Dark Souls PC confirmed in German magazine

Saturday, 7th April 2012 11:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

German PC games mag PC Action has confirmed in its latest issue that Dark Souls will be coming to PC this year.

The cover for the issue (thanks, Talkar) features it alongside Assassin’s Creed III, Risen 2 and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria as an exclusive

The infamously difficult RPG will arrive on the “master race” this August as Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (via GAF).

There’ll be new bosses for the PC version, but besides that, it’ll be pretty even content wise with the console version.

Not many other details have arrived as yet.

A PC edition of the game was teased as recently as late last month following a fan petition to bring it to the platform seen nearly 100,000 signatures earlier in the year.

The From Software RPG, which launched last October for PS3 and 360 via Namco Bandai, was critically hailed and performed well at retail, charting second in the UK charts at its debut.

1. silkvg247

Now, if they realease on steam without DRM, and it isnt’ a crap port, then this will go a long way to proving to the industry that PC is king for gaming. They’ll rake it in.

2. RoboJesus

>if they realease on steam without DRM
    >steam
    >without DRM
    >http://myfacewhen.com/images/202.gif

3. Talkar

This is so damn awesome! Been really missing a hardcore RPG!

Steam is DRM…

4. GrimRita

With the likes of Steam, it just shows how you can reach a mass market without the need to create physical copies of the product. And I agree with #1 – crappy ports are a no no. Give the PC version some love and attention and it will sell like hot cakes.

5. silkvg247

@2,3 Oh guys, so pedantic! Steam lets you install on multiple machines, without installation limits, and play offline. If that’s DRM then I’m happy with it.

6. Talkar

How about you have to be logged in to play your games, which obviously requires an online connection. And you can only be logged into one machine at a time. The offline modes doesn’t work at all in Steam. Other than that, sure it is great! But it is still DRM, no matter how you look at it.

7. silkvg247

@6 I’m not a valve fanboi nor will I say steam doesn’t have it’s flaws. e.g. I hate that I can’t be setting up steam on my laptop whilst playing an online game on my PC (hopefully it’ll change). But what I do know is:

Offline, SP games work fine in offline mode.
    Online games would require you to be online whether you’d activated them on steam or not.

Sooo, not seeing yer point I’m afraid! ;-)

8. The_Red

I really hope they update the menus, UI and other stuff to make them more suitable for PC because this is one damn game meant for this platform. Now if only Demon’s Souls could have come to PC…

9. Talkar

My point is. It is DRM. And i’ve had plenty of instances where i couldn’t play my singleplayer games offline. For example. When The Witcher 2 was released i installed it on my laptop, started the game while online. Shut it down. Started steam in offline mode. Great i thought, everything works. The next day when i needed it i couldn’t log into steam in offline mode, even though i could the day before. I had a 7 hour ride i then had to sit through without my gaming. This isn’t the only time it has happened but i think i got my point across.

10. mad1723

Oh god, I head about Dark Souls mighty difficulty and rewarding challenges. I’m so getting this when it comes out! :D Don’t want to miss out on the fun the console players have had for a while now getting beaten to death, burned, exploded, sliced, etc!

11. DSB

Steam isn’t the only service that has trouble switching from online to offline, but it’s gotten a lot better in the last year. I had no problem using offline mode last October/November.

Personally I don’t mind DRM as long as it doesn’t bother me. If you take value away and replace that with services of an equal or better value, then it’s a compromise we can all live with.

The problem isn’t Steam or even Origin (even if Origin is struggling with basic features, and EA are using it as weapon) but the DRM that simply takes value away from the game and inconveniences you without adding a single thing to it. That’s GFWL and Ubisoft Online Services Platform. I guess Battle.net is in between. It’s a great service, but the whole “always online” thing is no good.

That said, yay for the Dark Souls.

12. Talkar

I’m not saying Steam is bad. Not at all. I use Steam every day. However, to say it isn’t DRM is kinda shitting on the games that doesn’t use DRM :/

13. MFBB

I read they want to do more Souls games and will start working on the third one soon.

