Civilization V: Gods & Kings lands on PC in June

Thursday, 5th April 2012 15:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

2K has announced the Gods & Kings expansion pack for Civilization V will be released in North America on June 19 and internationally on June 22. Included in the expansion is new gameplay content allowing players to found a Pantheon of the Gods where their created prophets will spread the newly founded religion across the world. The expansion also includes new types of city-states, new systems for land and naval combat, nine new civilizations, nine new wonders, three original scenarios, and dozens of new units, buildings, technologies and resources.

1. DSB

I recently picked it back up in anticipation for this, but it’s impressive how buggy the game still is.

It’s not a port, and it’s not done by Obsidian or Bethesda, so what the hell went wrong?

Civ IV had troubles, but it turned into a masterpiece. They seem oddly unambitious when it comes to doing the same for Civ V.

2. Colin Gallacher

There goes my summer.

3. OlderGamer

I keep waiting for them to clean up the game DSB. But so far …

I mean as it is, it is still a good game. But …

Maybe things will get better with this expansion.

I like expansions far more then dlc nickle and dime crap anyways.

4. DSB

@3 That’s the thing that gets me – It really wouldn’t take a lot to make it the game it’s supposed to be. It’s far from hopeless.

Right now it just doesn’t work.

In my latest game I was building a progressive country, and having trouble with England who were constantly declaring war on me or my friendly neighbour. Each time I either defeat their armies and force them to settle, or pay them into a peace treaty.

So then my friendly neighbour asks me if we should whoop England together, and I’m like “Sure”. So then after 10 turns, we both attack, and I decide I don’t want to deal with England anymore, so I wipe them out.

Then my friend suddenly turns “guarded” and no ammount of money, gifts or sweet talking changes that.

I mean what the hell? We both declared war at the same time, on an extremely aggressive nation, but somehow that’s percieved as unilateral?

Really, Civ V needs some of the guys from Paradox to go and teach them something about making a detailed diplomatic model that works. It’s as bad as the Total War campaign right now.

5. Erthazus

Game is broken, but it’s a good game. I hope that with this expansion everything will be fixed.