Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars multiplayer DLC announced

Friday, 30th March 2012 13:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Paradox and Taleworlds have announced the next DLC for action-RPG Mount & Blade Warband is Napoleonic Wars – a multiplayer expansion pack taking place during the final years of Napoleon’s conquest. Watch the video below.

1. viralshag

<3 Mount & Blade.

I'm all over this.

2. DSB

Did they hire the Mount and Musket guys?

3. Stephany Nunneley

@1&2 Has the mounted combat gotten any easier to handle/accomplish? I’ll be brutally honest here: I put about 10 hours into the original and stopped playing it because I just could NOT do battle while on a horse in it. I mean, I know the movements etc are supposed to feel akin to the real thing (which I do ride and I also shoot but not at the same time) – which may have been the reason it was difficult. Otherwise I really liked the game. Mind you this was back in 2008. A lot may have changed since then.

4. DSB

@3 In the original Mount and Blade, the mounted combat was brutally simple. In Warband it gets complicated because it adds a lot of different swings.

It’s really about learning where your weapon is going to be. If you’re doing a straight downward chop, then you’re only going to connect with someones skull to the right of the mounts head. That’s the hardest one to get right in my opinion.

It takes practice. I didn’t like Warband to begin with.

5. viralshag

@DSB, I have to admit I haven’t used a lot of mods for the game as the original is just so damn good. But looking up the M&M Battalion mod looks awesome, might get it later. It does look like they have taken that mod and just made it official though.

@Steph, I haven’t played much of the first game but I find Warband’s mounted combat to be great fun. However, it does take some getting use to. I have started numerous games where I just have some bad luck and I get dropped by either a very lucky or well aimed arrow or spear and get captured no more than about 10 mins into the game haha.

Once you drop some points into your character and weapon stats it does get a bit easier but can still occasionally be brutal if you get blind-sided by a sneaky rider with a polearm.

6. DSB

It’s also a good tip to choose a weapon with a lot of reach, especially on a mount. They differ dramatically. If I choose a weapon with shorter reach I’m going to be missing a few hits until I get used to it.

@5 Yeah it’s excellent, better than Fire and Sword by a mile, but the problem is that it’s basically just online. It has a few singleplayer skirmishes included, but no campaign.

7. viralshag

At the same time though the double handers with more reach are slower and can take a bit to get use to timing wise.

@6, I can’t get into Fire and Sword at all. Warband is by far the best in the series so far.

8. Stephany Nunneley

Well, I was using either a spear, bow or sword – and the problem I had was actually hitting my target while on my horse. So if it was brutally simple, then I am an idiot. :P

9. viralshag

@Steph, Haha, Well in Warband it’s as much about timing than anything else. I have never really gotten the hang of shooting from horseback and I generally stick to a lance and just ride mofos down.

If you weren’t already, it does help if you switch to 1st person view too. I would definitely recommend getting WB.

10. DSB

@7 There are faster weapons with almost the same reach though, it’s all about finding the right one.

@8 In the first one it wasn’t hard in my opinion. In the second one it gets a lot trickier. You have to consider your speed and time it just right. It takes building a sense for it, same as shooting bows and crossbows for that matter.

If you want to improve your chances, it helps to pick a group over a single guy, if they’re lined up you basically can’t miss.