ArenaNet explains Guild Wars 2 world transfer mechanics

Wednesday, 25th April 2012 04:38 GMT By Matt Williams

Guild Wars 2 players will have the option to transfer their home world once every seven days according to ArenaNet.

In a new ArenaNet Blog post, Martin Kerstein explained that players will be able to transfer their account to a new home world for a charge of 1,800 gems per transfer, with a limit of one world transfer every seven days per account. The transfer will shift all existing characters attached to the account across to the new home world, and will represent that world in the game’s world-versus-world (WvW) format.

Players will be able to play with friends on different home worlds by way of the game’s free “guesting” feature, but certain restrictions will be in place. “For instance, you will not be able to participate in WvW while guesting,” Kerstein explains.

The ability to transfer worlds will be present in this weekend’s Beta Event, although guesting will not be available at this stage. All players will be entitled to 2,000 gems free of charge, enabling them to purchase a world transfer if they so wish.

Upon the game’s release, players who choose a home world different to the region where they purchased the game will be logged out for a short period of time while their account is moved to their new region.

The Beta Weekend Event is scheduled from April 27 to April 29.

Thanks, Massively.

1. GrimRita

Guesting? What a great idea!

2. endgame

And to think that there are people out there who are actually paying money for character transfers. The stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me.

3. viralshag

@2, You shouldn’t complain about stupidity when posting a stupid comment.

“players will be able to transfer their account to a new home world for a charge of 1,800 gems per transfer”

People still pay for gems. You CAN buy them with gold, but SOMEONE will have to buy them first.

4. endgame

@3 ??? You can earn gems in-game. Correct?

5. viralshag

@4, You can buy gems with in-game gold from someone that has paid money for them.

FromMike O’Brien, ArenaNet Studio Head:

“In Guild Wars 2 we have three currencies: gold, karma, and gems. Gold is the common in-game currency. Karma, which players earn in-game but cannot trade, is used for unique rewards. And gems are the currency that’s bought and used to purchase microtransactions.”

But like I said, you can trade gold for gems but those gems still have to be bought by someone. It is a good system but someone is still “paying” for that server transfer, it just might not be you.

6. endgame

@5 So the trend continues. Sad. :(

7. viralshag

@6, Not really. Like I said, it’s a good system. It offers people who are happy and in a position to pay for gems and still offer them for trade in game. Like the guy said in the full interview, it’s a lot like EvE’s Plex system.

You might be someone who has more time to play the game but not afford the MT goodies, so you can use your in-game gold stash to buy gems from someone who maybe has more money but less time to game and needs in-game gold for something.

If it works well, like they plan and hope, then you can essentially create an extremely healthy game economy that benefits all and removes any need for gold farmers.

It’s a good system but just so you know, and I’m only using this as an example, server transfer is totally free on Rift. Or at least it’s included in your sub – and that’s for a character or guild. So there are companies out there that do break the trend. ;)

8. GrimRita

endgame – you are missing the point. This game is free to play, so having some form of micro transaction is essential and expected. Not everyone has the time to spend grinding away, so those who are cash rich and time poor have a way of remaining involved.

Personally, I have spent a fortune playing League of Legends who use a similar system with Riot Points. Either you collect your tokens after winning matches and turn them in for boosts and skins, or you purchase them instead.

The beauty is, that it has no impact in the gaming arena. Players dont get any kind of stats boost – then it becomes an issue because gaming should NEVER be a case of the haves and the have nots.

9. DSB

It’s not a dealbreaker, but I definitely prefer games that don’t mix real world and virtual economies. It just makes it feel cheesed to me.

@8 But the have and have not is introduced the moment you distinguish between those who spend money and those who don’t. I’d much rather have everyone on the same page.

Granted, buying clothes or mounts or whatever isn’t the biggest deal, and it won’t unbalance the game, but people are going to be looking at the guys who spend money, and the guys who spend money might also be stereotyped on that basis.

That’s certainly the case in World of Tanks. In an effort to balance it, the paid tanks can’t really compete with the “earned” ones, but people throw scorn on those guys like no tomorrow. Every time a guy in a paid tank dies, he has to hear for it. “Learn to play, Wallet Warrior”.

I’d compare it to Dragon Age: Origins. Either you spend money, or you get to look at ingame vendors trying to goad you into it. They may have been selling actual content, but none of it was very exciting.

Just consider all the guys who are going to be hanging around in the trade channel, trying to get gems out of their epic items instead of “common currency”. You want that item? I guess you’ll have to buy some imaginary money from ArenaNet.

It doesn’t add anything to the game in my opinion. By its very nature of connecting the virtual world with the real world, it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

10. GrimRita

LOL ‘Wallet Warrior’ – love it. See with League of Legends, no one knows if you’ve purchased the skin or saved for it. However, I really cant comment about this in detail, until I see for myself how it all works in game.

