Rumour: Prey 2 development stymied by contract issues

Friday, 20th April 2012 01:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to industry whispers, Prey 2′s delay is the result of a protest action by developer Human Head.

Shack News cites an anonymous source for news that Human Head downed tools in November, ceasing all work on Prey 2.

The developer is said to have been unhappy with the terms of its contract with Bethesda parent company Zenimax, and effectively went on strike while re-negotiating.

Human Head staff are said to have been laid off during this process, with the intention for them to be rehired if and when Human Head secured a more favourable deal.

Unfortunately, rumour has it negotiations simply ceased in January, with Zenimax going silent, but picked up again by early March.

If true, Bethesda’s announcement of a delay overnight suggests the situation has now been resolved.

1. LOLshock92

This situation stinks like a dead smelt.

2. burrsalem

I love Bethesda Game Studios. The developer. Bethesda/Zenimax the publisher and parent company has come off like really poorly in recent months though. Withholding a bonus from Obsidian because Fallout: New Vegas got an 84 rather than an 85 on Metacritic. The outwardly ridiculous dust-up with Mojang over the name “Scrolls”. Threatening to sue a guy for giving away free Fallout inspired art. Get it together Bethesda.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

There are no winners in this kinda situation…

4. The_Red

Now this makes sense.
    “Didn’t meet our quality standards” my ass. Seriously, stop fucking around Bethesda and let this promising title become what it deserves to be.

5. endgame

What Red said!

6. TheWulf

Bethesda really are turning into a bunch of jerks. I wonder if they see it?

“Hey guys, the soulless nature of corporatism has gripped you and you’re becoming like EA. You’re privately owned, you could be cool like Valve, but no… you’re even riddled with cubicles, man. CUBICLES! For shame.”

:P

It’s funny though because it’s true. I wonder what’s up with that, really. I do think that they could use getting in touch with reality a bit more, though, because I feel that Bethesda should be cooler than they actually are. At the moment, with all the things they’ve been doing lately, they’ve just been big old jerks.

7. TheWulf

To explain the last post a bit, they’re probably trying to force the same incredibly shitty deal on them that they forced on Obsidian. After seeing how it went south for Obsidian, they’ve wisely decided to renegotiate, thinking that Bethesda could screw them over just as easily.

So I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is just Bethesda being a bunch of pricks, and they’ve really been nothing but, lately. It’s like they desperately want to be mini-EA.

8. TD_Monstrous69

You know, this doesn’t come as much as a suprise to me. Bethesda as a publisher has a scetchy-at-best history. I mean, there are the obvious apporant quality games like WET and Rogue Warrior, but even the good games they’ve published like Fallout New Vegas and RAGE had really bad issues, and a lot of those issues were because of the way Bethesda treated the developers working on the games. I’m glad Human Head took a stand, and also hope that they’re still working on Prey 2. Because for what I’ve seen of it, the game had a lot of promise.