So i hope the PC version makes at least its development money back.

They also better relaese that extra content for free on the console…would be a big fail to fuck there fans over who bought the last 2 games and give the free content only to PC gamers.

14. TommiK

Another confirmation:

15. minxamo

Steam’s offline mode simply doesn’t work, you click ‘start in offline mode’ then it says it has to connect to the network…

16. GrimRita

Steams offline mode DOES work. However, you actually need to connect ONLINE first, to select the offline mode. I encountered this when I moved apartment and had to wait for my broadband to go live.

17. back_up

lol PC pirates getting game after almost one yr because every developers
    knows PC gamers are biggest pirates in the world

LMAO PC gamers are biggest joke

18. mtnman3888

Great news for PC gamers, this is truly a gem. This game has so much replay value as there are large amounts of content that are optional and many brutal bosses that you don’t have to touch, but reward you with great items and skills. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed that the announcement they were teasing wasn’t new content related, but the more people that get to play this game the better………..enjoy!

19. Atmey

Instant buy if mods-compatible.

20. YoungZer0

Seriously, if you expect anything less than a shitty port, you’re fooling yourself.

21. Edo

Great news indeed.

22. shogoz

Hopefully those that get it on computer have an option to change between being offline and online. It annoyed the hell out of me when people would invade my game at a critical point (heaps of people invade in certain areas) and I kept having to run back…only to be killed by someone else. If you lose your net connection you will just end up at the title screen of the game, it happened sometimes to me! But since the game saves often I just ended up back where I was. Random disconnections were very rare for me. I hope they make it so you can sign in and out of the net WHILE youre playing though so you dont get shoved back to the title screen. its a little annoying when it happens.

23. GwynbleiddiuM

This is great news.

24. LOLshock94

this game seriously sucks ass, theres a difference between being cheap and being hard and dark souls is just pure cheap.

25. Hunam

Um? What? The game is super fair. It just takes a bit a patience and learning.

26. NoxNoctisUmbra

Yes good news!!!!

I don’t like how my ps3 version does not have good aa

By the way why are some people scared of DRM? What is it exactly? Something to do with anti piracy?

27. _LarZen_

Now it’s up to the pc community to actualy BUY the game.

28. loki

Namco Bandi you are idiots
    Anoter fail sux pC port
    Total fail of game industry

29. lexph3re

i dont knowif this is a good idea. this game thrives off of the fact of being uncompromising towards the player and making them really work at earning their place. when this hits pc all you’ll see is people customizing and altering the game to what they want.

I can see it already people making their weapons stronger then the game allows invading unsuspecting players destroying them. Making their characters into giants thrashing about with unlimited health. The game will just become something completely different.

30. Talkar

Just like there once were cheats in a game. Sure you can use them. You can get the most powerful weapon on the first level. But you don’t have to.

31. Erthazus

YES :D

32. The_Red

Knowing PC gamers, they’ll actually mode and change it to become harder and more uncompromising. Sure, some people do cheat and make things easier but most PC gamers prefer harder RPGs.
    That’s why Rouge-likes have become so popular lately. Heck, people actually diss easier ones like Dungeons of Dremor (Which is an awesome game and only a bit less clunky compared to something like DF).

33. Erthazus

@lexph3re, relax bro, with mods i’m going to make it even harder.

34. L.O.R.D

why some one want to play this game offline ?
    this game is more fun in online
    of course it will be DRM

35. Gekidami

What the majority of these comments remind me of:

36. absolutezero

Online Petitions never work. I mean who would listen to a bunch of rabid pirating PC Gamers on the… oh

oh.

37. The_Red

Good point. Dark Souls’ online is truly something else and it’s actually the only part of it that I believe is better than Demons Souls. The whole thing has nothing to do with lobbies, quickmatches, chats and other crap.

The Dark Souls online is actually part of the singleplayer if that makes any sense. Really brilliant system. LOVED the book of guility.

38. Erthazus

I hope that they will do some decent port with controls because with mouse and keyboard it’s going to be much easier then playing with a controller.

Especially if you are going to use BOW.