11. TheWulf

I can’t get over ArenaNet.

Sometimes I’m actually a little angry at them. Why? Do I think ill of them in any way? No, I don’t. They’re too good to people. I mean… think about it, they need to monetise their game, and I think they should not have instituted something like guesting.

But they’re so decent, and they want to be decent to everyone, and that’s lead them to instituting guesting. You’d never have something like that in WoW, not ever, because WoW is super-monetised, but it’s the opposite in WoW… WoW takes more money in microtransactions, cash shop stuff, and subscriptions than it gives back.

ArenaNet is like the Anti-Blizzard, they give more than they take. I worry sometimes that they’re being too kind, I really do. It makes me respect them so, so much. So damned much. But sometimes I worry that they are being just way too kind.

However, this kindness does make me want to show good will by buying things on the cash shop, like cosmetic clothes outfits and stuff. So maybe it’ll work?

12. TheWulf

Also, another thread where DSB is talking out of his arse. Are any of us honestly surprised? We know he loves being a subscription bitch.

The fact that DSB is brushing over is that you get people who say ‘learn to play’ in a subscription game, too. They just base it upon gear. I mean, you can get gear in different ways in WoW, but if you don’t have certain gear or spells for your class, then people say that you’re ‘using it wrong’ and they won’t take you on. They tell you to learn to play.

But the fact of the matter is is that often that person knows what they’re doing and they’re more skilful than the person saying that to them is. Quite often that’s the case, because they know how to play their class, and they’ve customised that class to themselves. But hey, you still get these idiots in WoW telling you that you’re not geared a certain way, and that if you don’t go and grind X or Y, then you’re an ‘idiot casual player/carebear.’

Whether it’s ‘idiot casual player/carebear’ or ‘wallet warrior,’ you’ll always have these people. By supporting them, you’re showing your own lack of intellect, and DSB does sound like he’s supporting the idea, doesn’t he? He’s supporting all those guys who’ve ever done something like this.

I mean, look at even the original Guild Wars, that had people like this too. But instead of wallet warriors, you had to have so much of a certain item from a dungeon before you could run it, because otherwise you were anoob. The fact of the matter is is that you get these retards everywhere, and they all try to establish their little ‘L33T H13R4RCHY, D00D,’ but it doesn’t make them any less fucking imbecilic.

What do you do with imbeciles, in every game ever?

You mute and ignore them.

Subscription, free to play, buy to play, whatever. I’ve encountered these people even in Mass effect 3′s multiplayer who’ve insisted that I should be using a certain gun. At which point I’ve told them to fuck right off and proceeded to save their arse on multiple occasions when they’ve died. You always get these people, everywhere.

To insinuate that these people are limited to buy/free to play games is intellectual dishonesty, but when have we not known DSB to not be a liar? I mean, I’ve called him on his shit before, and I’m calling him on his shit now.

13. TheWulf

Check yourself. If you bull, I WILL call you on it. I call everyone on it. If there’s one thing I cannot fucking stand then it’s intellectual dishonesty and just plain old liars.

In the article you’re quoting, it talks of the guesting system. So NO, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY to transfer to another server. So what endgame said is actually correct.

You only have to pay if you want to do WvWvW from another server.

Please read.

14. TheWulf

Really, if we’re going to argue about GW2 (which I am fine with), can we actually not use invented bullshit? Please? I’m fine with arguing, but it pisses me off when I have to deconstruct lies and bullshit. I’m fine with arguing something that’s factually a part of the game, but if you’re just making stuff up then it’s not even a debate. It’s just childish.

15. GrimRita

I think that the guesting idea is a touch of genius. If you have a friend on a different server, inviting him/her to join you questing is great and they can return the favour.

For me, its this kind of forward thinking that really slaps Bioware in the face with their outdated offering SWTOR. I’ve pre-purchased and looking forward to playing beta at the weekend, as this will be my first experience with Guild Wars in general.

I’ve watched several videos and one chap highlights a key tip – in battlegrounds, you can play ANY class in the beta(just the races are limited atm), with full abilities and max lvl @ 80 – so you can try out each class to find one that suits your style of play – brilliant!

16. viralshag

@13, You really do talk shit sometimes… scratch that – most of the time. Great, so you can do a server transfer for “free” but at a cost of the limitation of the best and most unique part of this game…

Full server transfer costs gems, gems cost money somewhere along the line. Please explain where that is wrong?

And so I’m “wrong” am I? Forgive me but explain where I’m making it up that you don’t pay for a server transfer? Did I question having to pay for guesting pass? I don’t think so.

Edit: In fact, what exactly are you “calling” me on you moron? I haven’t questioned the guesting once and only pointed out that you/someone has to pay for gems, that pay for a server transfer. Notice the words there, “server transfer”, no mention of the guesting. And then you go on to say “You only have to pay…” and that’s all I need to quote because that’s all I have been saying.

Please read.