Dark Souls may not use Games for Windows Live

Thursday, 19th April 2012 00:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Namco Bandai has already proved it listens to the PC crowd by porting Dark Souls over, and may just bend an ear to vehement protestations against the unpopular Games for Windows Live.

Speaking to EDGE, Namco Bandai’s Daisuke Uchiyama said it hadn’t yet locked down which DRM tool Dark Souls will use, despite announcing it as a GFWL title.

“The partnership decision is still ongoing. We might have another announcement soon regarding the platform we’ll be using,” he said, explaining that Namco Bandai had initially defaulted to Microsoft’s system thanks to an already established relationship over the Xbox 360 version.

“There have been a lot of questions about the digital partner,” colleague Carlson Choi added.

“But we’re still in April and the game isn’t out until August 24. There is still a lot of time for marketing beats. More information will come – maybe at E3.”

A petition against the inclusion of GFWL in Dark Souls has amassed 20,000 signatures so far; it took 90,000 for Namco Bandai to agree to port the RPG.

From Software has been very open about the fact that the PC version of Dark Souls is a straight port, without graphical tweaks or keyboard and mouse optimisation, but it has thrown in two new bosses, one new NPC, an overhauled multiplayer matchmaking system, and a bunch of new enemies and weapons, which is some consolation.

At an event attended by VG247, director Hidetaka Miyazaki emphasised the company’s inexperience with PC development and hinted that the studio may explore things like modding in future games, should the community get behind them.

Thanks, MCV.

1. Stardog

Stick it on Steam without GFWL and be done with it.

We will buy it.

2. TheWulf

p much

My sole disappointment with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet thus far is that it uses GfWL. That’s it. It’s a great game, but did it have to use that? GfWL is always a pain in the arse, because Microsoft’s servers aren’t that great.

Same as EA’s, really. I keep getting connectivity issues with ME3, which is irritating. I wish developers would stop relying on this stupidity. Just put it up on Steam and be done with it.

I mean, sure, Steam has an online component – but one I’ve never had any trouble with. In other words, Steam’s servers don’t suck.

3. aseddon130

i dont get peoples problems with GFWL it’s perfectly fine and works well.

plus, achievements.

Stop bitching over nothing people.

4. absolutezero

Im stuck being told that Steam’s Servers are too busy to let me download the Sniper Elite demo.

At 1 in the morning.

Anyway, this is a good thing. I just don’t know how well its going to be recieved at 720p, 30 FPS locked. I wish it all the best really.

“i dont get peoples problems with GFWL it’s perfectly fine and works well.”

No it does not work well. Thats the entire problem, its a broken piece of shit and it has been since it launched. A short simple google will let you know the litany of bugs, errors and time wasting that GfWL inflicts on those that have to use it.

Also no one gives a fuck about achievements.

5. albo88

played the xbox version horrible framerate

6. TheWulf

That Steam problem is usually a problem with the server it’s routing through, try changing that in the options.

A little imagination and the initiative to see it through will solve most of your problems.

You may have a problem there, though. :P

7. Kabby

Steam Only. Not locked to 30fps. – Thumbs Up.
    Anything else. – Thumbs Down.

This is how it is.

8. Judicas

oh well… if it doesn’t use gfwl i guess they have lost a sale from me

9. Keivz

@3 & @8.
    Agreed. Count me as a GFWL fan too. I’ve got quite a few games that use it and I love how intuitive it is. Plus it integrates well with the 360 controller. If a game uses it, I’m more keen to buy it.

10. Erthazus

GFWL is crap. STEAM only.

11. Patrick Garratt

I think they need to listen to the community on this. The only reason they’re making it is because so many people said they’d buy it. It’ll be impressive if they do switch.

12. endgame

@2 What? Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet uses Games for Windows Live? Thks for the warning. I was going to buy it but.. NOT ANY MORE. :)

@3 Dude you like GfWL. Good for you! Buy the games that use it! We don’t like it! We WILL NOT buy the games that use it. Easy as that. Now stfu and don’t tell us what’s right and what’s wrong for us. Don’t tell us what to do.

@7 and 10 Exactly! :)

13. LOLshock92

Video game companies should listen to our ideas more.

14. absolutezero

Video Game companies should step the fuck up on this kind of shit and stop fucking crying.

15. viralshag

Don’t have a problem with GFWL, I actually quite like that it links to the same profile on my 360.

16. endgame

@15 “..it links to the same profile on my 360.” And there’s your problem.

17. viralshag

@16, How’s that a problem? I have a profile that’s tracked over two different platforms… Oh woe is me.

18. endgame