39. LOLshock94

if from software are doing then am sorry but it will be a shit port since they have no experience doing pc stuff so hopefully someone who isnt FS

40. L.O.R.D

@ 37
    i hated that book
    my name was in that list, and all my friend targeted me all the time
    until i got that great bow and start to hunt down all of them
    mowhahahaha

41. freedoms_stain

Good news, I freakin hate physical media.

42. The_Red

See, that’s part of the fun. Of course I avoided “sins” just so I could go kill others. So fun, evil and even righteous! As for the book and sins, I think you could bribe that dude below one of bells (Who appears of and talks after ringing the church bell).

43. L.O.R.D

i hate that man..i almost killed him because of the way he stand ( come at me bro )
    the first time i thought him is an enemy

44. The_Red

I don’t know. I liked using him to leave covenants peacefully. Still, he was rather creepy.

Say, have you played Demon’s Souls as well?

45. brotherhoodofthewolf

Day Fucking One.
    My favourite game of all time, (hopefully) to be made even better.

46. Sini

Demon SOuls was better than Dark Souls.

47. L.O.R.D

no,i don’t have time for it anyway
    i got Dark souls on my Xbox

48. Kabby

Whatever you think of the game, bringing it to PC is a pretty baller decision.

49. Dead Bones

I’ve wanted to play both Souls games for a while now, but if it uses Steamworks or something I’m going to wait for a sale… I just can’t justify paying full price for a game with that sort of DRM.

The thing is that it doesn’t even seem to prevent piracy any better than less restrictive DRM, but what it does prevent is second-hand sales. It never feels like I actually own that stuff in the same way that I own other things.

50. LOLshock92

FUCK YEAH !!

51. back_up

PC casual platform gamers whining about difficult lol
    keep playing farmville

52. The_Red

It’s a shame it’s a PS only game. However, if you get the chance to try it, do it. That game is AWESOME. As #46 said, it’s much better than Dark Souls.

53. Dark

@51 your trolling always remind me of this

54. back_up

PC gamers reminds me of stupid community whining all over developers forums
    begging for games port
    go play farmville

55. back_up

every PS3 game is best
    RROD and stupid PC gamers are casual gamers

56. CPC_RedDawn

You again! All you ever do on here is whine about PC gamers.

Let me just remind you, on what platform is all your consoles games made? What platform is it that, if it did not exist, console games would have never seen the light of day?

That is right, PC (or even Mac to a certain degree).

PC gamers only complain and moan because we get treated so badly by so many developers. Then the devs moan that their game gets pirated so much.

Crysis 1 was exclusive and it boasted extremely high graphics even on the lower settings, it was pirated because many PC gamers feared that if they brought the game it would not run on their machines.

Assassin Creed & Spore, where both raped by pirates because the games came littered with DRM or Always online activation in order to play even the single player.

Here we see PC gamers seeing how good a game is, in this case Dark Souls and Demon Souls. And they want it on their platform. Guess, what they listened to us. PC gamers ask, and we get. I bet if Xbox gamers demanded Uncharted be released for the 360 would Sony listen? Hell no!

I can not wait to see your comments when the next consoles are released and rumours are confirmed that they will require an Internet Connection to even turn on, or they will have a game lock system so pre owned games are useless.

Then we shall see who is the one moaning.

57. CPC_RedDawn

Guess what, I own a PS3 and the exclusives are awesome. Much better than the 360 which I also owned as well.

But overall, I am a PC gamer. Not a casual PC gamer who sits on facebook all day playing farmville.

I am a PC gamer who plays COD, TF2, Skyrim, Batman, Dirt, WoW, AoC, CSS, Quake, Oblivion, SF4, TR, Borderlands, Starcraft 2, to name but a few. And do not even tell me that fighting or racing games are better on a console, guess what we also have USB ports as well. We can use ANY controller we want too :)

jealous man is jealous. Go play your weak outdated console and leave us PC gamers to our machines that can do things your console can only dream of.

58. back_up

–> PC gamers pirates so much that’s why developers implement DRM
    why would developers purposely put strict drm without any reason ?

