VG247 Easter Staff Meeting: minutes with annotations

Monday, 9th April 2012 03:12 GMT By Staff

Enjoying a break this weekend? The VG247 crew is. Four days off means plenty of catch-up gaming, plenty of food, and plenty of bunnies. Yes, bunnies. Also: chickens.

Working at VG247 doesn’t mean playing games all the time, unfortunately, which means we look forward to a good catch up session over the Easter weekend as much as anyone does. Before taking off on our respective holidays, we touched base to discuss our plans. Here’s the official record of what went down.

What are you doing? It certainly isn’t work.
Brenna has been playing a lot of Tropico recently, and was hoping to be able to put paid to the campaign missions before Tuesday. When the RSI gets too much, she’s been replaying Dark Souls – but a thunderstorm has played hell with her nerves and her left hand has developed Shield Syndrome.

Johnny expected to use the weekend to get back to Halo: Reach, but also to revisit L.A. Noire and Saints Row: The Third. Whether he got around to it we’re not sure; he promised to finish Borderlands, too.

As usual, Pat just wants to play Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, especially as he’s likely to find good co-op buddies during the day, but he’s also making a sterling effort to finish Mass Effect 2 so he can finally start Mass Effect 3, something he resolved to do months ago. “I have three children and a business, so that was stupid, wasn’t it?” he said.

Newcomer Sam had some mysterious plans lined up, but he also wanted to spend some quality time with both Blur and Split/Second.

Steph’s also got some catching up to do, especially on her guiltily lapsed Lord of the Rings Online habit. “I am sure my Kinship thinks I am lying dead in a ditch someplace,” she said. However, she also said she was going to play “a bit of Skyrim” and we all know how “a bit” of Elder Scrolls games turns into four days with no sleep.

What about Easter Eggs?
Some of us – not to name any names – have been gorging on chocolate in a most disgusting manner all weekend, but catching up on games is a great opportunity to turn up Easter Eggs. Here are the team’s favourites

“There were many in both Fallout 2 and Morrowind that I found hilarious, but I have to say finding the remains of ‘Indie’ in the latter was one of the best,” Steph volunteered.

“Then again, I did use the Scroll of Icarian Flight when I found it as well. Probably shouldn’t have despite the hilarious results. There’s also the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog located in LOTRO as well which got a hearty chuckle out of me.”

Elevator rave.

“Finding wheels of cheese in Perfect Dark, at least I think it was cheese…” Sam offered.

Johnny wandered slightly off topic, but in an awesome direction. “Maybe not an easter egg as such, the mission in Saints Row: The Third where you have to drive a car around with a tiger beside you,” he said.

“It’s now clicked that it’s somewhat loosely based from Talladega Nights when Ricky Bobby gets his confidence back by driving around with a cheetah in similar circumstances, having recently watched the movie for the first time in ages.”

“The elevator dance party in Crysis 2,” YouTube addict Brenna suggested.

“I particularly like how some videos of it show the player glancing around rapidly before closing the door and walking quickly away, as if terrified and affronted.”

Bunnies and Chicks
If you’ve been in a supermarket lately you’re probably all too aware of the cultural associations with April weekends and adorable bunnies and chickens. In the course of our conversation, we discovered that the VG247 team really likes bunnies and chickens.

According to Steph, the Rabites from the Mana series are the best bunnies, being both cute and formidable. Brenna is pretty fond of Ubisoft’s mascot, the Rabbids, while Pat professes to love all bunnies. Wait till one gets into his lettuce patch.

Sam and Johnny both nominated Fable‘s famous kickable, chasable chickens for an honourable mention, but Steph plumped for the Cuccos from the Legend of Zelda series, “because when you harass them enough you get attacked”.

Sam countered with the “demented” chickens of Red Neck Rampage, and we all quickly changed the subject when Pat brought up “the chickens in Chuckie Egg, obviously”, a game released in 1983.

Feast-ival
Eventually, someone had to mention the fact that chickens are for eating, and we communed on our shared love of all things edible.

At some point we remembered we’re supposed to be talking about games, and Pat said his favourite edible chicken in a game is the health gauge in Atic Atac, another 1983 release.

“I always remember thinking how awesome it would be if chicken really was like that to eat, like the boars in Asterix,” he said.

This is Atic Atac, apparently.

Steph said her most memorable gaming memories include turning to cannibalism in Skyrim and consuming things in LOTRO “which make you vomit, or end up without pants someplace in the world”.

On a more savoury note, she cast a fond memory back to long-weekend gaming binges – Super Mario 3 with her best friend during sleepovers.

