UK teachers claim pupils are addicted to gaming’s violent “fantasy worlds”

Tuesday, 3rd April 2012 16:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The UK’s Association of Teachers and Lecturers held its annual conference recently, during which it was discussed how young children are “acting out violent scenes from adult computer games” in the playground.

According to a report on the Guardian, said children, some as young as four, are “simulating car crashing and graphic injuries” seen when playing adult-rated games “unsupervised” in their bedrooms.

Teachers are claiming the games are making their students more aggressive and addicted to “fantasy worlds that separate them from reality”.

You can read the rest through the link, and always remember: games are bad, m’kay?

[image]

1. freedoms_stain

20 years ago my running from side to side and jumping on peoples heads was the envy of the playground.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 As were my skills at finding the scattered tri-force pieces all over Hyrule, er um St. Leo’s playground.

3. DSB

So, what game are they acting out when they do meth and get pregnant at 15?

I wanna play that one!

4. Dannybuoy

And I was playing out scenes of a cowboy mercifully slaying another cowboy because he stole my 5er conker. Nothing new going on now really.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@3 I believe that was Super Mario Bros. 3

6. Ben

This article does highlight a significant problem: kids are still being allowed to play games which they are not old enough to play. Parents are very quick to slam the games industry for the mature content it churns out….but don’t think to actually stop their underage child from playing it!

7. ManuOtaku

No wonder i spent my class breaks finding and eating mushrooms, now i finally understand, thanks to this teachers findings i dont have to pay a shrink, i thank this teachers from the bottom of my wallet.

Next time you know it, videogames are at fault for imaginary friends too.

p.s how the teachers know they are indeed acting out violent scenes from adult computer games?,

8. viralshag

“fantasy worlds that separate them from reality”.

Well blow me down… kids are using their imagination? Call the police already.

“We all expect to see rough and tumble, but I have seen little ones acting out quite graphic scenes in the playground and there is a lot more hitting, hurting and thumping in the classroom for no particular reason.”

Maybe you’re just a shit teacher.

“Mary Bousted, general secretary of ATL, said many teachers were worried that parents ignored age restrictions on games. “The watershed tends to work quite well, but with online TV and video children and young people are probably watching inappropriate content over a range of media,” she said.”

Well there’s your problem, not games but bad parenting. There was maybe an excuse a decade ago that parents couldn’t be expected to know all the dangers the internet and *unsupervised* use of the internet were.

But really, now, there’s no excuse in my opinion for allowing your child total free reign with technology considering all the parent/child locks that are built in to them.

Maybe I will change my outlook when/if I become a parent.

9. The_Deleted

Are they sure these kids aren’t just acting the action packed cartoon tey watch. I know cartoons et al aren’t allowed mano a mano violence anymore, but guess what?!?!?! kids have an imagination and one guy gets to be Ben 10 while they kick robot kids metaphorical arse.
    Or maybe the parents are letting them watch films like Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman which seem to rated more toward the teen market?
    In the interests of full disclosure, my son is 6 and enjoys films and games that maybe the powers that be would rather he didn’t, but I’m also very mindful of the difference between aggression and ‘violence’, which seems to be the catch all description for those who know nothing about games. It’s the parents who don’t give a shit about raising their children
    who are the issue.

10. back_up

all those are xbox ,wii and PC gamers everyone knows that

11. silkvg247

Don’t kids simulate car crashes and killing all the time anyway, with regular toys?

12. Froseidon

@1 & 2 – Made me chuckle!

@10 – Trying to start a fanboy / rage argument are you?

13. OrbitMonkey

I once was talking to a neighbour who spoke fondly of a gaming session he had with his 9 year old son, where they happily strolled through the airport in MW2 killing everyone… You can’t tell me that’s a bad thing!!

14. DuckOfDestiny

New research just come in by me:

Kids are violent little fuckers and have always been violent little fuckers.

15. drewbles82

I spoke to a parent who was upset that she couldn’t use her sons game rewards card to buy MW3. She told me how the young boy had saved up his pocket money, along with trade ins to ask his mother nicely to go spend it for him. Only the rewards thing was down at my local.
    I told her it was an 18 rated game, she replied, well you know kids these days, its just a game, wont do him any harm.

16. Gheritt White

@14: QFT.

17. CPC_RedDawn

Once again, people attacking violent computer games.

Its NOT the games fault, its the stupid parent’s that will buy anything for their child just to shut them up.

My mother (RIP) only brought my Mortal Kombat for the SNES when I was 5 years old. But if she found me copying the game in any way I was banned from playing it. Plus I was raised with the understanding that a game is a game. Just as a movie is a movie and its not real.

I watched “The Exorcist” and the “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” when I was about 7 years old. Scared the crap out of me, but again I was taught that it was not real. I never went out and chainsaw’d someone to death. Or “Finished Him” with a fatality. No, instead I was more interested in how it was made, and thus began my passion for film and game making :)

What people have to realise now is that with the advent of HD games things are getting more realistic than before. So it is more believable. Games like COD, BF3, or even the new Mortal Kombat. Seeing that kids will believe almost anything they see in film or games, if I saw MW3 or BF3 when I was a kid;

#1 I would of flipped out at how real it looked

#2 I would want to play it

#3 I would of never have re-enacted it, for fear that my mom would of bitch slapped me into next week.

This what children need, discipline, reward them when they are good and kick their arses when they are bad. And if they cant tell that a game is JUST a game then they should never have been allowed to play them.

18. LOLshock94

I dont think ive ever heard of a case were a kid has been violent because of videos games, except that one time were i thought i was playing word search and accidently stabbed someone 17 times with a knife lol good times

19. back_up

and u are waiting to reply when fanboy / rage argument starts ?