Splash Damage unveils strategy-based RAD Soldiers

Thursday, 19th April 2012 11:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Splash Damage has unveiled its first project post-Brink this morning, a free-to-play title known as RAD Soldiers.

The game is a turn-based strategy action game, and is promised to be “high-quality”, with connected experiences set to be one one of the game’s key aspects. It’ll be coming soon to iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

“Turn-based combat means there’s no rush, allowing you to ponder your next move at your leisure, and giving you ample time to unleash your inner tactical genius and you’ll earn valuable experience for your soldiers whenever you play, leveling up your squad commander to unlock new abilities,” said game director Richard Jolly.

“You’ll also earn coins while you play and use them to unlock brand new soldiers, customization options and equipment in the ever expanding in-game store and use Game Center and Facebook to connect with friends and make new ones,” added Splash Damage boss Paul Wedgwood.

Splash Damage promises it will still do development for hire outside of RAD Soldiers, with two projects currently in the works: a AAA PC-only game and a title for consoles.

Splash has also announced the formation of a new digital publisher called Warchest. Wedgwood will take the reins as CEO, while Jolly will be its CCO.

The London-based studio’s last game was dystopian-based shooter Brink, published by Bethesda last May for PS3, 360 and PC.

Get the first video and shots of it below.

1. manamana

Wow, after the brink bugfest they need to gain money on the iOS platforms, I guess. Hopefully to come back witth a brink 2 and this time with better QA …

2. nofear360

@ 1: It’s not that simple. They are starting something big, I’d say. Read more here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168760/Brink_developers_next_moves_Freetoplay_publishing_backend_support.php

3. freedoms_stain

I hope self-publishing works out for them.

i.e. hope they don’t fire half finished games out the door and take half a year to patch them up to standard.

4. viralshag

I liked Brink…

5. freedoms_stain

@4, do you have it on PC? I have it but rarely played it after the 1st week and mounting frustration with bugs, but I’d give it another shot.

6. viralshag

I have it on both PC and 360 (I think but I might have traded it in due to having it on Steam).

I really only bought the Steam version because it was on sale only to find, to my horror, that it didn’t support pads. But if you want a game or two, I’ll happily join you.

7. freedoms_stain

@6, it does support pads, but they didn’t make a very user-friendly in-game config option see here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888584

I’d give the game another go, might reinstall it later.

8. viralshag

@7, That’s awesome! I’m going to give it a whirl on the PC for sure then. I might be about later but I’m playing footy tonight, I should be online at some point over the weekend. If you see me on and fancy a game just give me a shout.

9. manamana

@nofear360 thanks a lot for the link. They are trying interesting stuff and by the look of it, they are deep into nextgen arrangements.

10. DSB

That looks pretty good, although I agree that it does feel like they’re being sent to “small game” purgatory for dropping the ball on Brink.

For me it was a huge disappointment. It was mediocre, but I think Homefront showed that there just isn’t room for mediocre shooters these days. There’s too much else to go for.

The thing that really drags it down for me is the fact that it was actually a step down from Quake Wars. That was a fundamentally good game. All they had to do was build on it.