Miyamoto still keen on A Link to the Past revival, not sure about F-Zero

Friday, 13th April 2012 03:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo creative Shigeru Miyamoto would like to see The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past spawn entirely new games.

Speaking to press in Paris this week, as reported by Develop, Miyamoto confirmed that A Link to the Past is still his prime candidate for an HD remake, ala Ocarina of Time, but said he wants to do more than just re-release the 1991 classic in updated form.

“I think I’d be even more interested in creating something new maybe based on, or starting from, A Link To The Past,” he said.

“I think it’s important to bring some really new software.”

Although it’s something that interests him personally, Miyamoto would be comfortable letting another Nintendo team develop a follow up to the much-lauded RPG – probably.

“To be very honest and open, it really depends on the directors that have time at the moment as well,” he said.

“Some directors, I can give them the title and I know they will do something great with it. Other directors I’m not so 100 per cent confident [in], so they’re the ones I’d rather take a more remake approach to the title. It really depends on that as well.”

A Link to the Past was the third entry in the Zelda series, and the first to release for the SNES. it introduced many groundbreaking concepts which became mainstays of the Zelda series, and was re-released on GBA.

While it had Miyamoto handy, Develop took the opportunity to push its own favourite revival candidate, F-Zero, but Miyamoto didn’t seem keen.

“I think at the time it was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense. I don’t see with current hardware how you could create a similar surprise,” he explained.

“But maybe with future hardware, with Wii U coming up, maybe we could create something that does make sense, either as a smaller game, or a fully fledged title.”

1. LOLshock94

miyamoto<3 hes so cute xoxox and the only developer who nose what hes doing unlike yeri

2. Virginityrocks

But I don’t want no dark world / light world shit. I want link literally traveling through time. Think Chrono Trigger meets Zelda. Amaaaazziiing.

3. Strawb

#2: If you want him travelling through time, you could always play Ocarina of Time.

4. Kabby

If only there was a Zelda game where you travel through time. Perhaps with the use of a magical instrument. I mean you could even go mad and repeat the same three days over and over like the movie Groundhog Day. This shit would be revolutionary.

5. mr_krunchi

Woo hoo! Link To The Past will always be my favorite Zelda. If they made an HD remake, I’d definitely buy a Wii U lol.

6. CycloneFox

a Link to the past was by far my Most beloved zelda. and i was sooo much disappointed by orcarina of Time when it came out. today i like oot more, but when it came out, i didn’t like the 3D graphics, dungeons, n64-music-chip, characters, world,… it somehow destroyed the tragic, mythical and darker world and atmosphere of a Link to the past.

7. mistermogul

Mr Miyamoto I keep telling you – F-Zero No, Wave Race Yes! Grrrr…..

8. manamana

His team is in need of better directors first, I guess.

9. awaltzforvenus

“What to do, what to do…..got it! Another Zelda game! Fuck it, a Zelda remake!”

Seriously, a remake of a Nintendo game on a remake of a Nintendo console. Sadly, I don’t doubt Nintendo would do it.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Totally predictable.

Instead of spending money on developing new games and better hardware, Nintendo are talking about remaking 21 year old games on “new” technology whose equivalent we saw nearly 7 years ago.

Nintendo, you FAIL.

11. sickpuppysoftware

I think it’s important to bring some really new software.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Oh, he meant it.

12. Virginityrocks

#3, ocarina of time is pretty much light world / dark world… There is either a world where everything is fine and dandy, or one where everything is messed up. The premise of OOT is pretty much identical to LTTP. I want a zelda game with link traveling through time, with more than 2 time periods. Not being stuck in stasis and using a sword to reverse time. The past, the present, the future, the way too much into the future, and link travelling wayyy too far into the past. Dinosaurs, space travel, the beginning and end of time itself, etc.

13. ManuOtaku

Please just focus on Pikimin 3, then on F-Zero, a wave race and a new IP, like baiten kaitos or something on those lines with monolith, that and i will be happy, but if you are going with zelda please go with mayoras mask and link to the past the most, i want those games to become series within the zelda lore.

14. DonnyKD

I love it when idiots think all Nintendo does is “remake everything”.

Must have been living in a cave with your Call of Duty shit.