Darksiders II won’t release “before it’s done”

Friday, 13th April 2012 01:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

THQ boss Danny Bilson said Darksiders II is on track for an expected June release, but if it weren’t, the publisher would delay it in a heartbeat.

“Darksiders II is looking really, really good. It’s a huge game,” Bilson told Ripten. “We’re going to give that team everything they need to make it as good as it can be.”

Asked whether the game would be delayed Bilson said THQ hadn’t announced any changes to the release date.

“The team is working really, really hard. We’re not going to ship it before it’s done,” he added.

Somehow, reports on this subject have seized on Bilson’s later comment as evidence that Darksiders II is in a troubled state, despite several recent rounds of very positive previews.

The paranoia may stem from concerns over THQ’s ongoing financial woes; Bilson admitted that some of the Darksiders II development team had been let go during recent lay offs at developer Vigil.

But having said that, the executive stressed that the cuts shouldn’t have significant impact on the game’s progress.

“Honestly, no one who was on any critical path on Darksiders was let go, and no one was let go before they finished their tasks on Darksiders,” he said.

“There’s absolutely no compromise on the Darksiders product whatsoever. That was a high priority for us.”

Darksiders II is expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in June, and Wii U at a later date.

Thanks, Edo!

1. LOLshock94

da ja vu or wut he said the same for south park, whose he trying to fool? the game will be glitchy and most likely suck shit and the studio will close 7 months after release

2. Strawb

#1: Here’s an opposing view, then – I think the game will work fine, and be a welcome addition to my game library, and the studio will continue to make great games.

On a slightly more news-related note, I look forward to this game, and I’m hopeful that their work will pay off. I certainly think it’s delightful they take this stance.

3. manamana

@Strawb – you’re my man! I loved the first one (despite all the naysayers) and I’m absolutely looking forward to this. I wish Vigil and Danny Bilson, who has a really hard time, all the best of luck and good sales.

LOLshock, this is for you: stay positive ;-)

4. The_Red

That’s rather dangerous for THQ. They have many financial problems and so far, DarkSiders 2 seems like their only chance for a little redemption. It’s a sequel to a rather decent game and with the type of marketing they’ve done so far, it could sell more than original and become their only real 2012 hit.
    Same goes for South Park RPG and I’m only saying this because I love both DarkSiders 2 & SP RPG. If they get delayed too much, the company may indeed fall before they come out as many have predicted. That way, we lose not only DS2 and SP but the games from Del Toro and Itagaki.

5. endgame

Why do they keep using the words “let go” instead of “fired”!?

Hey Bilson! You are FIRING people! You’re not letting them go. It’s not as if they want to leave and you want to keep them. It’s the other way around. Jack**s.

6. Edo

@The_Red You forgot Metro:Last Light,but I seriously hope that THQ will somehow recover and stay alive as long as they can…or that someone buys those titles from them :) .

7. Gadzooks!

I absolutely loved Darksiders so guaranteed day 1 purchase from me, whenever that launch may be.