New Super Mario Bros 2 coming to 3DS this August

Saturday, 21st April 2012 04:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nintendo’s announced New Super Mario Bros 2 for 3DS, confirming an August launch for the sequel in Japan.

The game was announced as part of the latest Nintendo Direct, shown right at the end of the stream.

Nintendo of America has confirmed on its Twitter it’ll released the game in the US this August as well alongside the Japanese release.

No details for Europe have been announced, but those are expected to arrive when the European version of Nintendo Direct airs at 1pm BST this afternoon.

There’s caps of it below, via Japanese blog Esuteru.

1. ejams

This is going to be good for the 3DS, but as it stands with me, it’s just another sidescrolling mario game. I know that’s how it’s suppose to be, but Nintendo doesn’t usually change a lot with their current franchises since they know it works. Pokemon? Formula works, keep it the same but add new content. Zelda? Formula works, lets keep it the same and add new content (excluding skyward sword here). Mario? Same deal. Until they do something like Mario Sunshine again, it’s just another mario game. Man I loved Sunshine :)

2. DLTDawnlight

Despite the screens looking so milked, it’s still going to be a quality title for the 3DS. NSMBWii was disappointing IMO.

3. Christopher Jack

& People complain about the likes of CoD, Halo & Assassins Creed being milked… I’ve no problem with the infinite re-releases that Nintendo keeps shooting out, my problem with them is that their only franchise that I personally like are the Pokemon (main series) games & that’s mainly nostalgia, I’d think from a non-objective pov, it’d likely prove to be a below average JRPG. Well as long as people enjoy their purchases, I don’t care, have fun Mario fans.

4. Gekidami

Same old same old. With Mario, they’re not even milking the franchise with sequels, they’re just rereleasing the same game over and over with stuff shifted around in the stages.

Anyway, queue ‘OG, the Ten Paragraph Nintendo Defender™’.

5. Lightmanone

I like new games and I like old games. But the Mario franchise always will be one of my most loved ones. I was surprised how fast I went through the Mario 3DS one. So I hope this one will be a bit longer. Especially the levels themselves. Maybe a bit bigger. But still: the more the better IMO :D

6. Erthazus

Milked or not, it’s a game that has pure quality and good mechanics.

While Sony is “Forever Alone” with it’s consumers on the Vita that does not have Games at all.

Better have something that is milked and with the quality then have “No Games”. So far games are announced for the 3DS and even Nomura is thinking about the TWEWY sequel, while 3rd party is not very excited about the Vita. Even first party is not that excited so far…

No Games.

7. benzitor

@6 I have a vita and i am fine, thank you. I still have enough games until the next batch.
    I think weather you are a 12yo that spit his hatred toward the Vita and Sony, or you are a Nintendo fans, blinded by the same old same old nostalgia we see on those screens.

I prefere to have few excelent games with diversity, and new ips, than have few reharsh of games we traditionaly see on ninty handhelds, since the first gameboy appeared ( pokemon…Mario…zelda… )

And don’t worry my friend, we, Vita players, are not expecting a TWEWY, but some full scaled Final Fantasy, like Type 0, that will release as a Vita game in our shores.

Don’t be so black and white. If you enjoy Mario over and over again, fine, bur please, play other games as well, you might discover the beauty and purity of gameplay diversity… Check on Trials, Fez, Sumioni, Patapon… I dont no man, leave Nintendo for a while, there is a big large world out there.

8. Erthazus

@7, For your information i have Playstation Vita and i don’t have 3DS.

Playstation Vita has no games at all right now. I bought the system with games like Wipeout 2058, Rayman Origins (PORT) and Uncharted:GA

Currently waiting for Gravity Rush, but that’s it.

SMB2 maybe is milked and it’s a reharsh of traditional games… it’s still is a quality game.

“ita players, are not expecting a TWEWY”

So they are not expecting a MASTERPIECE? Oh wow. You know, i want that for my Vita. I want it so much. It was my favourite game on the original DS.

And better have quality reharshes then PORTS and “No Games” for 40 EUR. Seriously.

9. OrbitMonkey

TWEWY?

