Irrational’s Vita project on hold until BioShock: Infinite winds up

Friday, 27th April 2012 02:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Irrational Games isn’t thinking too hard about its upcoming Vita game while BioShock: Infinite is still in development.

BioShock creator and studio lead Ken Levine told Wired the team is mostly focussed on BioShock: Infinite right now.

“These games really are all-consuming endeavors. You do want to keep the ball rolling but it is tough to give it your full attention before you finish what you have,” he said.

“But we’re getting there with Infinite. So yeah, we’re not as focused on the Vita game as we will be.”

Levine said Sony has been a great partner, and promised that fans will see some evidence of that soon, but also expressed his discomfort at being asked to announce the Vita game well before he had anything to show for it.

“I don’t like to go out and just talk. I want to show you something first and then talk about it because it is tough to speak abstractly about things. I don’t want to convince you, I’d much rather have the work convince you,” he said.

“When they asked me to do that and at first I was like, ‘Well, I don’t really have a lot to talk about and the last thing I want to do is go out and make a bunch of promises.’ I tried to really downplay what I was presenting.

“I tried to manage people’s expectations of what the Vita game is going to be. Not because I think they’re going to be bad but because I’d rather not talk like a marketing person. I’d rather say, ‘Here’s the basic thing we’re doing and maybe you’ll check it out,’” he added.

“When I’m not ready to hype it, I just don’t talk much about it and that’s why when people ask me about the Vita game, I just say I’m not ready to talk about it because I don’t have anything to show yet.”

BioShock: Infinite is due in October on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 – after which we might hear something about the entirely separate Vita project.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Charlie Sheen

“I’d rather not talk like a marketing person”
    hes trying to play “im the nice marketing person” lol ken your so dumb, have you ever talked in a interview without being an ass?

2. Cormac

#1 are you mental? Ken Levine seems like one of the most down-to-earth people in the games industry and a lot of Developers could take a note out of his book.

He has done a lot for the industry,in terms of storytelling and atmosphere in games when he first released Bioshock and even system shock 2 to a lesser extent.He is certainly not “dumb” and He always comes very sincere, at least to me anyway.

I know there is probably some money going under the table from sony, but I don’t think that Ken would just flippantly make a vita game unless he thought that he could do something interesting there.

3. Erthazus

That is the sign that Vita version of Bioshock is not coming this year. So – 1 good game for the Vita.

That is not very good.

4. Goffee

All of that can be summed as “Sony were desperately short of big name titles for the Vita… without Uncharted and WipEout things would have been very grim.

It also looks like few other developers are leaping on-board… hope E3 brings some surprising news

5. manamana

@2 100% agree!

6. ultramega

Don’t even waste your time on him.

7. Charlie Sheen