Will Wright doesn’t think consoles are “doomed”

Thursday, 29th March 2012 19:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Will Wright is of the opinion game consoles will always have place in the home even should the importance of such machines become minimal.

“I don’t think they’re doomed, I think they’re not going to become the mainstay of the market like they had been,” he told GI International. “Games really used to be something that were targeted to 16-year-old boys. Now we have people of all generations, genders, walks of life, playing games”

“I think there’ll probably still be dedicated game machines going forwards, sitting on a shelf next to your HDTV. I think that they’re going to be catering to a very specific kind of player, which probably isn’t that different from what they were catering to before. It’s just that a lot more people are now playing games, and they’re not playing it on that device.”

Wright feels the biggest change in the market is social, which is becoming more popular and integrated into everyday life, including games and the systems people play on.

“I think over the last five years or so it really is the diversification, not just of platform, but alongside of that, of the players, the demographics,” he said. “Now we have people of all generations, genders, walks of life, playing games, a lot of them on their cell phones, or on Facebook, or whatever.

“I think that the explosion in platforms has also driven a very healthy diversification of our audience.”

1. LOLshock94

lulwut idiot thought consoles were gunna die?

2. Noodlemanny

@LOLshock94
    I dunno, just read like, a few comments here and there, theres just a couple though. Its not like it has a massive fuck off, bat shit crazy following or anything.

3. Noodlemanny

“to be catering to a very specific kind of player”. Hmmm, what like a sole RPG console… well thats never going to happen. I guess you could say that curent generation is crazy FPS orientated. Apart from Wii. If you could count it as current gen. Anyway the Wii is just mainly ‘shit’ orientated.

4. DSB

He means people who would rather live in a cave with outdated hardware, while everybody else is streaming the last new thing on their half as expensive subscription box.

ie weirdos.

5. Stardog

Well, he’s wrong, but thanks for speaking, Will.

6. ManuOtaku

The only console that is doomed is the wii, according with 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 analyst predictions, and here we are.

7. back_up

PS3 gamers are elite too much awesome exclusive games for them to play

PC is dead and has no exclusives
    Xbox 360 has 100% RROD
    and Wii gamers are 5 yr old

8. Kalain

I think consoles are doomed, but only in what they do. Console are becoming Media centers in my eyes. Play games, watch TV/Movies via Disc or Streaming etc etc.

I don’t see them going away, but as another part of your home media. Plus I see the prices going up as well.