Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase program now live

Tuesday, 10th April 2012 08:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

NCSoft’s announced the pre-purchase program for Guild Wars 2 is now live here. Players who get the standard, collector’s or digital deluxe editions will get a three-day headstart, guaranteed access to beta events and more. There’s details here.

The ArenaNet MMO launches this year.

1. GrimRita

Cool! Lets see what all the fuss is about!!

2. viralshag

Still no release date though, which is a bit annoying.

I can’t decide whether or not I feel like enough of a sucker to buy into the usual pre-purchase benefits.

It would also be good to know how many Beta events there would be and how many you would have access to.

3. Yoshi

Hopefully this comes on Steam like the others :)

4. Strawb

#2: Are you referring to the pre-purchase or the regular beta invites? According to ANet, if you pre-purchase the game through their website, you will have access to all the upcoming beta events.

5. viralshag

@4, I just meant how many beta events there would be if you pre-purchase. I looked into it a bit more and it said on their FAQ that they hope to have at least one a month.

Which isn’t a lot and some of the other benefits, like the personal banker, are timed. So for the digital deluxe you’re only getting 2 things to keep forever, the Mistfire Wolf and the Rytlock companion.

I think the Collectors edition at £129 is probably the best priced of the lot. £50 and £65 seem about £10 more expensive than they should be.

6. DSB

The pricing is pretty lame. It seems like they’ve having to compensate for not having a subscription by hiking prices and adding micro-transactions.

I don’t really get it, I’m pretty sure it’s going to do at least as well as Rift and possibly it’s gonna do just as good as SWTOR, there’s little reason to concede on competing for subs. Especially with WoW leaking subscribers.

I’d like it a lot better if it was low barrier to entry and no ingame storefront. It just makes games feel cheap, and when you’re already paying a large amount, that just doesn’t fit.

7. Phoenixblight

Thats what the original game did and they had “expansions” that were the size of major content patches to sub based MMOs along with microtransactions. Pick your poison.

8. DSB

@7 Yeah, I totally get that, but that makes more sense to me when you’re a “small” MMO. It’s a contained and predictable model.

Guild Wars 2 is “all growed up”. They should go for the gold and make it all that it can be. It doesn’t help the experience when a game you already bought keeps trying to sell you crap.

I’ll take the old poison any day. The only problem with that model is making a game that people actually want to keep paying for. That’s usually where it gets tricky.

That being said, I reckon the price of MMOs in general, going all the way back to WoW is somewhat of an indulgence. Publishers have every reason to grab every user they can. If the game is good, you have nothing to lose by lowering the barrier to entry. 20 euro would easily compensate them for creating a new user.