Shadowrun Returns is latest project to pop up on Kickstarter

Wednesday, 4th April 2012 21:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Harebrained Schemes is the latest to join Kickstarter with a project needing a helping hand. In this case, it’s for Shadowrun Returns, which has until April 29 to reach its goal of $400,000. So far, 3,547 have backed the title with $165,815 and counting. Any excess funds will be put to releasing a Mac version of the game additional content, and languages other than English. The game will be a single-player 2D, turn-based RPG with Shadowrun vets penning the script and designing the game. Hit up the link to aid in the development and glean more information. A video is posted below.

1. silkvg247

Loved the game on genesis. If that wasn’t enough to back it, the apology for the FPS was. :)

2. The_Red

Now THIS is how you go about making a Shadowrun game. FUCK you Microsoft. FUCK for ruining a great name with a pointless FPS.

Hopefully this one gets serious support. “Single-player 2D, turn-based RPG”!? Seriously!? With this and Wasteland 2, it seems the best days of RPG may be back. Now if only someone could destroy Bethesda and make a proper Fallout Returns.

3. DSB

Crimson Skies *eyes glaze over*

… And you’re making Shadowrun? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

4. TheWulf

They don’t even need to try to convince me with this. I just dropped a very non-trivial sum of money on it without even thinking about it. It’s ShadowRun… glorious ShadowRun. And the real ShadowRun to boot… this makes me so happy.

Is it possible? It’s like I’m finally getting these pangs of hope and we might be returning to a time where creativity is king again. Where publishers don’t force populist choices on developers just because the everyday public is too small- and bloody-minded to actually be creative.

It saddens me to think that to the average person of my ethnicity, ‘escapism’ means having an obedient, obsequious woman to bang, a big house to live in, and a fast car to drive. How utterly fucking boring can you be? There’s just no romance there, no sense of adventure… and it just makes you wonder what even compels them to get up in the morning if their heads are that dead and barren.

But I’ve always been about the more off the world, unique, abstract stuff. And ShadowRun is just… utterly batshit. It’s just bonkers. And more importantly, it doesn’t give a shit if you can’t deal with it being bonkers because it’s not going to bend over just for you.

Too many developers do that, these days.

They make their games boring just to sell to the largest amount of people. The lowest common denominator, the cancer of entertainment in our time. Instead they could be targeting underserved demographics, spending LESS on making games, and actually making the things that they WANT to make, rather than what they feel they HAVE to make.

I could aim that back at you. What the fuck is wrong with you?

I can’t understand someone who’d hate ShadowRun. You’re dead to me.

I think the reason that you think the way you do though is because you’re one of those ‘fast car’ sorts. Crimson Skies was only a minimally interesting alternate history thing, there was nothing really adventurous or exotic about it. With ShadowRun, you have damn near infinite potential with a good GM.

Buuut you actually need an imagination for that.

5. DSB

@4 We can’t all be histrionic bitches now, can we?

I don’t know if you’re implying that you might actually represent those with an imagination yourself, but usually such an ability is accompanied by at least a minimal capacity for tolerating points of view other than your own.

I’d like to think I’m relatively primitive, but you’re the caveman. You’re just too much of a self-infatuated baby to realize it.

6. Fnoros

I like shadowrun and role playing and all, but 2d? turn-based? this game would have to do something really incredible with story or scale or something to get me interested now. But then again, i kind of liked the shadowrun FPS (i mean, i wish it had a story mode or something, but i thought the core gameplay was pretty good), so i’m probably not the target audience here.

NEW IDEA!!! combine shadowrun (awesome setting, role-playing, MAGIC!!!, GUNS!!!) with assassins creed (open-world, PARKOUR!!!) and BAM! near-perfect videogame!
    CURSE YOU, UBISOFT, FOR NOT CONSIDERING MOD SUPPORT!

7. Gheritt White

Ok, this is the first Kickstarter I’m backing.

8. Gheritt White

Backed, for $32. I feel strangely good about this.

9. Gekidami

“For PC and Tablets” is just a nice way of saying; “We want to make an iPhone game… And will stick it on PC to keep the vocal PC fanboys happy”. Also “Old School” & “Rich 2D graphics, turn based” means; “A direct, unoriginal remake of the 23 year old pen a paper version, made with the most basic visuals possible”.

10. Sadismek

This will be the first project I’ll back on Kickstarter. LOL @Mitch Gitelman’s sign with “SORRY!”. We won’t forgive you.

11. LOLshock94

lulwut am i the only one who thought the fps version was a solid multiplayer game? dafuq is wrong with you fossils?

12. YoungZer0

@4:

Wow, Wulf, i expected better from you. Shadowrun is not a person, any developer could decide to buy the rights for the game and produce a Shadowrun that has little to nothing to do with Shadowrun.

… kind of like the Shadowrun Game from 2007.

13. johnkarter

I’ve been backing up a few Kickstarter projects Shadowrun and this one below. Looks like it will be really cool!