Assassin’s Creed III will support PC setup, but you may want to use a controller

Wednesday, 28th March 2012 21:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In an interview with GameSpy, Assassin Creed III’s creative director, Alex Hutchinson, said Ubisoft didn’t plan to invest in a “mouse and keyboard setup” for the PC version and went on to suggest gamers use a controller to play the game.

“We’re definitely supporting PC,” said Hutchinson. “We love PC, but I think it’ll be PC with a controller. I don’t see us investing hugely in a mouse and keyboard setup. I think if you want to play on PC and you want to play Assassin’s Creed, you have a controller.”

Ubisoft has since clarified his comment, telling RPS that it “will of course have mouse/keyboard support,” the same as with previous games in the series.

So nothing seems to have changed, really.

Still no exact date for the PC version, but the console version lands in the fall.

1. NeoSquall

I just can’t imagine someone playing an Assassin’s Creed game on PC without a controller: he should either have very flexible fingers or a very durable mouse and keyboard…

2. Erthazus

@1, i play Assassins creed series on the PC using mouse and keyboard and it’s much more comfortable to play than with the controller.
    I have much more action bars that i can use with the keyboard.

Although mouse support could be a bit better.

3. Edo

@1 You actually have no idea how easy it is,especially since player can use mouse both for camera and movement(easier than gamepad) and I personally used it in combination with delete+end buttons(for climbing and fast running)which made it very comfortable to use.

4. NeoSquall

@2 What do you actually do with action bars?

Also I find more “natural” using the index/middle finger on the trigger to keep the lock-on and the thumb to fight, while the left thumb moves the character while both hands grab the pad.

As you can see I didn’t mention the camera because I only need to adjust it with the right stick when moving/free-running.

5. Yoshi

I play using a controller so I’m happy they’re still supporting that… unlike others in the news recently lolz

6. Hunam

Stuff like Assassins Creed, Batman, Darksiders etc, should really be played with a 360 pad, specially as they all automap and refresh the UI to show the buttons correctly in game.

7. _LarZen_

But im glad one has a choice to pick.

8. Maximum Payne

I played every AC on Keyboard and mouse and its especially great when running using parkour you can faster change camera.
    @4 Just like for you is more natural on gamepad that is how for me is more natural on K&M.I only play racing games and fighters with gamepad.

9. mehdidante

in this game i love to stay and watch everything because everything is beautiful , and its easier to do this with M&K . i played all previous games with M&K and i had no problem but supporting controller is also cool .

10. absolutezero

On the other hand there are ports that perform far better with Mouse and Keyboard like Batman, Space Marine and Just Cause 2.

11. Erthazus

@7,

“It’s horrible to play games like this on a mouse & keyboard, one must realy have a controller for the best experience.”

Yeah, i imagine how it is horrible to play with a controller especially when you can’t even turn the camera while using parkour in the direction you want as fast as you want.

Every game that requires a fast change of camera is automatically better to play with mouse and keyboard period.
    From World Of Warcraft or FPS games, to Mirrors edge or Assassins Creed.

@4, “If it’s about changing weapons then I just use a button to open the menu, stop time and select the item I want.”

when you select a weapon in Ass Creed games you don’t even need to use buttons at all. What you need just to select it with your mouse cursor. It’s much faster that way.

12. Talkar

I don’t mind. I’ve been using a controller to play Assassin’s Creed 1 & 2, and the map packs the 2nd game. I’m most likely going to use it in this game too.

13. TheWulf

What #10 said, really.

I do try both, and some just work better with a mouse & keyboard. The original Assassin’s Creed (the only one I’ve played) made the parkour feel clumsy. Parkour should never feel clumsy. The granularity of the mouse controlling the camera make it feel more elegant.

Same for the movement in Space Marine, same for the movement in Just Cause 2. So #10 really is right on the money.

14. ArtificialEnigma

I’m not sure why people think the controls being better is a matter of objective fact. Some people will that mouse and keyboard is more comfortable for them. Some will find that the controller is more comfortable for them. There is no argument here, only contradiction.

Also, contrary to what #11 stated, Assassin’s Creed does not require “a fast change of camera” and even in scenarios where fast camera change is beneficial, being comfortable with the controls will make a much bigger difference in your game experience than a slightly faster camera.

15. absolutezero

Playing Space Marine with M+K completely changes the way you play in comparison to playing with a controller. When I was playing with a controller I found myself either meleeing or shooting, focusing down onto both to the exclusion of the other. This is a foible of the way the controls are laid out on the pad. Switching over to the M+K made the combat are more fluid and responsive, it became the mixed shooting and brawling game that I wanted it to be.

