Journey “fastest-selling PSN game ever released”

Thursday, 29th March 2012 15:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony and thatgamecompany have announced Journey has “officially broken PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store sales records,” by surpassing all games ever released on PSN to become the fastest-selling game ever released in both the US and European regions. No figures were provided. It was also announced the soundtrack would be released through the PS Store and iTunes on April 11, and a limited CD will be released in the near future.

1. Ireland Michael

Wanna make a successful “Indie” title?

Just put some pseudo-intellectual farce together, pawn it off as a game, and get a multi-billion corporation to promote it to all the high-school grade philosophers of the world. Profit!

2. Razor

I hate this shit.

“Fastest selling!” “Record breaking!”

And then spectacularly fail to provide any numbers. It’s meaningless without any context.

3. mongbatstar

@1 That’s a very sad stance to take. Have you played it?

4. YoungZer0

@3: I have played it and i want at least half of my money back. 1 hour long gameplay. Are you kidding me?

5. OlderGamer

So it really isn’t a long Journey to take then?

6. Ge0force

Journey is amazing, every gamer interested in more than mainstream action stuff should at least try it!

@YoungZero: no way you’ve explored everything within 1 hour.

7. themadjock

@1 Glad to see you back………sarcasm! More obvious trolling disguised as “opinion”

8. ManuOtaku

I got the game, and so far i like it, but in my eyes is not the best expirience out there, neither the best game, but i do like it.

Having said that what i dont get, is why this game can get away with the fact that for the price-length time relation, it is not been criticize, and asuras warth, for the exact same relation it is, at least for the media and gamers alike, even some gamers that let pass this on journey did bash it on asuras warth***scratches head***, by the way i do also like a lot asuras warth.

9. Razor

Wait, Journey is an hour long?

WTF. Not played it yet.

10. themadjock

@9 It depends how you play it but it is meant to be played in one sitting, more than once so it’s nearer 2.5 – 3hrs if you explore and take some time. Only ignorant trolls and FPS only CoD types wouldn’t be moved by this game

11. OrbitMonkey

From what I see Journey is one of those games that give’s you what you read into it.

12. YoungZer0

@10: Oh, i was moved by the game, right before it ended. Then, i went mad. I feel downright cheated. 17 Euros is way too high for a game that’s this short. I didn’t even hurry at all. I saw and collected most of the things and still it ended under one hour of gameplay.

I also never bought the game to collect bullshit. There is no real reward for that. I wanted to experience a Journey, not a shortwalk.

The games length is inexcusable. Better spend your money on Shadow of the Colossus again.

@11: There is not much to read into, really. The story while only told through pictures, is pretty simple.

13. manamana

@1 Thing is: I embrace every developer who is willing to take another view on “games”. Therefore and for the experience as a whole I really dig Journey. It doesnt have to do with pseudo-intellectuality but with something you obviously don’t get.

14. Gekidami

17€? Only costed me 12.99. I guess you cheated yourself by not having PS Plus?

15. LOLshock94

I havnt played this but an 1hr long game is just disgraceful

16. OrbitMonkey

^ If you put it on veteran setting, it takes about 3 hours ;-)

17. LOLshock94

@16 are right thanks for the info il go download it now

18. YoungZer0

@14: Exact opposite. I usually don’t play Multiplayer on consoles.

19. Dannybuoy

Well deserved I say. It may be short but it’s perfectly formed and engaging, fun, moving and different. Too much hate because of the price. Just get a better job or ask your mummy for more pocket money ;-)

20. Gekidami

What? What are you talking about? What does anything i said have to do with MP?

21. Kuwabara

it took me a few hrs to finish yet i only obtained one trophy. There is much more exploration left for me. So as a cheap downloadable , everyone must buy it!! the last stage alone is worth the purchase!

22. Ireland Michael

@7 Welcome back? What? I never went anywhere.

And really, that’s the best you can come up?

Tell me, what message did you take away from the experience? What emotions did it make you feel? Did you learn anything or think about something from a new perspective thanks to your time with the game?

Flower ranks amongst one of my favourite games of the past decade. *That* was a thoughtful, creative and immersive experience Why would I validate Flower and put down this game if my intention was simply to “troll”? Journey is just… lazy.

til;dr version: You’re an idiot.

People lap this pseudo-intellectual bullshit up like crazy. This, Limbo, Braid, you name it. Its a load of pretentious old bollocks.

@13 And what, pray tell, would that be?

23. Kaufer

@22 I don’t know about that guy but this comic here sums it up for me.

24. themadjock

Michael, it’s not about what I learnt it’s about what I felt, Kaufer is right. What Journey does is to blend together visual, music and co-op gameplay to a level I’ve never seen.

Maybe I’m more of an emotional guy than you and it’s not the first time I’ve been moved at the end of a game (MGS4, Bioshock)but when it happens to me that is a special game and it obviously strikes a nerve when someone dismisses it as lazy, if you had qualified your first statement by saying something like “I thought flower was great but this not so much” I wouldn’t have had a problem

25. KAP

Those that complain its too short is the exact people this game ISNT for.
    Plain and flippin simple.

