South Park creators independentally contracted Obsidian

Wednesday, 11th April 2012 01:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone chose Obsidian to develop their RPG one year before THQ picked it up for publication.

Speaking to Ripten, THQ boss Danny Bilson said the game is entirely Parker and Stone’s “vision”.

“This game came to us. Matt and Trey wanted to do a great game,” he said.

“They had even contracted Obsidian themselves before we came in and, I believe, there was work going on for about a year.

“They were looking for a publisher to get it involved and pick it up and drive it the rest of the way. That’s what we’ve been doing since the end of last summer; somewhere around there.”

Bilson said the game is going well, with some playable sequences completed, which he described as “phenomenal” and “the funniest game ever made”.

“There are sections of the game where all the voices are in and all the writing and rewriting has been done by Matt and Trey. When you get all the pieces together, it’s what everyone wants it to be,” he said.”

South Park: The Game is currently slated for a 2012 release, but Bilson admits THQ is willing to delay it despite the company’s ongoing financial difficulties.

“It’s going to be very close,” he said, explaining that development “ebbs and flows” in line with South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s schedules.

“We can’t afford to ship it until it’s perfect. Matt and Trey won’t ship until it’s their vision of this ultimate role playing game, where you’re the new kid in town and it’s like being in a South Park episode,” Bilson said.

Hit the link above to read the whole interview, which includes discussion of Dark Millenium Online’s new direction, THQ’s approach to lay offs, and more.

1. LOLshock94

bilson you cringie fuck

2. The_Red

Nice. I LOVE South Park.

If THQ market South Park RPG and DarkSiders 2 right, they can make a lot of their financial problems go away. Both SP RPG and DS2 have the potential to be real hits.

3. Deacon

.. people still watch South Park ?

4. freedoms_stain

@3, aside from the last couple of episodes, which have admittedly been a bit ropey, South Park has been amazingly high quality over the last 15 years.

5. Deacon

I was under the impression that it kind of came and went! I just don’t ever hear about it or see it advertised anywhere that’s all. They’re still making new episodes?

I remember it being funny.. but I doubt I would watch it these days. Must still be pretty big in the US if they’re making a ‘big release’ game.

6. silkvg247

@5 It’s still funny. Though personally I’ve always found cartman cringeworthy rather than funny. :)

I enjoyed one of the latest episodes which mocks memes.

7. ManuOtaku

I hope it lasts more than one south park tv episode running time, i hope the journey situation does not happen with this game because i have big expectations for it, and if its done right like it sounds while reading this, i want it a bit on the lengthy side.

8. The_Red

No offense but every time I hear words “people still watch South Park ?” I’m reminded of SP haters that can’t stand the success of this amazing show. This is not the Simpsons case where the quality suddenly dropped after 7-10 seasons or ratings changed. Most episodes are still getting good reviews and have solid ratings.

As for news and attention, only a couple of years ago they were on top of news thanks to Muhammad controversy of episodes 200 and 201. Media was all over the whole thing and it’s a sad reality that they had to alter their work because of some asshole terrorists and extremists. I haven’t watched the latest season yet but prior to that, there are still a lot of entertaining episodes.

Maybe I’m just a South Park fanboy but outside 3-4 lame episodes per season, the rest range from good to great material that actually resonates with the real / current world.

9. YoungZer0

“This is not the Simpsons case where the quality suddenly dropped after 7-10 seasons”

Well that the thing, isn’t it? The quality was never high. I watched the behind the stage documentary “6-days something” and man, those guys are embarrassing. I’ve never seen people laugh about their own (bad) jokes this hard.

It’s on the same level as Family Guy.

10. freedoms_stain

@8, I found Ep 1 of S16 laugh out loud funny, but eps 2-4 have all been on the “meh” side for me.

If anyone wants to assess recent quality look no farther than Broadway Bro-Down from S15. I have watched that episode like 5 times and I still pee my pants every time.

11. The_Red

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, a lot of South Park episodes have high quality and some of them are among all time best episodes of any TV series (Like World of WarCraft episode or Scott Tennorman Must Die).

“Also, never EVER compare SP’s sense of humor to Family Guy” (Semi quote from the Cartoon Wars episode where the makers show their hatred for that show). Also, at the risk of sounding more like a SP fanboy, I really don’t Family Guy and find it unwatchable.