Crysis ….. machines.
    –>lamest excuse to pirate a game

Here… Hell no!
    –>from software is multiplatform developer yet almost 1 yr delay of PC por because of high piracy
    uncharted belong to Sony

I …. useless
    we shall see
    also used games are not from PC from the long time

PC gamers always moan is a fact and can be proven at any time

59. back_up

don’t compare 100% RROD casual garbage to PS3
    PS3 is best

farmville gamers are also PC gamers = fact just nothing can be done

I …. too
    that list proves PC has no exclusives
    PC gamers are hackers that’s why u can connect controller to PC
    and u r point proves kb/mouse sucks thank u

jealous man is jealous. Go play farmville on PC and leave us Ps3 gamers to our machines that has awesome exclusives u PC gamers can only dream of.

60. Gekidami

- Troll trolls.
    - People respond.
    - Successful troll is successful.

61. Maximum Payne

@60 Yep :D

62. back_up

whining whining at developers forums
    some PC gamers even die then developers ports game to PC
    successful whining is successful whining.

63. lkm

#60 hahaha you killed me! but you have to agree that its pretty fun.

64. Talkar

It is really enjoyable to read the how sensible people are trying to argue with an ignorant troll :P

65. The_Red

So true though I don’t agree with the ignorant part. Those comments seem almost like someone having fun. Kinda like a professional griefer or something.

66. LOLshock92

Ignore the pc hater troll.

67. absolutezero

He obviously knows his way around a PC and the Net enough to evade ban he just got.

So yes, ignore all of it.

68. L.O.R.D

hahaha
    there is alot of troll war here
    anyway..to the PC hater..i have news for you
    FarmVille is coming to console ( xbox 360 maybe )

69. Telepathic.Geometry

I wonder if the new bosses will be pushed out to existing users on console as free DLC?

70. CPC_RedDawn

#1 Learn how to spell

#2 You say my point proves that keyboard and mouse sucks, well then that goes for a control pad too, because why else would ALL three Nintendo, Sony, and MS each create a new controller (wiimote, move, and kinect!?) You try and play a PC gamer in any FPS game using a control pad and the keyboard and mouse PC gamer will completely wipe the floor with you

#3 You are right the PS3 does have great exclusives, that is why I own one. I give credit where credit is due. Unlike you.

#4 If there is ANY multi platform game that gets a PC release as well I much prefer to play on PC. Because of the better options we have, for graphics, controls, mods, dedicated servers, etc.

#5 PS3 has just as much casual garbage as the rest, explain PS Move to me!? It is a carbon copy of the Wii that looks like a dildo with a flashing light on the end.

#6 On what platform where those GREAT PS3 exclusives made? PC!

#8 Yeah, sure A LOT of PC gamers pirate games. That is because it is so easy to do so, DRM is NOT a bad thing. But having DRM that effects your systems performance in not a good thing, or having DRM hidden from you also is not. Being forced to have the internet always connected just to play singleplayer also is not. DRM can be a good thing and it can stop people from pirating games, but the way devs and pubs have handled it so far is not a good way of doing it.

#9 You say PC gamers are hackers? Yea sure there a lot of hackers. But have you played COD on PS3? LOL, full of hackers using mods, insane XP boosts, aimbots, wall hacks, etc.

#10 You can hate PC and PC gamers ALL you want, but without PC and PC gamers (mainly modders) Your precious consoles would not do half the stuff they can do today.

PC invented the discrete graphics card, consoles started using them too.

PC invented FPS genre, FPS genre is the most played genre on consoles.

PC invented the RPG (through text and point and click games) console copied RPG’s.

PC created online games connecting people around the world, creating communities. Consoles are still catching up to PC’s in this regard, still most games use P2P as their servers.

Face it, PC is the wheel that drives your console. Without it, there is NO consoles. FACT!

71. bagelhunt

I signed up just to say I own a gaming PC, PS3, 2 Xbox 360s (one modded so I can pirate its shitty games), and a Wii and I like all of them. I own Dark Souls for the 360 and Demons Souls for the PS3. I also plan on getting Dark Souls again for PC once it comes out.

