Video: Alienware shows us their latest gaming rigs

Friday, 13th April 2012 15:29 GMT By Sam Clay

Alienware has setup shop at this year’s Gadget Show Live in Birmingham to showcase a few of it’s “hardcore gaming products”. James Griffiths, marketing manager at Dell, gave VG247 a tour around its ‘booth’

Griffiths shows us the Alienware ‘Aurora’ hardcore gaming desktop, the Alienware M17 gaming laptop and the recently-released Alienware x51, which is a small form-factor gaming desktop.

Video of all this is above.

1. mickey2002

Need a new laptop, was thinking of the m14x (17+ isn’t needed and would rather have a less weighty machine etc umm..)

2. Christopher Jack

In my personal opinion, you’re better off just getting an affordable productivity laptop, leave your gaming for a custom rig. This is of course assuming that you’re not going to be mobile a lot of the time which is when the custom rig will become a burden. It’s not likely that you’ll be doing hardcore gaming outside of your home anyway, unless of course you play lan games with your mates or attend lan parties where computers aren’t supplied.

3. polygem

i agree with cj. those things are nice but extremeley overpriced most of the time. outdated pretty soon too and not easy or impossible to upgrade. had one once, good rig from asus. was nice but got old really fast. you just couldn´t update it like most laptops. you´ll lose a lot of money in the end, if you resell it. if that wont matter to you just do it of course but that´something you should keep in mind.

for your mobile gaming get a 3ds or vita. both are pretty cool and can offer some gaming fun which you wont get on the consoles/ pc due to 3d and/or touch stuff. good to keep things a little fresh.

4. OlderGamer

I agree with both 2 and 3.

I am not a PC elietest. But I am a PC gamer. I am useing a 4 yr old PC that I bought for 600usd and tossed in a 80usd video card upgrade last year. I bought my PC as is off of the shelf. Nothing fancy.

You don’t need something like an over priced Alienware rig. And if you do want a higher end rig, stick with a desktop/tower. More power for your doller. If your looking for some mobile gaming Vita/3DS are cheap fillers. Esp if your a PC gamer that doesn’t spend much time on a console. Sometimes it is nice to play console like games, and Vita/3DS will offer those.

5. awaltzforvenus

That X51 doesn’t look half bad, if you ask me. Should run Mass Effect 3 pretty well, judging by specs alone. I’m sure in another year or so, it won’t seem quite so powerful, but for $699 USD to start, it’s difficult to complain.