Xbox 360 app usage up 30% year-over year, surpasses online gaming

Tuesday, 27th March 2012 20:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It looks as though Xbox 360 is used more for watching online movies, TV shows and listening to music than it is for online gaming through Xbox Live, according to Microsoft’s Yusuf Mehdi.

Mehdi, the head of marketing and strategy for Microsoft’s Xbox business, told the LA Times that households spend 84 hours a month on Xbox Live gaming, watching videos and listening to music.

Over half that time is spent on music and videos, with the figure as a whole up 30% year-over-year in households where on average, 150 hours a month are spent watching television.

“What we’re seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment,” said Mehdi.

Over 20 million people have an Xbox Live subscription, and over 66 million Xbox 360s have been sold worldwide.

Today, the firm announced apps for HBO, MLB.tv, and Comcast would through system update on the console today.

1. Erthazus

XBOX future: Call of duty, Halo, no games, Angry Birds and fuckton of apps.

2. LOLshock94

thats a future i would love to see

3. Gekidami

So we actually have official word that the 360 is more of a super advanced cable box than a gaming console. Well, looking at its line up this year (and last year, and the year before for that matter), its hardly surprising.

4. ManuOtaku

Well i barely use those, i barely use my consoles for anything besides gaming, but i reckon i am a dying breed

5. OlderGamer

I haven’t played an actual game on my xb360 in ages. And even then, when I do use an app, we use the wifes system in the bedroom. We use it for netflix. I have been playing a lot of PC. Just kind of … bored of consoles.

I will get more into consoles when Nintendo launches their next system(I assume this fall/winter).

Till then bring on Diablo III, Tourchlight II, Guild Wars 2, the new Civ V xpac, MoP xpac and PSO2. Pretty much good with that.

6. absolutezero

I’ve been going back and picking up some old forgotten titles from the 360′s past.

I got the X-Men Origins Wolverine game this week, its a blast.

7. Da Man

Erthazus, better than ArmA and some mindfuckery for 26 year old students still fighting teenage issues, eh.

Butthurted for sake consolized me no speaky english. Mediocracy did wasn’t done. Me no proper grammer.