10. Erthazus

@9, The World Ends With You.

11. Gekidami

List last updated 17 days ago, doesnt include digital titles, only focuses on ‘big games’, no shovelware:

April to October 2012: Vita = 5 / 3DS = 7

TBA 2012: Vita = 14 / 3DS = 7

TBA 2013: Vita = 1 / 3DS = 1

TBA no date: Vita = 1 / 3DS = 1

Time since each platform was released (using earliest, Japanese dates): Vita = 5 months / 3DS = 1 year 2 months.

But dont let the facts get in your way.

Anyway, what does this have to do with Vita? Yet again, red herring fallacy.

12. SplatteredHouse

That looks nothing like Super Mario Bros. 2. :(
    Not a new version of it, either, it’s unrecognisable!

13. polygem

it´s NEW super mario bros 2…a “sequel” to the ds game.
    not a super mario 2 remake. it really is getting confusing.

not bad news, will probably be a great game but i´m not hyped.

14. Fin

Nintendo are actually far worse than any other company for rereleasing old IP, or releasing rehashed games.

Can anyone name the last original IP Nintendo made? Probably Pokemon (1996). Before that, I’ve no idea.

15. benzitor

Ok then,you prefer a reharsh if its a great game: what about all the great games like Katamari, sumioni, motorstorm, stardust, Tales of space, disgaea, hot shot golf, blazblue, MvsC3, escape plan, lumines, Ninja gaiden… all of them a amazing games, and some are even dirt cheap. Don’t tell me that you have a vita, that you expect TWEWY, and you didnt even consider one of those games… Seems odd to me. On top of that, there is tones of PSP games i am sure you never played, like Lunar, Y’s7, Tactics Ogre, Patapon, Locoroco,peace walker, syphon filter, ….all very damn cheap, and brillant to play on Vita.

When i say we are not waiting TWEWY, i mean the public of the Vita is a playstation oriented public. A public that grew with FF7 in mind. I enjoyed TWEWY, really enjoyed it, as an original RPG, but i wouldnt die for a sequel, as it stands for itself.

As for no games, like another person pointed out, there might be no anouncment yet, but there is still games like LBP mortal kombat, mgs hd, gravity rush, alien spidy, oddworld,Ys4, zone of enders, Persona4, Sound shapes, Retro city rampage, zero escape…. Before we even pass any E3 and TGS…

If you have a Vita, you seem pretty unaware of the games already released, or yet to come. And if a NSMB2 is exciting you more than the list i have posted, i guess buying the Vita was a huge mistake for an old DS owner. Why didnt you buy a 3DS then ???

16. benzitor

@14 Pikmin is their best new IP, at it dates from 2002 … But its true, Nintendo lack the creative power they are famous for.
    And sony are often blamed for reusing their ips ( dixit the test of golden abyss, or the news of GOW4 ) when they have released at list 15 new ips on this generation.

I guess relesing 1 game of each per gen is the key to make people thirsty for more and buy the next gen console of the same console maker.

17. Erthazus

@Gekidami, “Vita = 5 months / 3DS = 1 year 2 months.
    Since release the 3DS has already had E3 & the TGS to reveal new games, Vita has yet to reach its first big event.”

No one gives a flying fuck about big events if you want to succeed.
    It’s like saying that Origin is going to be good in the future and that it is still need more time to polish in the future because Steam was released earlier.

If you want to be good, you need to do better from the start. Like Apple do from the start with their devices.

“Anyway, what does this have to do with Vita?”

Absolutely nothing. Same goes to douches like you that thinks that Mario is “Same old same old.” for no reason at all.

@benzitor “Katamari, sumioni, motorstorm, stardust, Tales of space, disgaea, hot shot golf, blazblue, MvsC3, escape plan, lumines, Ninja gaiden…”

Touch my Katamari is not a good game
    Sumioni is not a good game
    Motorstorm RC is not a good game
    Stardust is a good game, ok.
    Tales of what?
    Disgaea is a PORT
    Hot Shot Golf… are you serious?
    Blazblue – PORT
    MvsC3 – PORT
    Escape Plan – is not a good game but had a lot of potential
    Lumines – i dunno, not my thing. but it’s a good product and it’s too niche.
    Ninja Gaiden – Lol?

