Skylanders. So much cynicism.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not it’s a gimmick, this sort of tech is potentially massive for Nintendo. Allows third-parties to leverage merchandise, essentially acts as an anti-piracy device, and is the kind of idea that will win over younger players/families to Wii U.

40. Rudderless

@38 Pokémon.

As for the wire, it’s clearly a devkit model. Anyone can see that’s not an official cable.

41. Da Man

I’m so happy for Erthazus, just looking at his healthy euphoria coming from enthusiastic conversations with newfound buddies makes me smile. Oh, the joy of seeing an internet person replying to you. Can you imagine that?! Someone actually responds to you..

Thanks, internet. You make handicapped people from shitholes happy.

Anyway, I never thought Nintendo can become even more accessible.

42. manamana

@39 100% agreed.

43. ManuOtaku

Seeing this i cannot wait for E3, what kind of surprisses the Wii U have in store, i can see this working really great with pikimin also, imagine placing blue pikmin in the controller and then appearing in your squad without the need of planting the pikmin in the field, i think this can work with a lot of nintendo games in a lot of interesting ways, man i cannot wait really.

44. OlderGamer

I am very excited too Manu!

And I agree Skylanders was a lot better then I thought it was. A lot of fun to be had with that game. I can see Nintendo taking something like this a running away with it. It reminds me of the old E-readers that were about on one of the Gameboys a few years back.