Rockstar: Max Payne 3 360 to come in two discs

Tuesday, 24th April 2012 11:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Max Payne 3 on Xbox 360 will push two DVD discs, Rockstar has confirmed in a tweet.

It comes after US rental service Redbox listed the game for two discs, with only the first disc originally listed as available to subs through the single-player only and no multiplayer.

Rockstar has since confirmed the two-disc information, saying the first disc will contain only the first half of the game’s single-player and multiplayer.

“That Redbox info is not accurate. Redbox only ever rent out one disc, for any multi-disc game,” it said in a tweet.

“Max is on 2 discs for 360, so Redbox will be renting disc 1 which contains half of the single player story and the full multiplayer game.”

Max Payne 3 launches on May 15 in the US and May 18 in Europe on Xbox 360 and PS3. The PC SKU launches on May 29 and June 1 respectively.

Thanks, TSA.

1. drewbles82

I can see this happening to GTA V. With all the rumours of next gen xbox release Autumn 2013, think I’d rather wait a lil extra and have them make it for the next gen console.

2. JRNO

Now I’m a bit tempted to cancel my pre-order for the 360 version, and to pick up a PS3 copy instead. On the other hand though, all the past games built on RAGE have been performed slightly better on 360.

It’s a shame the PC version doesn’t come out at the same time.

3. awaltzforvenus

Maybe its conditioning from the old PlayStation days, but multidisc games never really bothered me that much. Which isn’t to say I prefer it…it just never struck me as a big deal.

To some degree, because of that old PlayStation nostalgia, I’ve actually found it enjoyable when games are multidisc. For instance, playing through Lost Odyssey on four discs most certainly brought back the old PlayStation-era Final Fantasy memories. I appreciated that…although I’m sure I’m in a minority there. :)

4. KAP

Hmmm.. I wonder why 360 are so desperate for a next gen system. Damn..

5. polygem

@2 i preordered the ps3 version but actually wanted to cancel and get the 360 one instead. now i´m not so sure anymore. not that it´s a big deal…i prefer to play shooters on the 360 but a 3rd person shooter is good with the ds3 as well…i will think this through for a moment

6. Gekidami

Yeah, after it was announced the PC version needed 35GB of space, i had the feeling this was going to be on 2 360 discs.

7. TheBlackHole

Oh no! I’ll have to switch discs once during my 10+ hour play through!

/sarcasm

Shooters generally play better on 360 (FPS and TPS), and if past efforts are anything to go by, the 360 version will be better than the PS3 one anyway (performance wise).

I’m just hoping the game is good.

8. ManuOtaku

Regardless of this issue i will pick it up on the 360, for the many reasons stated in the above comments, and just for compensations sake, i will pick dragon dogma for the ps3, so all my consoles are happy, and last story for wii, if they release this game on may of course.

9. freedoms_stain

What the hell is a disc?

10. polygem

well well i now have to take into consideration that i might not be able to go online with my 360 within the next 3 weeks or so because of the fifa12 hack of my xbl account.

i will wait and see what happens there. if i wont be able to go online with 360 when mp3 launches i will pick up the ps 3 version.

11. OrbitMonkey

@7, Well unless your that guy who buys the same shooter on both formats… Your talking out your arse.

Just saying ;-)

12. Da Man

Oh look, two discs. It’s so last gen.

I remember playing some videogames with 2d backgrounds which came on 4 cds, back in 1998, when Dreamcast already came out. Sony were so ahead of it’s time back then… And then they were so ahead with the dvd on PS2, despite having a gpu not much better than the first GeForce and SotC dropping frames all over the place.. So ahead as well.

So anyway..

I really hope the next xbox will have a detachable drive like the new Mac Minis. Digital downloads all the way.

13. absolutezero

I can’t believe this is an issue.

Is this somehow all tied into the magical myth of the comfy couch?

14. viralshag

@11, I would actually agree with him tbh. But that’s purely based on my own experience having played and owned BF:BC2 and MW1/2 (not sure if it’s both – I can’t remember) on both consoles.

15. TheBlackHole

No, but I do work for a game developer who buys games for both consoles in our lounge area, so I’ve played plenty of games on both formats.

Also, digital foundry – love it or hate it – does pretty comprehensive looks at most games and the consensus there is the same.

Just saying, smart arse.

16. StolenGlory

Yep, i’d agree with him also. Again, just like @14, it’s based from my own experience of seeing like-for-like shooters on my own 360 and my friend’s PS3.

17. OrbitMonkey

^ I found no difference with MW1, but it’s true Reach is shit on Ps3… Won’t even load :-(

18. TheBlackHole

LOL @17

19. Charlie Sheen

lazy cunts

20. polygem

LOL@17!
    LUL@19!

21. speedxl01

I will of course get the PS3 one, free online, on one scratch resistant BD disc, unless there are serious performance differences, but that’s unlikely.

22. Moonwalker1982

Judging by GTA IV and RDR, the 360 version is the way to go. There was quite a difference between the two. And wow..big deal, switching discs, no big deal at all.

23. Gigabomber

After owning a ps3 for 5 and an xbox for 2, I can safely say that the xbox is always the better choice: Sony lost this round, live with it, I doubt they’ll lose the next, even with a controller from 1999

24. OrbitMonkey

^ unless of course you only own a ps3… Then you won’t care… As it’s a none issue…

Anyone want tea? I have biscuits ;-)

25. pukem0n

oh no, u have to swap the disc once. lets all cancel our pre-orders :>

26. Gekidami

^ Well actually you’ll have to swap it more than once if you happen to be playing the second half of the campaign and suddenly fancy some MP.

But anyway, it would seem this is because the game has 4 hours of cut-scenes:

27. OrbitMonkey

Four hours of cut-scenes in a 6 hour campaign… Was Hideo involved? ;-)