“Don’t tell me that you have a vita”

I bought it at launch for your info and all games you described to me, i’m not interested at all so far.
    I bought (I will repeat) Uncharted:GA, Wipeout 2048, Rayman:O. I should probably buy Stardust and i’m waiting for Gravity Rush.

“that you expect TWEWY”

I’m not expecting TWEWY at all. I’m expecting good games.

“before we even pass any E3 and TGS…”

Yup and after these events i will decide if i want to sell my Vita or not.

“If you have a Vita, you seem pretty unaware of the games already released, or yet to come.”

I’m pretty much aware of every game that is coming to Vita in the future. I want Bioshock for Vita and maybe Call Of duty and new JRPG (Not a port), i want LittleKing’s Story.

But that’s not enough for me. I need more. I really want good RPG’s on it.

“And if a NSMB2 is exciting you more than the list i have posted, i guess buying the Vita was a huge mistake for an old DS owner. Why didnt you buy a 3DS then ???”

first, i’m not excited for NSMB2 because i’m not really a fan of latest Mario Games but saying that it is a reharsh is just stupid.
    Second, i didn’t buy 3DS because it is a piece of shit device that is not worth the money in my opinion. It’s an outdated PSP hardware with horrible design and one Thmbstick… That’s just last year’s story.

Sony made a good hardware this time and i had high expectations for games. I liked it’s launch lineup. It was good, but after that they should do better because there are NO GAMES for it. Duh~

18. alterecho

Hey… Why does the 3rd and 4th screenshots remind me of Mickey Mouse Castle Of Illusion?

19. OlderGamer

“Anyway, queue ‘OG, the Ten Paragraph Nintendo Defender™’”

Really?

There is nothing to defend here, look at the 3DS sales numbers. They speak for themself.

I like the tradmark symbol tho, cute ;)

Just yesterday I got accused of being in love with Sony, make up your minds people.

20. absolutezero

I’d like a new Metroid if thats alright. Its by far my favourite Nintendo IP.

Of course Sakamoto did take a massive shit on the franchise and effectively killed it dead in one fell stroke.

Fuck you Other M.

21. benzitor

@erthazus
    Telling 90% of the list are bad games, because you dont like them, or they are ports is a bit overacting i think. And its your opinion about the 3DS. I am a big PSP gamer, and an owner of a Vita, but i would never say the 3DS is a piece of shit. It is not as good as i expected, but what counts are games, and only RE and Mickey could make me buy one in a blink.

Only a Sith thinks in absolute ;) ( eh eh eh love this sentence )

22. Da Man

*YAWN*

23. polygem

vita is great, lots of games for it already but it really desperatley needs new ones. as much as i enjoy the vita right now i am not overly impressed by it´s games. golden abyss was very mediocore imo. i enjoy wipeout 2048 but wipeout hd/ fury is so much better. super stardust is awesome but nothing new really. i could go on…i still got high hopes for the next wave of games though. the hardware is pretty impressive and it really is a sexy device.
    the 3ds has some true gems already. i am not a fan of playing RE on the 3ds. i do not need these games for it. super mario land, mario kart and even pilotwings are awesome games for the 3ds. it´s a great system too. right now it has the better games imo. the vita games kind of didn´t impress me yet. they look pretty impressive though. uncharted for example dind´t controll that great imo. it felt clunky. the dual analog sticks are pretty unprecise. this works better in unit 13 but still it all feels a bit clunky compared to a console shooter. the touch feels unnaturally implemented in most games. super mario land and mario kart is just perfect gameplay.

24. lexph3re

@Erth I see you have a lot of criticism towards Vita game’s you don’t own. Why don’t you try Shinodido 2 out? Even though reviews we’re mixed my friend and I found it very entertaining and fun. I don’t think I agree that Motor storm Rc is crap, I hate racers but found myself doing A LOT of the time attacks,speed runs, and just goofing around on the game. Super Star Dust Delta is AWESOME I never got into the console version but after playing it on vita I just wonder WTH was wrong with me?