“We would stay up all night eating cool ranch Doritos with cheddar cheese dip, Baby Ruths, and drinking Mountain Dew until we crashed from too much Goomba stomping and temporary bouts of hypoglycaemia from the junk food,” she reminisced.

Johnny jumped in at this moment with a PSA regarding soft drinks and gaming, which he warns is a dangerous combination, having spilled an entire bottle of Pepsi over his US import copy of the Metal Gear Solid HD collection bare hours after delivery.

Sam added his own cautionary tale, of a friend who once got some form of candy stick in an N64 cartridge.

At this point, our wildly varying international timezones kicked in, and the meeting adjourned for a Left 4 Dead session.

Wrapping Up
If you guessed “VG247 wants to know what you’re up to over the break”, you’re absolutely right. What are you playing? What are you eating? What are you eating in the games? What new Easter Eggs or just plain delights have you discovered while getting in some solid sessions? Let us know in the comments.

Whether you celebrate Easter with chocolate or church, or even not at all, we hope you’re having a safe and more importantly splendid public holiday break.

1. ejams

Mass Effect 3, of course! This 4 day weekend was only made complete when the extra XP event for Mass effect 3′s multiplayer started, and it was by all means used. I’m trying to get through the campaign, too, so I can finally see what all the fuss surrounding the ending is about. Whether or not I think it’s okay doesn’t really matter, because it is definitely one of, if not the best games in the series and the greatest deal of fun I’ve had gaming all year (so far :D).

2. Len

Haha, I remember the chicken in Atic Atac, what a game. I was mesmerised by it as a kid, the game, not the chicken. :o) Aah Ultimate…

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Ironically, I had to work over the weekend, but that hasn’t stopped me from gaming. I’m currently trying to get it on with Miranda and finish my Insanity run which is grueling to the point of not being fun any more, but what can I say, I’m a trophy whore, and that’s the price you pay.

Chuckie Egg, Jesus, that takes me back. I think I was playing that on an MSX Mitsubishi back in the day. Got to level 33 (or was it level 35) and realised that the game designers had not thought that far ahead. It was impossible to get any further. Mother Duck on the loose, extra chicks, all moving insanely fast and nowhere to go. It may have been the forefather of Demon’s/Dark Souls. YOU WILL DIE!

4. Brenna Hillier

@1 *high five for ME3 multiplayer love*

@2 @3 Pat will be delighted someone shares his love of those old Spectrum (??) games, I’m sure. When Codemasters announced that Dizzy reboot recently, Johnny admitted he’d never even heard of this ancient mysterious thing, and it made other staff members feel quite elderly.

5. Telepathic.Geometry

Pft, ye young’uns. When I were a lad, it were nowt but fields all ’round ‘ere…

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ve actually been playing Modern Warfare 3 mainly. Started from zero on Friday. It’s great, but I reckon it’s probably the weakest SP so far. Half the time you really are a bystander. Awesome set-pieces and multiplay, though. I do realise I’m amazingly late to the party. At least it wasn’t released in 1983.

7. Brenna Hillier

Did you pick two 1983 releases on purpose?

Just as an aside. I was born in 1984.

8. Johnny Cullen

I like how I’ve made people super old in one foul swoop.

*holds liver part of chest following night of drinking. sighs* I’m getting too old for this shit.

9. BULArmy

Even though Easter is next week where I live(Orthodox Christian) I also got a lot of playing time, mostly because midterms in the uni were over. Mainly trying to satisfy my Diablo 3 related hunger with some copies, like Sacred 2, Torchlight and trying to play the original Diablo.

10. viralshag

@9, I’ve been trying to do the same! :P

Although I prefer Torchlight on the 360 and Sacred 2 just seems to crash on me… I have been playing a bit of D2 though, can anyone tell me if the exp is worth getting?

Also, any other good games like the above you can recommend? (Preferably newer rather than older, thanks!)

11. polygem

since i just recently re-bought a ps3 and my girlfriend is visiting her parents it´s ps3 sequels i had to catch up with…i played A LOT this weekend. i played all the previous installments of these games last time i owned a ps3 (ps2 for gow) and finally finished this WE: gow III, resistance 3, killzone 3. started infamous 2 now and almost finished uncharted 3. i played a lot of uncharted 3 competitive and coop mp. so much fun. uc3 was the best of the series this far imo. awesome game. i even started to like nathan drake this time around. all mentioned games have been really fun though. i was a bit disappointed by resistance 3. not a bad game at all but 1 and 2 were much better imho. i love resistance. the gameplay is great, the weapons fun. kZ3 was great too, some stunning levels that looked ridiculously good on my hd sceen…though this will never be the halo killer. infamous 2 seems to be nice as well. can´t wait for the new sly cooper game to come out. thing is with the playstation: there really is more variety to it, gameswise. i prefer the 360 pad so much more for shooters, but for games like uncharted, god of war or infamous i start to think the DS3 is even the better gamepad. first multiplatform game i will play on the ps3 will be max payne 3.
    add me if you like: OhMikeOdd. we can build up a bad ass gang this may….

