Cryptic Gabe points to mix of “twists” for HL3 hold-up

Monday, 23rd April 2012 13:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Valve boss Gabe Newell has said a mixture of both “positive” and “negative” surprises has held up development on Ricochet 2. Except anyone with half a brain would know he doesn’t actually mean Ricochet.

Speaking on the Seven Day Cooldown podcast, Newell said if Valve came out and announced development on the game that isn’t called Half-Life 3 already, fans would be near hysteria when it would eventually become official, rather than when it wasn’t acknowledging it.

“In terms of Ricochet 2, we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance,” he said (via Develop).

“We end up changing our minds as we’re going through and developing stuff, so as we’re thinking through the giant story arc which is Ricochet 2, you might get to a point where you’re saying something is surprising us in a positive way and something is surprising us in a negative way, and, you know, we’d like to be super-transparent about the future of Ricochet 2.”

He added: “The problem is, we think that the twists and turns that we’re going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what’s happening next.”

To be crystal clear here, Newell is clearly, albeit in a cryptic form, referring to Half-Life 3. The last installment in Mr Freeman’s adventures was Half-Life 2: Episode Two in October 2007 for PC and for consoles via The Orange Box.

Since then, Valve has been quiet on the Half-Life series, including Half-Life 2: Episode Three or Half-Life 3. For Ricochet 2 itself, such a project is very unlikely to exist in Valve right now, and is likely to be a codename for HL3.

1. Moonwalker1982

I sure hope that’s the case. The HL story is far from over, it actually reminds me of Shenmue,but that game will never be finished and i think Half Life 3 will see the light of day eventually.

2. BULArmy

I love Half-life and mainly its universe, but I really can’t see HL3 or whatever it is called to stand up to the hype that it will generate. In my opinion HL3 is in a very bad position. Some of the gameplay mechanics are “dated” for the mainstream gamer, like health packs, instead of healt-regen, the slow methodical moving and shooting, instead of the run n’ gun COD mechanics and some else. And if Valve move this way it will be huge shitstorm from older fans like me and I must say millions of people. Valve are in quite delicate spot right now and with the internet community, being able to whine about everything it is very rough path for Valve and HL as an IP.

3. Maximum Payne

@2 Actually health system is not problem , for me only thing that bother me a little is no recoil but again there is in L4D.There is also no ADS but I think I can live without that.
    Also Half Life was popular way before cod4 so that is really not a problem.

4. KillerDD

@2 I honestly miss medpacks…

5. DSB

Pretty much what I’ve been saying all along.

If they know they might be working on it for another 2 years at least, they’re not doing anyone any favors by making them privy to it.

Instead of whining about knowing nothing, they’d be whining about Valve being too slow to develop it.

It all comes down to what kind of petition you might want people to make against you.

6. DuckOfDestiny

@2 Half life’s fan base may be a niche corner of the market, but it’s a fucking huge niche.

I’m pretty sure Valve could do fine if they kept it gameplay as it is, but more evolved, with a more advanced engine.

And let’s not forget, Half life’s fan base is mainly on the PC, who revel at the thought of the features that you brought up.

7. Da Man

Whoever thinks health regen makes a game casual needs to check themselves. Good grief..

Random recoil was in CS since Source.

8. BULArmy

I really hope that they will not change the core mechanics of the game. Actually the only “modern” feature I will live to come to HL is aiming down a sight.

But in the not so good world of corporate evils and pussyfication of everything, I am not really sure Valve will not want to bring “new” audience along with trying to assure us the old fans that everything will be fine, which will not be if there is too much change.

@7Healt-regen is one of the main feature for the run ‘n gun gameplay we see in 95% of the shooters today. Actually in MP I really think it is a nice way to have a more balanced game, but in SP it totally brake pacing, some tactical approach and I must say immersion. Medpacks are one step more realistic then health-regen and actually make you feel like a more vulnerable person. Making it through the next fight with 15% health is much more satisfying in my eyes then gunning everything and ducking for 5 seconds in order health to regenerate.

9. DSB

Really, people want Half-Life to stay the same? I sure as hell don’t.

I’d much rather see Valve make it all that it can be, rather than all that it was.

The whole reason why everybody gushed over the original was because it was so far from anything we’d ever seen, and to a lesser extent, I think that sort of “mark” has been on most of their games ever since. TF2 for the competitive shooter, L4D for the coop shooter. Half-Life 2, while great, was probably the least impressive of the bunch.

Portal may not be the most ultimate game ever, but it was still a tough act to follow, and Valve did an amazing job of that. That’s the sort of thing I would expect from a Half-Life sequel.

They shouldn’t try to emulate anything else, obviously, but medikits and the lack of ADS has nothing to do with making the game what it was. They should take it as far as it can possibly go.

That was really my problem with Starcraft 2. Instead of moving forward, Blizzard just dug in. That’s pretty underwhelming to me.

10. Charlie Sheen

^half life 3 gameplay?

11. BULArmy

So DSB you think we must have another COD-like game with great story or something that was from one age in which I think games were overall of better quality?
    I really don’t think the FPS genre can evolve in some way. I don’t see new features that can be included. Maybe we just haven’t seen a shooter with RPG style story progression, with dialog trees and important choices needed to be done through the whole game, which change dramatically what happen.

12. manamana

They are so taking this to next gen consoles with a Source engine redefined from scratch. Simply put, they don’t want to see a huge gap between Pc and consoles. So maybe they got to the point where its to late for this gen lifecycle to realease such an highly anticipated game.

13. DSB

@11 You won’t have trouble finding people who prefer to stay in the past.

Nevertheless, the only thing that ensures is that nothing happens. That doesn’t fit my definition of “better”. That’s just digging a hole.

My argument is that they shouldn’t care about any paradigm or feature, or anything else that might be expected of them. They should do whatever they can, to make it all that it can be.

The reason why modern shooters are sometimes loathed by people is because they do just that. They grab the same features as the last one and roll with that, and progress is made not in inches, but in fractions of inches.

Seeing Valve do the same, even if they grab those features from one of their own games, would be sad, and I don’t see what you think you have to gain, by having them hold themselves back.

14. TheWulf

They managed Portal 2 after Portal, and with aplomb.

That is all.

15. Fnoros

@11 I have ideas for how to improve the FPS genre! (disclaimer: i have no actual experience, i’m just a bored person)

1. More player mobility – as far as most games are concerned, the players are just sliding rectangles with guns. A military FPS character should be able to complete a military obstacle course! (Brink tried this, but the rest of the game was kind of meh…)
    1a. having a body in first person! it really helps with immersion. Valve could learn a lot from Far Cry 2 when it comes to healing animations…

2. More combat style variety – the vast, vast majority of combat in FPS games is either at CQB ranges or sniping. Having periods of more thoughtful, long ranged combat would be good. Also, suppression systems, and enhanced and more immersive melee (no “kevlar balloons”) would be a great thing in my opinion.

3. More puzzle solving – this is more specific to half-life rather than FPSes in general, but what if we got to do more SCIENCE?! Gordon DOES have a degree from MIT, doesn’t he? And if that is too hardcore for gamers, more physics puzzles and the addition of tactical puzzles would be welcome by me, especially if the physical puzzles involved the above improved mobility.

So yeah, there are definitely possibilities of improving the genre, especially if an untrained average joe like me can come up with some.