To the Moon releasing on Steam “within the next month or two”

Tuesday, 17th April 2012 21:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Kan Gao, the composer for To the Moon, has announced the title will be released on Steam “within the next month or two,” according to a Twitter post. The lovely game puts players in the shoes of a elderly man who wishes to relive his life and change his past. The game can be yours now through the developer, Freebird Games, for $11.95 if you don’t wish to wait. Watch the trailer below. Via Polygon.

1. TheWulf

That is such a lovely little thing, so full of heart, soul, and emotion. I’ve known Disney and Pixar films to not have the impact that that did, what one man managed to pull off with mere 2D sprites and tilesets is a true testament to what can be done with gaming if you’re not just aiming for the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the lowest common denominator.

It really does have soul, it’s moving, touching, poignant, warm, and it never betrays you, it’s never intellectually dishonest, and all in al it just wants to tell you a fairytale wrapped up in Sci-Fi and dreams. And I’m completely okay with that. I’m more than okay with that.

In this overly cynical world of ours where most people are just complete bloody sociopaths who hate each other (on the Internet especially), and with our entertainment reflecting that endless drama, betrayal, and stupidity, it’s nice to actually drop into a fairytale which is so full of heart, something that I can empathise with, characters that I can actually care about. That’s part of what escapism is.

To the Moon is the sort of story that could never happen in reality in a billion years, because of human nature. It absolutely is a fairy tale, a dream, and something akin to a kid’s film. But yeah, I’m an old fart, I remember a time when I pondered over the worth of the fairytale due to how decent the people in them were compared to the reality we know.

But as someone who’s seen a decade too many, I welcome them now. Visions of humanity that absolutely can never really be, but definitely something worth aspiring too. So, yes, this is a fairy tale and I like fairy tales. I’m sure we’ll have some cool kinds telling me how much of a wimp I am for going for such a thing, but…

Eh.

Frankly?

Proud to be a wimp.

What I will wrap up with here is that this is one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. It left its mark on me and I have fond memories of it. It made me tear up more than once, not ashamed to admit it. And the raw emotion of the story pulled me along like a tide, from start to finish, I just couldn’t let go.

I had to take these little breaks in between playing just to process it intellectually and emotionally, but I couldn’t bring myself to play anything else in between. When I was playing To the Moon, it was just To the Moon. I’ve never played anything like it before, and I honestly don’t know if I ever will again going by the state of the gaming market.

But it was a singular thing of brilliance and beauty. I won’t call it art because I don’t really know what art is, and it’s a subjective mess anyway. I feel it would be a disservice calling it art in the same way that it would be calling the best Pixar or Disney films art. But it’s beautiful, it’s gods damned beautiful, you’ll never play anything else like this.

It may not be “gamey” enough for some of the hip kids out there who feel that a game has to have X or Y to quantify their experience, but if you can approach this with an open mind, and you have absolutely any imagination and emotional capacity at all, then you’re in for a treat that you will absolutely never forget.

2. DSB

I wonder why these developers don’t release on Steam to begin with. I already bought it, but I would’ve done so sooner if it had been on Steam.

3. Old MacDonald

DSB: They can’t just snap their fingers and get a spot on Steam. A lot of devs are turned down, even when their games are excellent. Take Cryptic Comet, for instance – they were rejected with the only reason being that their games “weren’t a good fit for Steam’s audience”.

Anyway, I wish I’d known about this as I also bought it from them a few weeks ago. Lovely little game, though, hope it sells well on Steam.

4. absolutezero

I guess I just have a slight problem with RPG Maker games being charged for. People make these things for fun and for free all the fucking time. Sure most of them are shit but thats beside the point why should I give my money to you?

Actually reading that top comment has put me off completely. If I start spewing shit like “but if you can approach this with an open mind, and you have absolutely any imagination and emotional capacity at all” you have my permission to kill me.

My faith in humanity takes another knock. ;_;

5. Old MacDonald

Absolutezero: I don’t really see why the fact that some people release RPG Maker games for free has anything to do with anything. A lot of people release Flash-games for free too, and that doesn’t make Machinarium any less worthy. RPG Maker is just a tool.

6. absolutezero

True and I loved Machinarium and I’ve bought a few other games built using flash.

I guess its just something about RPG Maker itself which I can not quite put my finger on, maybe its because they all look identical dispite the obvious effort put into differentiating them.

Point taken though.

7. DSB

It might go against the ethics of the community, but I think it’s fair enough to look at it as a tool, as long as the EULA says you can charge for it.

People do the same thing with AGS, and the Blackwell games as well as Gemini Rue is money extremely well spent as far as I’m concerned.

Of course those games probably take a bit more actual work than To the Moon did by the looks of things, but ultimately I feel it’s a question of whether you have something worth paying for, less than what you used to do it.

That said, I have the hugest amount of respect for the people who share their creations for free. A mensch, every last one of ‘em.

@3 Well I haven’t heard that, but some do have issues with their certification. Most of the devs I know of who have run into certification troubles have been able to talk to Valve about it and eventually ended up on the service.

I don’t know what Cryptic Comets numbers look like, but a service like Valve would probably lose money if it didn’t have an audience. Maybe it’s the size of it they’re referring to.

8. TheWulf

#3 is right.

A lot of developers have complained about this, and it seems like Origin is just as bad in this regard. But Steam has recently been opening up their borders more, so to speak, which is why this is finding a place on Steam now where it hadn’t originally.

9. TheWulf

That’s because this isn’t an RPG Maker game. Well, it is, but it isn’t an RPG. The thing is is that you can’t really comment or understand until you’ve played it. This is RPG in visual delivery only, but an adventure game in every other way. Still, the simplistic sprite and tile graphics do wonders for conveying the story, and I think the author knew that.

This isn’t one of those grindy games where you head into combat and bash things over the head. To be honest, most (if not all) RPG Maker games are terrible, which is why they have no price tag attached. Only one or two RPG Maker games have stood out as being even decent.

This isn’t an RPG though, just to say it again. And definitely not a JRPG. It’s only that in visual delivery alone. It completely eschews that and does incredibly clever things with scripting and story-telling.

This deserves the right to ask money for it. It’s completely different to all those instances of “Hi, I’m a clone of 16-bit Japanese RPG #4,532!”

To finish up: I note that you’re trying to parody me, but instead of actually parodying you’re just repeating what I’ve said in the past, word for word, ad verbatim. Cute. Monkey see, monkey do. Here, have a banana, hip kid. It’s okay, I have nothing against you for being far too incredibly, cosmically hip to even consider imagination or emotional depth. You trend-setter, you. (But yes, you can’t parody without an imagination. Just FYI. Doesn’t work.)

10. TheWulf

That said, I’m almost kind of glad #4 won’t be buying this. He’d turn into one of those mendicants who’d bitch endlessly about how much of a game it isn’t, whilst completely missing the point. He’s obviously not the sort of person who even considers braving even a meagre nose outside of the mainstream.

People like that depress me. They depress me even more when they think they’re clever just because they’re able to copy and paste things from past comments by me.