Analyst – Prototype 2 will “struggle to reach 500,000 units” its first year in the US

Tuesday, 17th April 2012 17:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz has deduced Prototype 2 will “struggle” to sell 500,000 units in the US during its first year on the market, predicting the title will see a “soft performance” compared to sales of the original title. Creutz noted the game has yet to break Amazon’s top 100 selling games charts, which was “typically a bad sign for actual sales.” The firm originally expected the title to “slightly exceed” the 900,000 units Prototype 1 sold in the US during its first year. Prototype 2 releases worldwide, next week, on April 24 for PS3 and Xbox 360. The PC version is expected on July 24. Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. LOLshock94

so true

2. AHA-Lambda

I’m surprised prototype 2 warranted the attention of analysts tbh =/

although i think he is right which is weird cos the first one actually sold quite well. But ATVI is expecting something f*cking stupid like 5m copies for this O_o

3. fearmonkey

And that will be a shame as I loved the first one, but admittedly not too crazy about the story in this next one. I wanted to continue being Alex, as they invested me in his character. Now, I want to kill him? I’m sorry but that is a real turn off if you enjoyed the first game.

4. ManuOtaku

Wake me when one of the analysts get his/her prediction/s right, i got the feeling even with this “shoot to the floor”, and i mean like a sure hit how someone can miss a shoot to the floor, i think they will miss it.

5. AHA-Lambda

@3 – agreed.

6. Phoenixblight

Especially since they went with making a character that is more “emotional” than Alex. I don’t want a pussified character because people didn’t like the Alex.

7. Maximum Payne

And last year was head to head with Infamous and still sold solid.

8. K-V-C

yea a lot of people like on youtube you will see them complaining about how activision are releasing trailers of how awesome is gonna be and you pretty much do all the stuff shown in the trailer in the first prototype lol

9. OrbitMonkey

*Ali G voice*

Is it cuz the main character is black?

10. pukem0n

main character will propably end up teaming up with Alex anyway, and Alex will be playable.
    otherwise this will fail :(

loved the first one though, hope this will be a good game

11. Gigabomber

I guess you haven’t been watching the videos: the game looks fantastic.

12. DSB

The game does look really good. If it’s as good as the latest videos suggest, then I think it’s going to go over 500k. It’s not gonna be 5 million total, but it’s going to hit the 2 mil worldwide.

@6 Wait, what? Alex was about as pussified as they come in my opinion. The new guy looks pretty butch.

Granted I haven’t been following the story and I can’t say I care all that much. It was just noise in between destroying stuff in the first one.

13. Phoenixblight

There was an article saying that that people thought ALex was too much of a dick so they made a character that would be “more emotional” ie pussified so if you though ALex was already pretty wimpy well then then the developer has made the new character even further weaker.

The live action character or the cgi characters do no represent the actual character in game.

14. OrbitMonkey

All this “oh snap, teh main character has emotions now!! May as well give him a vagina!!” is a bit daft.

The guys had his family killed, I’m betting he’s main emotions will be remorse and rage. Kinda like Batman. You calling Batman a pussy?

15. TheWulf

I don’t know, emotional motivation can be a wonderful thing when it’s done right. Also, not being an emotionless automaton doesn’t make you a ‘wuss,’ what it does do is actually give you the intelligence to process emotions. Higher emotions are the sign of a well-developed individual, usually when retardation occurs, it’s emotional retardation before intellectual retardation, because emotions are harder for the brain to get right.

Thus, a more emotional character is often a more intelligent one, and this has held true throughout the history of storytelling. The emotionless automatons that you favour tend to bore me to tears. I like seeing someone who has an emotional investment in something, a person who’s flawed (rather than simply sociopathic/psychopathic), yet actually still a person at the same time.

I mean, I liked the original Prototype a lot, and I got what they were trying to do with the character. But I’d be the first to say that there wasn’t really a “character” there. It was just a virus walking around and doing a half-arsed job at simulating a person. It really wasn’t very good at it. But hey, the virus has evolved, so perhaps we’ll get a character that can actually string a line of thoughts together this time.

