Shigeru Miyamoto to present Mario Wii U at E3

Monday, 16th April 2012 14:05 GMT By Staff

Nintendo has confirmed it will show a new Super Mario Bros game for Wii U at E3 2012 in June.

Nintendo moved to confirm earlier reports after Shigeru Miyamoto gave the news to Spanish newspaper El Mundo.

“In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii U system will be shown at this year’s E3 Expo,” the company told Eurogamer.

“We’ll have more to announce about our plans for the E3 Expo at a later date.”

In the interview with the paper (via GAF), Miyamoto said the game would combine the use of the tablet controller and the TV.

He added he was still interested in doing something with the Wii Music IP.

“It is always sad that something is not sold as well as expected” Miyamoto said.

“I think these negative experiences on a project is a thorn that is stuck, so we usually try to work the best idea or at least take it up and concretize it from an angle different for use in another title.

“[But] yes, I want to do more with that idea.”

He reiterated in the interview he was working on important, but smaller projects like Luigi’s Mansion 2 for 3DS and Pikmin 3, and that he was taking younger developers under his command to prepare them and Nintendo for when he’d eventually retire.

Nintendo is set to re-unveil Wii U ahead of the console’s release this holiday season in major regions.

Thanks, Nintendo Universe.

Original story by Johnny Cullen, with updates from Brenna Hillier.

1. LOLshock94

OMGOGKGIGMOGMGOMGOGMGOMGOGMOGMGOMGO holy jizz

2. OlderGamer

I am (ignoring the trolling) looking forward to a new Mario Kart as well.

3. LOLshock94

@2 wtf you on about i love mario, and i want to see a new mario on the new console and hopefully it wont be this stupid tech demo are sumit

4. Nollog

The article is still up, I think your url is just broken.
    [np]

5. Johnny Cullen

I’ve added that in. Thanks!

6. OlderGamer

If that is the case lshock, I am sorry. Its just it is hard to know how to take your posts sometimes.

7. Moonwalker1982

Awesome news, and i really hope that it won’t be a galaxy title. Tired of that level design, bring back Mario 64′s level design or something else, maybe something similar to Jak & Daxter 1.

8. ManuOtaku

Well i hope they go with something like mario sunshine, as much as i love mario galaxy i want to see something in the lines of mario sunshine, the most underated mario game IMHO.

9. OrbitMonkey

where would Ninty be without Miyamoto?

10. ManuOtaku

#9 i agree… i think nintendo depends to much on him sometimes, but seeing games like majoras masks, the new kid icarus, etc that were not made by him, but are great nintendo games, i think theres enough good developers in nintendo to carry the torch around (retro, hal,intelligent systems,monolith, etc).

11. Moonwalker1982

Hold on, didn’t they also show a Mario sidescroller (looking alot like New Super Mario Bros) in that Wii U video last year during E3? I bet its that game, but i hope not. If the Wii U could release with a true 3D Mario game, that would be awesome. That would be like the N64 with Mario 65 as launch title, omfg.

12. LOLshock94

@10 majoras maks not mayoras mask

13. ManuOtaku

#12 sorry, i did edit it, thanks, but i always had in my mind that majora is with “y” instead of “j”,strange inst it, 8D

14. frostquake

Kid Icarus on the 3DS is atrocious, and I wished that I would never have bought it! You can’t really play the game without putting it on the little plastic stand it comes on! The Flying missions are a joke and get repetitive very quick! Now I have to buy that 3DS control pad to play games that are nearly impossible to play without it!! Why didn’t the 3DS just come with it at launch? The Only game I have that I love is the Resisdent Evil Revelations Game, and I am waiting on the Circle Pad Pro, to properly enjoy it, which is on back order till July!! WHY??

Because they don’t EVER listen to their customer base!! They only do what they want, which is churn out the same Mario game over and over and over again! Same with Mario Kart. The games are always the same, with maybe a 3D twist thrown in! Then they rerererererererelease the old games for download over and over and over again!

My Wii Unit was an Overpriced Bowling SIM..with about 10 other titles that I played for a short time.

You want me to buy the WiiU…I say WiiNO!! Or WiiNOTUNTILISEESOMETHINGBETTER!!

15. DonnyKD

#14: “Kid Icarus on the 3DS is atrocious”

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait, you’re serious? Let me laugh even harder!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

16. Da Man

Yay, another Mario which I can play without ever bothering to become better or being t-bagged by 12 year olds for failing headhsots.

True gamers’ game.

17. Moonwalker1982

Well this just fucking sucks

They finally come with a HD console, they can make it “Mario 64″ all over again, 3D Mario game with 360/PS3 (or close) graphics and all that, and what do they do…oh lets make it a sidescroller.

18. OlderGamer

But I love the 2D ones… I really do, esp if they have multiplayer co-op.

I understand the drive for a Mario 64 style sequel tho.

I’d love to play a console 2D old school Zelda and Metriod as well.

19. ManuOtaku

Yes i agree OG,a Metroid fusion sequel on WiiU will rock as well as a link to the past sequel

20. DonnyKD

#17: Here’s a question: Who gives a fucking crap?