26. YoungZer0

@25: Don’t think so. As i said before, i loved the experience. But you can’t call your game Journey when its done under one hour. I need more time to be ready to invest myself into a gaming world, one more hour and i’d be happy. You can’t expect me to slow down and artificially lengthen the experience. The best moments were the moments the game moved at a fast pace.

The length is inexcusable.

27. Joe Musashi

Judging a game based on its duration is as dumb as judging a book based on its number of pages.

JM

28. YoungZer0

That’s exactly what we need, another person who’s not here to discuss, but just comes in to drop a useless one-liner.

Thanks Joe.

29. Aimless

They could have easily padded the game out to be longer but it would have been a worse experience for it. It’s clearly designed to be played in one sitting of about 90 minutes, much like you’d watch an entire film consecutively. Its compact nature also encourages you to play through it more than once, the multiplayer aspect adding a different crease to each session; I know people that have played it through multiple times, enjoying each more than the last.

Journey isn’t short so much as lean, all the fat stripped off to preserve a clear progression that’s both mechanically and visually diverse. For comparison I’m currently playing Kingdom’s of Amalur, an enjoyable enough game that can last for 100+ hours but is much of a muchness; I’d be hard pressed to single out any singular moment. Journey has a far greater chance of sticking with me and informing my view of the medium as a whole, so which of those is a more valuable experience?

30. YoungZer0

@29: “They could have easily padded the game out to be longer but it would have been a worse experience for it.”

Disagree, matter of opinion i guess.

“Its compact nature also encourages you to play through it more than once”

Never felt the urge to replay it again.

““Price ÷ Time” is a very poor definition of value for money as it’s ludicrously reductive. Using that logic you could argue a game like The Witcher 2 isn’t value for money when compared to some cash-in 69p iPhone clone because the latter theoretically lasts longer, completely ignoring the craft, variety and production values evident in the former.”

Your argument is ridiculously stupid.

31. Aimless

Every example I gave related to games.

Still, thanks for dropping a useless one-liner.

32. YoungZer0

Remember your comments the next time you complain about the singleplayer campaign of a 50 Euro game.

Seems like everybody is suddenly sitting on high horse, forgetting their complains about the length of singleplayer campaigns in games like Call of Duty. Sorry you can be manipulated this fast, but i need more time for that. The game ended before i had a chance to properly experience it. Replaying it won’t change that.

Sorry, i don’t have the same double-standards.

Is it really too much to ask for a longer Journey?

33. Erthazus

@YZ, i think the difference between Journey and CoD campaign is that one is a complete turd and other one is a great and new experience.

Although 1-3 hours of gameplay is not really that great for 15$. But it’s Sony, what can you add here. It’s gaming industry we love it and they suck our money from our wallet.

My opinion that Journey is a good experience but not worth that kind of money.

34. Ireland Michael

@24 ” Maybe I’m more of an emotional guy than you.”

I doubt that. I just find it hard to be moved when something is dripping with pretentious. Flower did everything this game did and better. It at least had a message interwoven through the whole experience.

“if you had qualified your first statement by saying something like “I thought flower was great but this not so much” I wouldn’t have had a problem.”

Considering my first post wasn’t even about the quality of those games but about how easily these “artistic” games are lapped up by people.

Funny thing in your response, you didn’t once try to explain what exactly the message of the game was or what the experience made you feel. simply that it moved you. You’re gonna have to come up with more than “it looks pretty and has nice music”.

A picture of a lake is pretty, and yes its technically art, but its still not deep or meaningful.

35. Gekidami

You go into something hating it, you’re going to hate it.

36. Ireland Michael

@35 I didn’t go into it hating it. I just didn’t like the final result.

37. absolutezero

People praising these games that are trying something a little bit different and actually failing is better than something generic but good being praised.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpinions!

38. OrbitMonkey

So YoungZero is a size whore (needs a good length sweetie x) and IrelandMichael hates anything as soon as it becomes popular (hipsteeeeeeer!) ;-)

39. TD_Monstrous69

You know, Ii’s kinda dis-heartening seeing people miss the point of what Journey does, and that it’s meant to make you reflect and really think about the Journey you just took ([guessing] hence the name). Though if you don’t like it, or just don’t agree with the message, well, that’s your porblem I guess. I thought Journey was rather remarkable, and I liked it (at least from what I took away from it). I can see why it is it’d be the fastest selling game ever released on the PSN. Though not releasing numbers for just how many people downloaded Journey, I smell something fishy.
    And @38, I second that motion.

40. Ireland Michael

@38 A hipster who hates anything popular?

Seriously?

41. YoungZer0

@38: … and you’re a douche?

@39: So … what’s the message of The Journey, then? Please, enlighten me. Because i’ve missed it. All i saw was a great art-direction, cool and fluid gameplay and a short walk.

I love how people all talk about its deeper meaning, but i’ve yet to see anyone tell me about this deeper meaning.

So embarrassing.

It’s just un-fucking-believable. You people are worse than any Hunger Games Fan i’ve seen. You can’t even admit that the game had flaws.