Did you try Dungeon Hunter Alliance? Several of my friends said that game was pretty addictive. I’m really not seeing the claim there’s no games when you tell me you only bought 3. That’s not a very strong supporting argument. It’s just an over bearing opinion that is conceived from reviewers and demos.

Vast majority of handheld titles are “play at your own risk”. You take a chance because their usually pretty new methods of playing a game or IP to try out. I am very impressed with vita’s offerings and I have not fallen short of fun entertaining games.

On topic…. Another Mario game huh? Should that be news or just something we naturally know is going to happen? Like when the sun sets or water runs.

25. Da Man

*YAAAWN*

26. Gekidami

Like i said, dont let facts get in your way.

27. benzitor

@Polygem i could say the same about mario or mario kart. They play way better on non handheld systems.

I wouldnt even dare compare MArio3D to Galaxy, as the first is totally standard in every way.

Golden abyss is in my opinion a way better Uncharted than the First one, and the gyro really gives an edge in term of shooting.

I guess its up to everyone’s taste weither you believe the gameplay of mario or uncharted is perfect.

28. polygem

@27: i have to disagree. mario 3d land is a very different game from the awesome mario galaxy. it plays perfectly on the 3ds. it feels and plays like it has been made for that platform. mario kart 7 is one of my all time favourite MK games…it is definitley better…much better than the wii version, so you actually can compare those imo. uncharted ga feels like a remade uncharted 1 plus all the new touch screen stuff, but the game suffers from that imo. it´s not making the game better. it is not a bad game. not at all. some touch stuff is great, esp. in the puzzles. cutting bamboo is a good example for bad implementation.
    but don´t get me wrong here. i really like the vita! i just think the games aren´t there yet. they are the first wave of games for the system and you can feel that i think. i believe there are great things coming for it in the near future though – but most of the launch games feel like launch games – only natural. i mean compared to the 3ds launch games they are great! so yea maybe it´s not fair to compare yet.

29. benzitor

@polygem i see what you mean, and i can agree for mario kart, and somehow mario. Even if the later didnt blew my mind on the 3DS.
    I personaly enjoy Golden abyss much more than Mario 3D, but it fits my style of game. And i can say that i like this episode much more than the first one. Uncharted one was a test, and some players prefere its more plateforming approach than the latest episode. I guess that makes the Vita episode a rework on the franchise since U2 and U3 were clearly oriented toward cinematic action, more than classic platforming/shooting.

That makes it, for me, as relevent as Mario 3D compared to Galaxy.

As for the lineup, yes, the games could have been better, but they can compare to second wave games on other plateforms…which is pretty impressive.
    I am like you, i wish Sony and third pary will blow us with some awesome games at E3 and TGS. Specialy some new IPs and RPGs.

30. OlderGamer

@Poly

At the risk of getting flammed, your looking for nintendo magic in non-nintendo games. Going to be hard to find tbh.

As for Vitas line up, I really would enjoy Dungeon Hunter and Modnation. really great games. But there both have console counter parts. And in the case of DH, the console PSN version is half the price of the Vita version.

One of the largest drawbacks for handhelds has always been the libary of games often just mimics the big brother games of said companies console. Great for some people that don’t have consoles or are on teh go a lot, but for most people, they would rather own the “fuller” version on a console. Or in many cases, maybe they already do, as most console versions are out before the handheld ones.

My wife and I already played through DH to end game on PS3.

Great game btw, it was my vote for download game of the year.

31. polygem

hehe…yea maybe.

the vita mimics the ps3 libary more than the 3ds does. at least how things are at the moment. i really hope there will be some unique vita games in the future – i think sony knows they have to deliver here if they want to push the vita – and sure they want that. it must not be new ips but the games should be made for the vita and not feel like half baked ports. killzone liberation for the psp was great. it was a killzone game but different. it was a great game built for a handheld system.

32. benzitor

@oldergamer
    I would add that both modnation and dongeon hunter, are real lazy ports on vita. First their price is really expensive ( Modnation is 25$ in platinum, and DH is 0,99 on iphone, plus there is 3 episodes ). Second, they are full of lags…not so cool.

