CD Projekt Red: The Witcher 2 is for grown-ups

Wednesday, 18th April 2012 07:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings isn’t supposed to be family friendly, and coming to consoles doesn’t change that.

Speaking to Rock Paper Shotgun, managing director Adam Badowski said CD Projekt doesn’t cater to kids, but it’s not out for cheap titillation either.

“Our game is targeted to a grown-up audience. Watching the opposite sex naked is quite pleasant, but real adults don’t get excited over a nipple,” he said of the RPG’s famous sexual content.

“They are a part of our world and their appearance in other media doesn’t shock anyone. The nudity in our game serves the story, it’s a form of artistic expression – they are a part of the game world.”

The developer stressed that CD Projekt doesn’t much care for mass market appeal, instead cornering a core demographic of gamers keen on adult storytelling.

“There are few games like The Witcher 2, and we are not afraid to say, ‘Hey, we are not a game for everyone. We won’t treat you as a child – at any level,’” Badowski said.

“The gaming community is growing, and every demographic has something for themselves. Diversifying and finding your target is important. We’ve chosen ours – adults who want ambitious games. And we will stick to that.”

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition is out now on Xbox 360, and as a free upgrade for PC.

Thanks, FahedJ. [image]

1. TheWulf

Yeeeeah but saying that the Witcher 2 is for grown-ups in this context, CDPRED, is the same as saying Mortal Kombat was for grown-ups back in the day. It’s weird that they’re trying to pass it off as being respectable in any way, as one of it’s marketing values is that it isn’t. Much in the way that Mortal Kombat wasn’t. Or at least, as I understand it.

So they’re probably confusing their marketing message with this.

2. Quige

Can certainly vouch for it not being family friendly – I had forgotten how crude the language was since playing it last year on PC. The only game that I remember playing that uses the c-word. Not sure that the sex scenes and ‘visiting’ prostitues doesn’t qualify as titilation, but also refreshing on some level that the realism is followed through when distracting a guard by hiring a prostitue, that she takes him off behind a bush and gets down on her knees. It’s a difficult one, but on the whole I think they are to be applauded for trying to appeal to a more ‘mature’ audience, and not just in these aspects, but in the plot generally, with less black and white and a whole lot more grey.

3. frostquake

If they want to make a game that is “cheap titillation” then go for it, it will have a market too! Make whatever game you want!

I never understand this kind of “Journalism”? Why do people even bother to report on this? Especially with the “rating” system on games now?

Do reporters bother to report on rated “R” or rated “X” movies? Of course these are not for children, hence the freaking rating!! G movies have their market, PG movies have their market, PG-13 movies have their market, R movies have their market, and X movies have their market. So simple, why bother reporting on something so stupid??

Books: (children)Clifford the Big Red Dog (tweens)I have no clue (teens)I have no clue (young adult)I have no clue(adults) I don’t know..LOL. But the point is you don’t report on this, In most books stores their are sections for each type and age group!

Magazine: Same here from Winnie-The-Pooh Monthyly Magazine all the way up to Huster Magazine..They all have their freaking markets!

This notion of talking to developers about why they don’t have a family friendly game in God of War or Witcher, is like asking why developers don’t have Spyro Skylanders who go around humping monster prostitutes and asking for reverse cowgirls…THEY ALL HAVE THEIR FREAKING GROUPS!!

Would a Journalist really think to go to Activision and say, Hey were just curious why you didn’t make Spyro more realistic with PURPLE BALLS and Long Purple Dong?? REALLY REALLY!!

Sometimes I think that some people won’t be happy until were all wearing the same color of clothes, only eating gray porridge, driving the same colored car, and only having sex in one position!!!

Ok I will get off me SOAP BOX…ROFL

Stay Frosty my Fiends!

4. OrbitMonkey

I really think it depends on whose nipple to be fair…

5. endgame

“The Witcher 2 is for grown-ups” Why does everyone think of sex and vulgar language when they hear this? A mature game is not only about those. It’s not even about brutal fighting sequences. It’s about the state of the world you play in, about your choices, about what you feel when you make them and how others in the game world react to them. And it’s even more than that. You guys should probably read the books to understand what I mean. I’m pretty bad at explaining stuff. :(

6. viralshag

@5, I think you’re spot on to be honest.

The TV series of Game of Thrones has swearing, violence, sex and nudity and I don’t see anyone saying that’s *not* a show for adults or a mature show.

I actually don’t see a huge amount of difference between the attitudes of some characters in either that or The Witcher.

7. endgame

@6 Well, the worlds are very different. For the record I will say that I’ve read the Witcher books (the two that are translated), I’ve played both games, I’ve read The Game of Thrones and I’ve also seen the first TV season. Now. What I meant by “the worlds are very different” is that while the world of GoT is a bit more generic (though still quite fascinatig) the Witcher world is anything but. There are constant wars, there is a lot of killing, rape and racial animosity and everywhere you go there are monsters roaming the lands. In a nutshell, it’s not safe and it’s a very very sad place to be. Trust me, if a kid would read the Witcher books he would either not understand much or be left very very scared and depressed by the time he would be finished with them. On the other hand The Game of Thrones book is quite more tame. A similar analogy could be made for the games and TV series.

8. DSB

I thought the Witcher books were very mediocre personally, but it might be down to a poor translation. I recently started on the Game of Thrones books, and there’s certainly a world of difference in terms of the writing and composition.

I actually think CD Project Red managed to write a game that outdid the books. To me it’s nothing short of a milestone, and I certainly hope that the writers from CDPR aren’t snapped up by Hollywood. We need guys like that.

I think endgame hits the nail on the head though. Comparing the Witcher 2 to Mortal Kombat just means you choose to ignore 80% of the game.

It’s not a question of the level of violence or sex, but how it’s actually used. In that sense I’d say that something like Mass Effect is actually more childish for incorporating sex in a completely awkward and unreal way. I think the game would’ve come off as more mature if it didn’t have those sex scenes, because they seem to show just how timid and uncomfortable the developers are around it.

As opposed to something like The Witcher, where sex is something a lot more visceral and true to life.

9. sh4dow

“real adults don’t get excited over a nipple”

True. But most people on this planet don’t grow up. There is only a small fraction that stops getting excited about e.g. some actress showing a breast in a movie. And the same goes of course for women and abs.

@7 GoT is “tame”?! You’re kidding, right? At least when it comes to the TV show…
    I’ve played both The Witcher 1 & 2 with great pleasure because while there was a lot of “moral gray area”, there was still a sense of good and bad, not everybody was an a-hole, etc.
    Quite different at least in the first episode of GoT. I never even watched the second one because I felt there is NOTHING to hold on to in the first episode. It is just one corrupt, brutal, primitive pig after the other (and whoever isn’t a pig is just “meat” and doesn’t do anything), committing one despicable act after the other and no sense of hope. With The Witcher, there is at least Geralt, trying to do some good (if that’s the way you chose to play…).

10. endgame

@9 1. The world of A Game of Thrones is tame compared to the world of The Witcher. 2. Why are you talking if you haven’t seen the whole season or if you haven’t even read the book? 3. There are a lot of good characters in A Game of Thrones as well.

11. endgame

@8 Well, I think both the stories from the Witcher books and games are really good. I’ve enjoyed them. The stories from A Game of Thrones.. eeeh. I didn’t really like the book too much. It was ok. But I think the TV series was better. It felt more.. lively. :) I think it helped tremendously that George R. R. Martin got himself into the project.

12. Sadismek

As far as I know, A Game of Thrones is the name of the first book in the series. The series is named A Song of Ice and Fire.