Quick Quotes – Wii U “could be first real console” to run a MMO “without compromise”, says Funcom

Tuesday, 3rd April 2012 20:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“Wii U could be the first real console on which running an MMORPG without compromise is plausible. The controller is perfect for lining up those rows of hotbars that are essential in most MMOs. A customisable touchscreen interface combined with the 3D spatial movement of a console controller could be a winner.” – Funcom developer Joel Bylos to Official Nintendo Magazine.

1. OlderGamer

That could be interesting. But I wouldn’t say it is the only console capable, DCUO works pretty nice on PS3 right now. But he is right, there could be many uses for the tablet controler. Taping/activating skills/spells in an rpg type game could be one of em.

Still kind of hard to imagine Conan or something on WiiU.

2. CPC_RedDawn

@OlderGamer

Whilst I have never played an MMO on a console. DCUO was a joke from what I heard.

On topic, whilst I think the WiiU would be almost perfect for an MMO game, I think they really need to add “multi-touch” into the screen instead of just a “one-touch” mechanic. Almost every touch screen mobile available now has it.

But even more worrying is Nintendo’s reluctance to show us the WiiU’s hardware specs. If they the rumours are true that it will containt a Quad-Core 3.2GHz, 1GBRAM, and HD4870 GPU chip then I shall be one happy bunny as that should put the system quite a few steps ahead of the PS3 and 360.

However, my fear is this, if they are releasing a system that is just marginally more powerful than current systems (and its easy to code for so ports are easy) then I fear that devs and publishers will stick to making games for this console (and just porting games over to the others) and once again we will be stuck with poor graphics as devs and pubs wont want to loose money on making higher quality and more expensive games on the PS4 or Xbox 720.

Hear me now Nintendo!!!

Get a HD 1080p Zelda game out for launch with 4xMSAA, 16XAF, High quality textures and make it like Twilight Princess (minus the stupid wolf sections). This wont happen of course. But if it looks anything like that DEMO that was shown at last years E3 then I am in!! :)

Also, if Nintendo gets World Of Warcraft onboard, and they lower the price to say £5.99 a month and include ALL the expansion packs… Not that I am a fan on WoW but seriously they could make some serious money from this!

3. HighWindXIX

The WiiU still sounds like a gimmick to me but this sounds pretty cool actually. I hope the rumors of the Vita being able to function the same way for PS4 comes true because this would be great.

4. Virginityrocks

Hmm. I wonder if tablet controllers are the way of the future. With buttons, too, of course.

5. back_up

wat a loser funcom is
    PS3 already did this
    and granfathers that bought wii are dead now so zero sales for Wiiu

6. The_Red

Yeah, because Nintendo has shown time and time again that they are the best when it comes to online and network. Right? RIGHT!?

7. OlderGamer

Well Reddawn, I can’t speak for everyone, but I thought DCUO for PS3 was pretty well done and fun to play. Because of its action focused gameplay and lack of auto attacks(something most MMOrpgs rely on), DCUO felt very good with a PS3 controler.

The problem I had with it was that there just wasn’t enough content. And that is a problem with most MMOrpgs today. When compared to wow and its expansions or even more EQ and its many expansions, most MMOrpgs just feel like they are short on content. Wow has 85 levels to gain, when I played DCUO there were 30.

I enjoyed what was there, and was thrilled it was free 2 play.

I very much doubt that anyone is looking at Nintendos new system and targeting it for a MMO release. And really, that wouldn’t fit into what Nintendo has typicly done in the past. That doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be done. I just can’t see it happening.

As for hardware power not allowing it? Thats silly. The PS2 had EverQuest Online Adventures. And it was very well done.

But I would believe an announcment that Orbis was hosting EverQuest 3 far more then I can believe that WiiU is a platform for any MMOrpg(beyond PSO2 – and to call that a MMO is a stretch).

As far as tablet controlers being the norm going forward, it wouldn’t suprise if controlers did evolve. They have been stagnet for a while. And the WiiMote was a good step toward expanding how we interact with games. And of course was followed by Move and Kinect. Then Nintendo announces the Tablet controler, and Sony follows with Vita to Orbis controls. MS will prolly still push Kinect for a long time. But the point there is that how we interact with games will likly continue to evolve. And tablets offer alot of things that traditional controls can’t.

8. Freek

The fact that Nintendo’s online infrastructure is such a dissaster is exactly why you can do an MMO on that platoform.
    There are no rules and protocols to adhere too like with Live and PSN. You have to do everything yourself, wich is what an MMO developer wants anyway.

9. ManuOtaku

I like this and i cannot wait for the dragon quest MMO IMO, and now more than ever seeing the improvements nintendo are making to their online infrastructure, they are taking the right steps in the right direction.