Legends of Grimrock development costs covered “many times over”

Monday, 16th April 2012 09:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Almost Human has said in a blog post that it has made all of its money back from developing Legends of Grimrock, adding the costs were covered “many times over”. A new update for the game, 1.1.4, has been released, and will fix various bugs and other things.

1. FabioPal

These are good news!!

Hope there were more games like Legends of Grimrock.

2. silkvg247

It’s a very good game. Silk recommends!

3. Talkar

^This

4. Sini

The next game needs to have more diverse environments, not just dungeon tile set. And a story and character banter like in Lands of Lore wouldn’t be bad addition.

Having said that, $15 was too cheap for this game, had more fun with it than skyrim or mass effects.

5. OwnedWhenStoned

@ everyone

I just bought this on the strength of these comments. Who needs reviews?

6. Dirk_Dexter

Excellent!

7. Kabby

Games are profitable. Who knew?

8. TheWulf

That was my complaint, too. I was bored to tears with it because of that after a while – which is a point I think others will arrive at after playing it for a bit. There’s no compulsion there. Worse – there appears to be a compulsion to get my characters killed.

For all I know, my guys are murderers, thieves, paedophiles, and worse. And I’m helping them survive? That’s not a grand form of compulsion, right there. Moreover, they’re faceless criminals, so I really couldn’t give even one shit about what happened to them. I’m conflicted when they die, as I can’t help but ask myself whether it was deserved or not.

I mean, think about it. It’s a prison, if they’ve committed terrible crimes then dying is just putting them out of their misery and seeing that their crimes are paid for. …I just have no motivation. It’s just progressing through the same environment all the time with no motivation. It’s great as a neckbeard game, but nothing else.

To be honest, it’s one of those rare times that I regret having spent my money. I was hoping for at least a little party character building, something that would have told me that the lives of these people were worth preserving. I mean, if I throw them into a pit trap of spikes, I’m just offing some faceless crooks, so yeah…

After a little bit, I got to the “Why even bother?” point and just quit.

The thing is is that Eye of the Beholder and games like that weren’t exactly great at the time (as anything other than neckbeard games), and today they’re absolutely awful. There has been evolution in more recent games like Albion, and indeed, Lands of Lore. (And Lands of Lore 2 especially, which I kind of feel like playing now.) Without character building, it’s a journey without purpose.

And a journey without purpose is… well, purposeless. I need motivation. I need to understand why I should give a shit. Grimrock didn’t give me this. Hopefully with their sequel they’ll actually think about these things and give me a reason to actually want to succeed, because this is the first game I’ve ever played where I’ve felt conflicted about whether getting my entire party killed is a massive victory or a loss.

And likewise, I’m conflicted as to whether that’s meant as faint praise or a heinous insult.

9. sh4dow

legends of what? i’ve never heard about this game before and it’s not even on metacritic? interesting that apparently, it was still that big… i really wonder how these things work.