My point? Babies are mad that their mommy can only afford one console at a time and to soothe their butthurt go and throw insults at the opposite console.

Stay mad, plebians.

72. back_up

1. u learn to buy games

2. controllers don’t sucks and kb/mouse sucks u have proved with u r previous statement (guess what we also have USB ports as well. We can use ANY controller we want to)

3.PS3 is best and PC sucks and has no big exclsuives

4. completely wrong stop fooling u r self (only skyrim got mod tools)
    PS3 version of UT also has mods

5.Ps move is core not causal and if u think it is still PS3 casual games
    are better than stupid farmville,vityville,PCnoobville LMAO

6. so wat

7. LMAO u skipped “7″

8. i again repeat my statements
    “PC gamers pirates so much that’s why developers implement DRM
    why would developers purposely put strict drm without any reason ?”

9.PC gamers are hackers and threat to any country all bad things happens only on PC.PC = terriost main platform

10. keep dreaming u forgot PS1 and N64 days u are noob

(people )developers invent game genre not PC

face it PC gamers are terriost,sex workers,hacker who uses PC to destroy
    country

73. back_up

guinea pig are mad that their mommy,daddy cannot only afford games and that’s why PC gamers are biggest pirates who don’t support developers
    Stay mad, and keep playing farmvile

74. back_up

hahaha get ready 360 will get RROD
    360 gamers spends his life buying new console
    thanks to 100% RROD

75. back_up

keep killing game developers

76. HauntaVirus

77. Kalain

Not really. There are plenty of anonymous proxy’s out there which will let you avoid IP bans by just going through their website. He might a little intelligence in avoiding IP bans via this way, but I’m not so sure on his actual intellect anyway.

He’s probably changing email address as well to avoid an email ban on here.

There are ways to stop him completely but it does require a bit more skill on the sites behalf. Maybe Pat should speak to WordPress about it, they are very helpful

78. lkm

Hahaha back_up you are the king of trolling seriously not a single sense in what your saying and yet driving people crazy.

79. StolenGlory

Why the hell is back_up back on these boards?

I thought he had been banned?

80. Edo

@78 “not a single sense in what your saying and yet driving people crazy.”…well …that’s thing isn’t it…

81. NeoSquall

Please can some PC hacker here pierce the CIA database and place a terrorist dossier claiming there’s a WMD lab in back_up’s basement?

Maybe that’s the only way we can remove him from existence and do a favor to humanity as well.

82. reask

I found dark souls a really difficult game.
    I gave up on it tbh as I just found it to challenging.

I have a guy on my friends list who platted it and I just say to myself how did he do it. :(
    Fair play to the ones who stuck with it as it appears to be a wonderful game once you stick with it.

83. bagelhunt

Your only viable argument is to basically repeat what I just said, madlibbing pro pc arguments with console words, and then say I play farmville.

I don’t even have a facebook/tumblr/twitter. Try again.

84. shogoz

“You say my point proves that (THE) keyboard and mouse sucks….”

I think you should pick up a grammar book from somewhere while he “learns how to spell”. Where are your fullstops in #2 of your “I’m under the false belief that i’m more intelligent than you” paragraph :P . Can you say that whole sentence out loud without taking a breath? (after you remove the cock from your mouth of course). in #3 of your argument you started a sentance with “unlike” which is completely wrong too. in #4 i do believe you meant to say “If there (are) ANY multi-platform game(s) that (get) a PC release….” I won’t go into the rest :) . in #5….”explain (the) PS move…” and etc and etc and etc. stop pretending that you have pubic hair and that you’re better than everyone else like a typical child. There are enough fuckheads
    online without you adding to them. btw I didn’t bother editing my sentence because I don’t really give a fuck. i just wanted to show you where YOU went wrong, jerk.

85. GwynbleiddiuM

“3.PS3 is best and PC sucks and has no big exclsuives”

God bless the internet and all the crazy stuff that comes with it /roflmao