Tomasz Gop provides a few details on Project RPG

Thursday, 5th April 2012 19:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Former CD Projekt man Tomasz Gop has announced the RPG he’s working on contains a combat system inspired by Arkham City, Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur. Developed by Deck13, the game – codenamed Project RPG – will take place 1000 years after the death of a God, whose corpse has turned into a mountain thus dividing the earth in twain. Each half adheres to its own belief system which means you will have to choose your side early on in the game. Enemies in it will also be recognizable by their behavior instead of how they appear. City Interactive is the publisher, and it is slated for release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 sometime next year. Thanks, DigitalSpy.

1. TheWulf

“Enemies in it will also be recognizable by their behavior instead of how they appear.”

I’ll believe that when I see it.

If, however, they do decide to go that way then they’ve already got one person’s interest. I often feel that there’s a certain xenophobia to games, where you have these shiny, perfect, sexed up humans humans–who’re obviously targeted at the lowest common denominator–killing the most stereotypical monsters ever.

I mean, it’s been downplayed, sure, but it’s still there. There’s not a lot of difference today to back when this sort of thing was king. And it’s so stale and stereotypical these days.

Frankly, I’d rather be the dragon or doombeast that’s torching these perfect, shiny humans as they flail ineffectually, whining about how the heavens have turned upon them, and how difficult it has made their perfect, shiny lives.

In fact, because of that, I often find the critters that are fought against as something I can more readily sympathise with than what we actually play as, because let’s be honest… videogame heroes are more often than not complete bastards. And the stuff we fight just seems entirely passive. Very often it’s killing for sport.

“Kill this thing.”
    “Why?”
    “It looks like a MONSTER.”
    “Does it?”
    “It’s probably hurt someone.”
    “Has it?”
    “Probably.”
    “Do you have any evidence of that?”
    “Me wife went mi–”
    “Hello dear!”
    “Uh. It… has eaten children.”
    “There are children missing?”
    “Sure!! Will you go kill it now?”
    “Where are the parents of these children?”
    “JUST GO AND KILL THE FUCKING THING.”
    “Can I just kill you instead?”

In fact. I want to give Bioware an accolade for actually avoiding this with Mass Effect. I mean, they played up to it just to appeal to the neckbeards with Dragon Age, obviously, but Mass Effect?

In Mass Effect you have ethical and unethical factions of every race, including everything in between. Cerberus, for example, was utterly incredible insofar as a believable villain goes. I loved Cerberus. Not that I agreed with them, but because they made such an utterly sensible villain. The Illusive Man is videogaming’s Magneto.

And in the Blue Suns, Eclipse, and so on, you had members of every race. Only the Blood Pack was restrictive. So often you were fighting the same races you were trying to save. You even got a geth on your side, who ended up being one of my favourite characters. (Legion was beautiful.)

Bioware seemed to GET IT for once, that writing a believable story where you’re actually feeling as though you’re part of a living Universe means that you don’t have DEM GOOD GUYS and DEM BAD GUYS, but rather people with motivations. Let me break it down…

Geth: Brainwashed by the Reapers.
    Collectors: Genetically reprogrammed by the Reapers.
    Reapers: Brainwashed by some crazy, misguided AI who believes the Universe ‘needed it’ to survive.

It was incredible.

I want more developers to understand that.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

I agree with you 100% Wulf. I think Ico/SotC/Deus Ex(original)/Demon’s Souls got this right as well, making me feel like a real bastard killing some of them. More of this, having a few clear enemies is okay, but it’s nice to have a few where you’re not really sure if you’re the good guy or the bad guy… /tips hat to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

3. The_Red

@1 & @2
    Demon’s Souls made me feel the worst during the prison tower level. Seriously, those damned souls in the prison. A really interesting and nice touch was that killing (mostly) harmless prisoners didn’t cause “black/dark world tendency”. The whole tendency system was like a cruel karma system but to these prisoners, even that didn’t apply. They offered little XP and would only occasionally hurl the player. They were a very few armed ones but still… that was a harrowing experience.

Same goes for the egg-thingy infected people of Dark Souls but not as effective.
    Back on topic: 1000 years after the death of god!? SOLD!! Really REALLY awesome premise.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

I always felt like killing those dudes was a mercy. :) They seemed happy to die…

5. Hybridpsycho

@1 Sorry but I see no valid points at all in your arguments.

What you’re saying is that you don’t like the idea of killing monsters ’cause you think they seem passive, which basically means that you believe the humans/elves/dwarves etc in said genres oppress the “alienated” races.

I don’t believe I’ve seen this in any fantasy game over the past years, sure there has been “racism” in games and other passive races have been oppressed by the “superior” race.

However what you are saying is very untrue, I’d like you to name a few example where this actually happens.

When I started writing this comment I thought I’d write alot more, but I figured your whole post was the above and then the rest was you kissing BioWares ass.

Please go do that somewhere else, BioWare isn’t the company they used to be and the quality of their games has become alot worse (not saying they’re bad, I like Mass Effect and I loved Dragon Age before DA2). But they’re not worth the praise people give theme, especially when you compare their olders games to their newer ones.

PS: To be honest, the Mass Effect universe is just a copy of the Star Wars universe without the lightsabers. Again, not saying it’s bad…but you do give it far to much praise.