12. BULArmy

@10 The genre kind of died after 2006 and Titan Quest which is really good game, but it is kind of dated. Deathspank series and Dungeon Siege 3 are good games in this genre, but almost everything else is kind of old.
    And a lot of ppl say that Borderlands is a FPS Diablo, but for me it is not, but it is very fun game even played SP.

13. Gekidami

I beat and got the plat in Trine 2. With all of the PS Plus stuff, i’ve got quite the backlog.

14. Patrick Garratt

@7 – They were the games that made me, I guess. Atic Atac was the first game I ever bought.

15. tenthousandgothsonacid

Atic Atac? I always knew you were alright Garratt :) I suspect we are of a similar age….

16. tenthousandgothsonacid

Actually, given my first game was on the Atari VCS you’re probably still under 40.

17. Patrick Garratt

I’m 39 next month :-D

18. Gekidami

^
    :D

19. freedoms_stain

Me and the gf have spent most of the weekend in the car visiting both sets of parents, so my sole source of gaming has been my ancient Gameboy Advance SP, I’ve hammered some hours into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. tbh puts FFXIII to shame.

20. Patrick Garratt

haha :D

21. DSB

I’m rediscovering a fully modded IL-2 Sturmovik (It looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt0E77vJg7w )

I’ve shot down exactly one fighter in a dogfight, and I’m pretty sure it was my wingman. I was flying ME 109′s, so the guy was a filthy nazi anyway – I still think it counts.

And then I’m trying to get past the melee phase of Fallout 2, which really sucks in 2012. Hit something, run away, hope it doesn’t kill you. If it does kill you, load last save and try again. Hooray for combat rolls!

Really, I’m just waiting for Max Payne and D3.

Aside from that I’m heading to the US in 48 hours, so I’m quietly panicking – Or packing – Or both. I’m also conspiring to get my green card (spousal!) this time around so I’ll get to spend some more time in the new world. Hunting templars and what not.

22. Sadismek

We celebrate Easter this week’s Sunday (I’m an Orthodox Christian), but I got plenty of time to play the hell out of The Witcher 2. Great game, and the attention CD Projekt RED is giving to this game is unbelievable. Watch and learn, Bioware! But my graphics card is starting to show it’s age, so I guess I’ll have to get my hand deeper in the pocket and get a shiny new one.

23. Brenna Hillier

@22 how weird, I was just playing W2 myself. there’s some really great writing in it. Plus I love that slight east Euro tang that comes through sometimes.

24. reask

Started playing KZ3 multi last week having left it for a long time.
    I am addicted again.

I really think the mp in this game is second to none.
    Warzone can be so so hectic especially on the smaller maps but always fun.
    I think gg made a great decision to release the mp as a standalone as there always seem to be full games and lots of folks discovering how good this game is.

A little tip for anyone trying it out.
    Unlock the sta 52 as soon as you can which shouldn’t take long,It,s a great little gun imo and should get you up and running pretty quick.

Snipers can be a problem now and again but overall they seldom bother me as I like to run and gun.
    Jetpacks are a ball on some of the bigger warzone maps and the eskoskeletons on the junkyard map on gw.

25. LOLshock94

love eastereggs

26. polygem

ok reask you just sold me on kz3 mp…i´ll try it as soon as i can next week. just finished the campaign.

27. KrazyKraut

I was alone. I cant get along with my girls parents, because I am 10 years younger than she is. She cried at the train station and asked me to come with her, but sorry no. Anyway she is already back and we can spend the last easterday together.

Had fun with some “The Last Story” and Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer on PS3.
    We were four Krogan Soldiers…all in white color.

“They see me krogan..they frightenend…”

When I told a mate that there will be a Krogan Vanguard in the next MP DLC, he just said:” God help us all..”

28. Gekidami

^ …Why would you tell us that?

29. shogoz

Your comment has been updated

30. GwynbleiddiuM

I spit on the face of religion of all sorts, but I like holidays so thanks to Paris’ weather, I decided to stay at my uncle’s house and not to go out (You see I’ll be here at Paris for a while). Played through RE2 and 3 on my PSP (Who owns a PSP for crying out loud?), then I thought I love to play Divine Divinity, so started a mage and did so until Jake the Zombie raped me and I got mad cause I never got killed by jake.

31. OrbitMonkey

^ Its ok, Jesus forgives you ;-)