Sony Online Entertainment is pretty chuffed with how going free-to-play has revived 13 year old MMORPG Everquest.
The video below boasts of a new influx of “passionate” returning players in the wake of the conversion, and also shows off the significant graphical strides the game has made while remaining modestly low-spec.
There’s also a bit of a show reel of the game’s many, many expansions, which goes some way towards explaining why one of the first major MMORPGs continues to stand alongside newer heavyweights like World of Warcraft.
Good for you, Everquest! Keep plugging away. Here are a few key stats from the accompanying press release showing the game’s growth since transitioning to free-to-play:
- Concurrent usage is up 40% since going F2P
- 125% increase in Item Sales
- Unique log-ins have increased by 150%
- EQ registrations have increased 3.5 times since F2P
- The most popular Races purchased are Dark Elves and Drakkin
- The most popular Classes purchased are Necromancers and Shaman
- The most popular Mount purchased is the Black Pegasus (AKA Onyx Skystrider)
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.