DmC trailer: Dante cast as “terrorist” and “sexual deviant’

Tuesday, 10th April 2012 07:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dante’s a terrorist with a permanent erection, according to the fat man on TV. In Ninja Theory’s vision of Devil May Cry, everyone’s out to get the youngster with an aversion to clothes.

The younger Dante seen in DmC is a cheeky lad who doesn’t wear a lot to bed. You can sort of see him growing up into the silver haired smoothie we know from earlier games when the hormones stop playing merry hell with him, especially after the life-changing experience of being a wanted terrorist.

DmC is expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but has not been dated.

Thanks, James.

1. Erthazus

Can’t wait for this game to flop like Resident Evil: Raccoon city in sales and metacritic.

New trailer shows that everything about new DMC is (!) wrong (!).

2. minxamo

Oh fuck off Ninja Theory.

3. Erthazus

“DmC is expected on PC”

DmC is NOT expected on the PC Brenna, and thank god.

4. Brenna Hillier

Erthazus, if you’re right I’m happy to be corrected and fix the article. But the wiki page you just linked mentions “Microsoft Windows” twice.

Edit: Ninja Theory maintains its console only so I’m taking the reference to PC out as promised.

5. Clupula

He’s not going to grow into the white-haired Dante. They’ve already stated that this is an different continuity, “alternate universe,” I believe were the words they used. Basically ass-covering. If this does well, they can keep in this continuity and fuck off to those of us who liked the old Dante. If this does awful, they can return to the old one without ever acknowledging DINO here.

6. xino

dante is gonna blow some sh* up!

i can’t wait.
    love all the new things they are bringing, let’s see if it can surpass NG3

7. Gekidami

Also he’s a dangerous sex offender.

8. KAP

Wikipedia….. Really?

9. mojo

i hope it bombs.
    this is so stupid..

10. OrbitMonkey

Lol, sexual deviant in a demon world eh? So what, he only fucks in missionary position?

Pervert ;-)

11. albo88

wtf i just saw a naked man?

12. The_Red

Why so much hate? I know, Dante looks different but so what?

At least this one is trying to be more like DMC3 instead of that horrible mess called Devil May Cry 4.

13. Johnny Cullen

Ninja Theory? Yeah, it’s Johnny. I just want you to know my day one remains justified. Well done. Speak soon. Bye.

14. Erthazus

@10, “So what, he only fucks in missionary position?”

ahahahaha. Brilliant.

15. Judicas

I hope so badly that this bombs

16. Christopher Jack

I like the look of this but I’ve never played a DmC game so I obviously don’t understand the hate.

17. sb319

Looks awesome.

18. absolutezero

Everything in that looked so laughably bad. Its like catching a peak at a small child dressed in adult clothes pretending to go to work.

Im pretty sure I heard Brokencyde aswell, fuck thats down with the kids.

19. YoungZer0

Looks absolutely amazing. I. Can. Not. Wait.

20. absolutezero

YEAH NEW DANTE. I FEEL HIP AS FUCK.

21. YoungZer0

@20: Are you trying to tell us something?

22. absolutezero

23. mojo

“Why so much hate?”

24. YoungZer0

@23: Please don’t repost this. This is just embarrassing. All of those points are either wrong information, or just complaining about Ninja Theory *BIG SHOCKER* changing things!

Holy fuck! How can you change something, when we’re always complaining about games like Call of Duty never changing anything?

25. absolutezero

Fuck I love that Copy Pasta so much.

Incoming “Thats every reason why I like it” and multiple “Deal with it”s.

26. YoungZer0

I seriously don’t understand why people still complain about this. It’s not doing you any good. Most of the people complaining don’t seem to understand the difference between emo (previous Dante) and punk (new Dante). You can still just completely ignore it, but you want to be mad instead. Very grown-up behaviour.

27. mojo

watch the videos.

thats what i think about this game.

edit:
    youngz: not mad.
    just amused about so much bullshit condensed into one single game.

28. eloix

I like it! Can’t wait for the game. If that’s realtime combat, it does look smoother than what we saw awhile ago.

29. YoungZer0

@27: What bullshit?

30. Erthazus

Change is not a problem, it is always welcome. It’s just new DMC change is retarded. Period.

Ahh, Metacritic can’t come soon enough. I think Capcom had enough orgasm after Resident Evil:Raccoon city disaster.

31. YoungZer0

@30: What’s retarded about it?

32. absolutezero

Yes because the complaints hinge upon the distinction between emo and punk. Neither old Dante was either of those and neither is new Dante. Theres nothing punk about new Dante and theres nothing what so ever Emo about the old one. Not that it even matters.

We personally have gone over exactly why I dislike this direction multiple times before, mainly that DMC was never a story driven anything and that all the high level technical gameplay has been removed. No multi enemy juggling, no styles, two weapons instead of many, a meter on the guns, UE3 and no combos.

I said before that the Truestyle Tournaments were what DMC was all about, much like Bayonetta it was about mastering the games ruleset and looking amazing while doing it. Everything mentioned about this just makes me think that they’ve turned it from all that amazing challenging rewarding gameplay and made it into God of War.

33. mojo

29:
    well, pretty much everything..

34. YoungZer0

@32: Hair in front of one eye, with short cut is pretty emo. Talking about bringing light into someones life while talking about devils not crying is pretty emo also.

New Dante is not Punk? How so? From haircut to clothes, to his fuck-you-attitude.