33. benzitor

@polygem I agree that some are half baked port, but i found you very hard on most. Katamari for instence, is the best verion of this serie since the first on PS2 ( i have them all…i am a die hard fan ). Ninja gaiden is excellent. Rayman is more enjoyable than its Console counterpart. Stardust is a better game than on PS3, as Tales from space ( mutant blob ) is superior on vita as well. Stardrone … better on vita. Hustler king, top darts…better on vita.
    As you can see, not all are half baked, and even sometimes more enjoyable. Disgaea possess all the DLC for Free…better. The FIFA is amazing ( the rear touch is killer ). And lumines is really the ultimate version of this serie. And Virtua Tennis 4 is the better version as well

As for the other games, i found Uncharted and Wipeout equal, or superior to the console versions ( uncharted 1…of course )
    Motorstorm is for the serie what liberation was for Killzone…a fresh look. And escape plan is really great ( specialy since patch ). Sumioni is much much better than tests seems to say ( i have read several before buying, and they clearly havent played more than a run… lousy tests )
    I didnt like Unit13, not that its a bad game, but online gaming is not my stuff.

I think its an already very strong lineup, like you said, for a lineup.

What i try to say is that i found you really little critical when you talk about mario and MK, and very critical about Vita’s games.

I guess we need new IPs, and new concept of old IPs, but i can say that we also need some console classics on the vita. I Wish Capcom and Konami will give it some love, and not for Lost planet, or a spin off of silent hill that players honestly dont even expect.
    For me, what i like on the Vita so far, is that i can play Katamari or nin ja gaiden ( ports ), uncharted or Wipeout ( classic PS ip, but new games ) and escape plan or sumioni ( totally new games…dirt cheap )

If one was missing, i would not have buy the handheld.

34. polygem

@benzitor; you really got good points. some games for the vita are really really good. no doubt. many of those you mentioned i havent even played yet.
    i meant it more like generally. i think it has something to do with what OG said. i am just missing the magic. when i bought the psp and saw the first cutscene of medievil i was so stunned. it was a great gaming moment. maybe medievil got mediocore reviews and isn´t a great game. i loved it. it´s just one example. (and i want a medievil for the vita or ps3 so very very bad).
    i totally loved to play legend of zelda ocarina of time on the 3ds…when i got the vita and played uncharted i was stunned by the looks but not the gameplay. the spark was missing. same goes for all the other games i have payed on it yet. still it is an awesome system and i am sure those special games will come. again. the line up is strong already. some games are great….for me the spark´s just missing. YET.
    i do not regret buying the vita. i like it. i am sure some true masterpieces are just around the corner.

35. polygem

i play rayman origins atm. it really is awesome on the vita.
    i also have those new halo 4 screens as wallpapers on the vita. look great on a sony system too.

36. YoungZer0

@24: Don’t bother. Erth doesn’t play any games that have less than 90% at metacritic. He’s probably the only person i know that cares about scores that much.

In my opinion you can’t even take Nintendo serious any more.

37. ManuOtaku

Well i think vita has good games like the 3DS does, but i found the 3DS games more focus on the Handheld point of view, so far vita tittles are versions that exist in the ps3, and i think this issue also was a big focus on the psp, and for me is not a good way to go with a handheld device, i did love loco roco and patapon, both, but they are not that many more focused handheld psp/vita tittles, while the DS/3DS has a vast list of handheld focus tittles, and i mean by that tittles that fit the handheld mentality and that uses the strenght of the on the go mindset gaming, that an also games that use the especific vita tech, like the back touch panel, vita needs great games that uses this unique feature IMHO.

Also i like to point out that in my eyes, most of the mario games are not the same, they differ quite a bit for one another, mario 64 is very different from mario sunshine and mario galaxy as well, just like zelda and the metroid series, every new tittle focus on new ideas that make the experience fresh, just like any other franchises on the other consoles, the thing is that you need to like the series in the first place, if you dont like uncharted, gears of war, halo etc, and play all these games and all their sequels, all of them will be the same for you, and i mean all the games within the series, the same with mario,the important thing is that you need to like the series, thats all.