Or perhaps not. We shall see.

16. TheWulf

I feel that they would, yes.

17. TheWulf

Wait… a murderous virus emulating a geek for shits and giggles is a wimp? (I’m not going to use the word that you used because–hey!–there’s at least one gamer alive who isn’t a raging misogynist. Getting a bit sick of seeing that, frankly.)

Not sure what to say to that. You must have incredibly high standards for what isn’t wimpy. That or you’re just hot air.

18. Phoenixblight

I like Kain over Raziel. Edios went through the same thing People that played Legacy of Kain didn’t like Kain because he was a dick so they went and created Raziel. Kain is far more of a bad ass than Raziel ever was or will be. This is just a preference thing.

BTW I would say Batman is/was emo before emo was cool.

19. YoungZer0

@3:

Lol, Alex Mercer had a character? Didn’t notice.

20. Maximum Payne

@18 I agree with Kain but Batman emo ? That shit doesn’t make sense.

21. lexph3re

really didn’t like Alex or prototype 1 in the first place. Probably won’t like this one. I got a thing about interpretations of black/african american characters. If their not thugs their patriot’s never vague. If it had a character personality like Afro Samurai I would love that. But then again apparently the vast majority of gamer’s don’t tend to “relate” to black characters(biggest bullshit I heard in a debate before).

22. DSB

@15 I figured you’d relate to the pussy.

You seem to confuse an actual complex of emotions with overplayed, cheap empathy/helplessness/one of the other attributes that belong in a teenage vampire movie. If a person only represents one extreme of that spectrum, then they have more in common with the mentally ill, than with the genius. Or the average individual, for that matter.

Why every protagonist would somehow have to be intelligent is beyond me. Weren’t you lauding the fact that you could be an idiot in Fallout 2? Are you confused or do you just come up with bullshit standards like that to suit whatever argument you’re making in the next 30 seconds?

I know you like to keep things awfully one-dimensional according to your own bizarre preferences, but personally I’m glad that most people who actually make fiction don’t play to that kind of obsessive and shortsighted mentality.

@13 Hmmm, I just thought he was a bit of a wimp.

I don’t see how this guy is being set up to be a unicorn-riding pacifist though.

“He then goes on a revenge-fuelled rampage in an attempt to uncover the truth behind the catastrophe.”

Sounds to me like he’s going to be likeable in the Max Payne understanding of the word more than anything else.

23. G1GAHURTZ

I couldn’t care less how many other people buy it, because I had loads of fun with the first one, and this is currently down as a day 1 purchase for me, barring rock bottom reviews.

24. G1GAHURTZ

Looks hype!

25. DSB

@24 Goddamn, that does look amazing.

If it delivers on that, I have a very hard time seeing how it can stay below half a mil.

26. OrbitMonkey

Looks decent, PS3 footage as well… Never played the origional, have the graphics improved much?

27. freedoms_stain

Prototype had some of the most fun traversal system I’ve ever played in a sandbox game even if the game was really repetitive and the AI complete shite.

One thing that held Infamous back from being quite as fun was that moving around was nowhere near as fun (or fast).

28. lexph3re

I don’t like the video, I think i’ll pass on d1b. It looks like wolverine origins with tentacles. I think 30 would be a good price to buy this at.

29. Evilone555

After reading this article I had to check Amazon’s top 100, and P2 is #69 and has been on the top 100 for 2 days now.

I’ve only seen the one review from CVG:

86% is not bad, I hope it does as well with the rest of the critics.

After the barrage of recently disappointing titles, I really hope this one shines. Regardless, at least the Witcher 2 came out today for the 360.

30. G1GAHURTZ

Another mag has given it an 85 according to Metacritic.

Very interesting summary, too: “The game that I didn’t really look forward to turned out to be an extremely absorbing and satisfying experience. The longer I played, the closer I was sitting to the TV and the tighter I was clutching my gamepad.

31. Christopher Jack

Well I’m personally intrigued by this sequel, I’d like to see a more in-depth reason to why Alex has supposedly turned evil (although he never really was a good guy, starting the outbreak & all that crud).