“mainly that DMC was never a story driven anything”

That for me was the biggest problem of DMC-Series. Great combat, great world, interesting character. But you never got past the embarrassing dialogs and the world was never flashed out.

“the high level technical gameplay has been removed”

Show me some evidence for that.

I’m not sure any more, but did DMC4 feature styles at all? Nevermind that, the styles system was a stupid idea anyway.

Two weapons instead of many? Evidence please. From the gameplay footage we’ve seen so far there are at least 3 weapons.

No combos is a lie and you know it.

“I said before that the Truestyle Tournaments were what DMC was all about, much like Bayonetta it was about mastering the games ruleset and looking amazing while doing it.”

Well, that’s your opinion.

@33: God, you’re boring.

35. absolutezero

Lets see : Locked at 30 FPS thats a hinderance to the high level play side already, theres a reason the best fighting games are locked at 60 FPS.

Styles gave you 4 (at the start) completely different ways to play the game, each opening up more to learn and confront. Like the video of someone fighting the last Vergil battle in DMC3 with Royal Guard and not taking a single hit. They were in 4 when playing as Dante. They offer choice, depth and replayability.

I agree the story in all of the games was pretty dire but it never needed to be anything else, it was there for setting and set up and little else, would you prefer a fleshed out World and story if it made the gameplay suffer because of it?

The new DMC has just lifted the “Heavy and slow” and “fast and nimble” Stances from Heavenly Sword. Heavenly Sword was not a good game, Andy Serkis was the best thing in it.

Actually ya know what? Fuck it. I hope its fucking good. I hope its good enough that it fosters its own little group of people dedicated to its cause, mastering it. The entire thing looks terrible to me, truely terrible, like its trying so fucking hard. I hope it all pays off. I hope its good, for the good of the series I hope it works out.

36. Clupula

Please don’t insult punk by saying DINO is it. He’s about as punk as Good Charlotte, which means he’s very obviously a 50 year old corporate exec’s idea of what punk is supposed to be. DINO is lame and embarrassing.

And with the ridiculous assertion that Old school Dante was emo? Dante had that hairstyle going before emo was even a thing. And I wasn’t aware having white hair was an emo thing. It’s also funny that you’d take ONE line out of everything he’s said in 4 games for your reasoning.

37. The_Red

Well, this trailer just nulls that whole list for me. This game looks cool and much much better than both DMC2 and DMC4.

38. YoungZer0

@35: 30 FPS is a problem? I dunno. From what i’ve seen so far the game’s pretty fast. Come on, man. Even Vanquish was 30 FPS only and that game run smooth and fast as hell. Batman Arkham City is also a great example of fast and smooth gameplay while still only having 30 FPS.

I agree that each style brought something different, but i never really missed them in DMC4.

And yes, i might be in the minority, but i actually want a better story, even if the gameplay suffers a little bit from it. As long as it’s reward and – more importantly – satisfying, then i’m all game.

I haven’t seen any indication that the stances from Heavenly Sword are in the new DmC game. I also agree that it was not a good game, but the story and character made it stand out.

I also hope it works out, especially because i love from what we’ve seen so far.

@36: No, the Emo Style was already there before DMC got popular. To be honest, old Dante is just the regular Bishonen manga character we’ve seen thousands of times before. His hair color is not going to help him here.

And how is it my fault that he’s changing his character with every entry in the series? Blame Capcom for that. His lines were always embarrassing.

I dunno what DINO is, but the new Dante is definitely Punk.

39. L.O.R.D

LOL
    anyone noticed this

40. YoungZer0

@39: How do you NOT notice this? :D

41. stockops3

WA WA WA! Stop wailing you goddam fanboys why not try the game before you start whining, I’ve never seen such a stupid fanbase as the DMC fanbase… jesus, grow up.

42. ManuOtaku

And people wonder why some of the eidos guys indicated that new ips, or fresh new ideas in this case, are not worhty in the industry, we are sending clear messages to the developers and they are reading it, sad thing is we only blame them and not us o_O

43. Spider Law

I didnt like the look of it at first.
    But its grown on me. Looks insanely over the top and funny. I dont know if its day 1 for me, but it definitely looks good.

44. Monk

Wow, that was sooo…. stupid !

45. Gigabomber

Wow! so edgy. PR department continuing their great work on this title. Releasing the other DMCs in HD sealed their fate.

46. StolenGlory

I must admit, I don’t usually go to CV&G for any kind of in-depth critical analysis on anything really, but their DMC hands-on seemed quite insightful and positive:

47. TD_Monstrous69

Totally can’t wait until this comes out. I’m with Johnny Cullen on this, day one purchase for me.

48. Kuwabara

Don’t know why the hate. DMC 1 WAS the best game ever. dmc2,3,4 was shit!! atleast this trailer looks better than the last few games.

49. YoungZer0

@46: Sounds very promising.

50. Gheritt White

This game looks awesome. Can’t bloody wait – D1P confirmed for realz.

51. YoungZer0

It’s also worth visiting the channels website:

That website’s just weird. oO

52. Da Man

#31 (YoungZero) It’s Erthazus… Something doesn’t need to be retarded for him to be deemed so. He’s the retardation in itself, which makes everything he touches retarded by definition.

If there was a retard contest Erthazus would take the second place. Why second? Because he’s a retard.

53. Clupula

DINO = Dante In Name Only.