Thats not really objective, its the same for specific games aswell RTS on a pad lack the speed and precision needed, like fighting and driving games lack feedback and analouge controls.

16. DSB

It really is subjective. I haven’t tried Space Marine with a keyboard and mouse (I reckon it’s a mediocre game no matter what you do) but I greatly prefer Batman and Just Cause 2 with a pad.

Just Cause 2 was superbly optimized for it, so you didn’t feel punished on accuracy, and I think it feels a lot better to fire two individual guns with two individual triggers.

On the other hand, I don’t like playing GTA IV or Saints Row The Third with a pad.

17. absolutezero

The specific thing with Just Cause 2 that makes it shine with Keyboard controls is the grapple and the complete control you now have over it. That tied to precise as hell aiming while grappling all over the place constantly just makes a massive difference.

Im a massive massive 40k nerd so I loved Space Marine from start to finish, it helped that it felt like everything in it weighed about 5 tonnes smashing into one another.

18. OwnedWhenStoned

Well, I’m disabled so unless the pad is completely reconfigurable I can’t use it. I’ve been burned with this a few times (Motorstorm on the PS3 for example). The trend of PC games towards controllers worries me.

19. silkvg247

Any game which involves aiming in any way, shape or form, is played better on a mouse/keyboard.

So it depends if AC3 has guns or needs a lot of cam tweaking.

So far I’ve played Just Cause 2 and SR3 on console and PC and I have to say mouse control makes the games infinitely more playable.

20. freedoms_stain

I tend to use controllers where supported except on Multiplayer or most FPS games – but it depends.

I was really annoyed that Bioshock 2 doesn’t support pad and I do wish Mass Effect supported it since stats based accuracy reduces the impact of manual aiming anyway.

Oh, and I played Ass Creed 1 on PC with a pad and Ass Creed 2 on 360, therefore obviously with a pad and never thought to myself “man this needs a mouse”.

21. Da Man

Just Cause? Aiming in that game is as hard as in Syphon Filter. Gears of War is Counter Strike compared to that one. More so with the enemy guys being as subtle as a battering ram.

It just takes practice, if the game was designed with the pad in mind first person shooters work just as well. And without carpal tunnel. MLG pros do wonders with the pad, so it’s irrelevant how someone whose top weapon in Halo is probably Warthog (if any, most likely they just never tried it) feels about it.

Oh well, I bet someone believes Tomb Raider is better with the keyboard.

22. silkvg247

@21 Just Cause 2 + grapple + mouse/keyb = joy joy joy, On console.. diff story. There’s a reason the term “grapple monkey” deviates from a PC classic. Points to those who get it, btw.

I can’t comment on JC1, never played it. I do know JC2 has a lot of aiming heavy gameplay and it feels very fluid with a mouse.

I attend the multiplay gaming events and I spectate the live competitions. I’ve compared TF2 battles to Halo and it’s worlds apart. Even Halo pros seem to be playing in slow motion – because the pad and games designed for the pad will always be slower, and clunkier than a game where you can spin 360 degrees pretty much instantly, as well as twich-aim-headshot in .3s (or so).

It’s not to say fun can’t be had on the pad in FPS, nor is it to say people can’t get exceptionally good with the pad either. But to say a pad is “better” for FPS is like saying margerine is better than butter for crumpets. Mmm. Crumpets.

I think pads have their place, for action games which don’t involve too much aiming. Like Heavenly sword, god of war, etc. Probably AC too; but I don’t play those, I just watch my gf play!

23. Da Man

Second JC is the one I was referring to, it’s really easy to aim and grapple in that game. Enemies who have the intelligence of zombies from Carmageddon and just exist there for you to mess with them for the lulz. The grappling hook and climbing is very loose and shallow. TR Anniversary grappling hook would be an impossible challenge when put side to side with JC2 skyscrapers.

That’s not really true though. Halo is a slow game, that doesn’t make it any less competitive. More so when the shields, absence of headshots until you bring them down and the movement speed all work together to produce the gameplay. ‘Twitch aim headshots’ isn’t really a good thing, it just means you have to have that one reflex, continuously scoring body shots with the BR and then getting the headshot a millisecond before the opponent is what makes the skill gap shine in that game.

Probably the slowest competitive fps. Clunky? Clunky is the word I would describe Killzone as (at least the first two, I don’t know about the third one but that became basically a tps iirc), or perhaps playing Q Arena with the Dualshock.

I’m not saying it’s better, I’m just saying it’s possible to have an ultimately on par competitive experience in something as carefully crafted with the pad in mind as Halo.. Since mouse is a pointer device which is being exploited for entertainment needs, it surely can function as both that and a gamepad stick.