Black Ops 2 pre-order cards show up at Target

Friday, 27th April 2012 22:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A shot of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 pre-order cards has been sent in to IGN showing a release date of November 13.

The cards pretty much confirm the name of the title, as well as the date, both of which have been the rumor du jour for over a month now.

Earlier this week, a viral video FPSRussia suggested the game will take place some 10-15 years in the future, and a logo for the game on the CoD website mentioned Tacitus, along with many other flashing “classified” items.

A mock up of the website background and the logo on the cards has popped up on AGB. For fun, we’ve used it as the header image.

The game is set for a formal reveal on May 1 during the NBA Playoffs Tuesday night.

1. JimFear-666

hahaha i love this kind of leaks.

2. Anders

Surprised to see them go with roman numerals – a first for the series?

3. G1GAHURTZ

^^ Yes.

4. Xiahou_Yuan

Having that weapon doesn’t mean that the game would take place in the future. What’s up with you guys implying all of that because of a single comment. It might show up in the game, as part of some soviet research project in the cold war.

With that said, I am still waiting for Singularity (best FPS by Activision and my 2010 game of the year) or any game from Raven Soft (Aka Best studio in Activision and one of the best in creating classic FPS with good bosses fights)

5. OrbitMonkey

I don’t want Blops2 (fuck your roman numerals!!) to be set in the future. I’d much prefer Treyarch to follow the Cold War settings.

So here’s hoping #4 has the right idea on this one… I almost called him the voice of reaso, but Singularity? Game of the year? Nutter :-)

6. Edo

@4 Yeah I wouldn’t mind sequel to Singularity cause the first one was pretty good game(maybe not GOTY material but still overall very decent )and you are also correct about Raven Software cause to me their games are fun to play and while Wolfenstein from 2009 was somewhat disappointing,the boss fights were some of the best in recent FPS.

7. Yoshi

This is Blops 2, so it’s likely to have the same route as Blops 1 and take us through memories… this way it can start at the cold war still, go through to modern so then they can also brag it has modern elements then straight into the future so they can brag they’ve got something new.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Absolutely shocking, isn’t it?

People whinge and moan that they want something different, then as soon as something different comes along, people start complaining that they just want more of the same…

Trust me, Treyarch are all about listening to feedback, and trying to give the majority what they ask for. I reckon both them and Acti have heard the wingers and read the articles about wanting something new, and they’re trying to do something about it. Starting with going for a ‘future’ setting.

I personally think that they’ll go for an espionage/Bond/Bourne kind of feel, to bring in new ideas, and a fresh, new SP experience.

All new weapons, all new gadgets, all new ways of getting kills.

I could be wrong on this one…

but I doubt it.

9. Hazzarington

I was really hoping that, considering the game is being announced on International Workers’ Day, you would actually play as the USSR or another Communist state and see the war from their point of view… but heck, you can’t win them all.

10. Da Man

^Hahaha. That’s a good one.

11. Ali Hayas

@5 I think my situation is very similar to those who named the first Darkness game to be their game of the year when it was released. Sometimes, I get amazed by how underrated a game to the point that I start considering it one of all time favorite. Singularity meets the criteria. Sure, it had many flaws, but it had such an interesting setting, a fresh take on the over crowded genre and a set of special boss fights that you can only find in Raven Software games.

12. Maximum Payne

Singularity had boss fights ?
    That should have been in next gen when you can actually destroy something and then back in time…Like Battlefield destruction and that time manipulation.

13. Erthazus

“Singularity had boss fights ?”

The last level had shitty boss fight. Well, yeah.

14. Moonwalker1982

How people can still get excited for Call of Duty is beyond me. I used to love it when MW came out but after that it just became a chore. A chore that happens each year, people are getting the exact same shit every year, and they still get excited for it and buy it.

What they should do is give this ridiculous game a rest for a while, give it a few years, make a new engine, change things and make it absolutely amazing again. The day that happens, is the day the world ends.

15. Maximum Payne

@14 That would be in parallel universe when first you make game for love and passion and then for money.

16. Ali Hayas

@14 @15 , I think sooner or later, Activision would have to go with that change, but would it be enough ? With next gen hitting the doors, Activision would have to update the engine and all, but a large portion of their dedicated fans demand no dramatic change. IMO, CoD for Activision’s point of view is in a good shape, their forums are full of users who praise as much as they criticize, the sales are still on the track, the reviewers still give the games high scores. As for us, the non CoD fans who hate the over done to death action sequences, we are just … The non CoD fans and in a very similar position to the none Capcom fans who criticize them for their DLCs and yearly fighters updates.

For me, the real mystery is , how on God’s green earth do CoD games still score very high by reviewers. For me I think there is not a site that is ready to gamble against what appears to be ( if only in numbers, not dedication) the largest online gaming community.

17. freedoms_stain

@8, what new ways will these be?

Will they involve something other than shooting, stabbing or explosives? Doubt it.

18. Gekidami

If it is set in the future, i wonder if it’ll make mention of MW3, or the series as a whole. Are Blops and MW even set in the same universe? You’d think World War III would be a world changing event still fresh in everyones minds 15 years after.

19. G1GAHURTZ

@17:

It’ an FPS.

If you want to get kills by beating someone to death with their own arm, you can play Mortal Kombat or any other game from a non gun/knife/explosive-centric genre.

@18:

No, they’re not. Treyarch’s games have all been based (very loosely) on actual people/events, whereas the MW games have so fer been set in an ‘alternate’ modern day.

—————–

Anyway, this is probably going to be the last current-gen COD game.

I can only assume that IW are already working on the next-gen CoD.

20. OrbitMonkey

@16, +1. Very well put.

I still don’t want it set in the future… Theirs MW3 & Ghost Recon for that. I’d like to do some missions in Africa, Afghanistan and the Golden Triangle. Theirs a interesting premise in the whole secret history of the cold war and to scrap it, to jump 50, 60 years in the future seems daft.

21. DSB

The premise of Black Ops was extremely cool in my opinion. You could easily transfer that into the present though. Depending on who you ask, the US and China are engaged in a new cold war that’s only going to get hotter.

One day I’d love to see a Korean war game. Probably never going to happen outside the most indie of indie developers, but it’s a huge shame. It was one of the most intense engagements of the 20th century.

22. Charlie Sheen

cant wait, black ops was one of the best cods

23. roni1175

To my opinion a real change for the seriies would only happen for next gen consoles and it’s most probably already developed.

MOH or BO I will wait and see.

24. Meta_Dragon

Oh boy, another POS Call of Duty game. What a huge surprise. Seems Activision hasn’t learned yet.

Why people keep falling for this crap is way beyond me.

25. John117

I would like to compare the sucsess of CoD with something entirely else… Firefly got only one season and was perhaps the best series I’v seen. Jersey Shore is on season five and surely more, so I’l just say Dumb Shows for Dumb people and the same goes for games…

26. Maximum Payne

@25 9gag post ? :)
    Also shows like John Doe,True Calling,Twin Peaks and my favorite cancel show: Traveler which is amazing thriller.

27. EMPERORROY4LE

Are they doing a midnight release of this? PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. G1GAHURTZ

^ Almost certainly, but it depends where you live.