World vs World PvP in Guild Wars 2 looks like server-wide fun in this video

Tuesday, 27th March 2012 22:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Massively has posted a video showing off its time in World vs World PvP during the second press beta for Guild Wars 2. as you will see in the video below, all players taking part in the instanced battles will receive a level boot to 80, with the only differences between players being their gear and skillsets. Players will be assigned to one of three teams depending on their server, and the winning realm will receive a a server-wide bonus called Power of the Mists which grants a bonus to health, crafting and combat XP, and more. Check out the video below. Guild Wars 2 is out later this year.

1. Erthazus

Alterac Valley from WOW :D

2. GrimRita

Even in beta it slaps outdated SWTOR in the face. Look at the UI. Not even a clutter fest like SWTOR and no lag, like there was on broken Ilum.

Oh well Bioware what on earth will you do when this is released?!

3. Kalain

Why does that just not look fun? The way they described it made me think it was this wonderful, dynamic pvp system, but its just looks like another Zerg-fest.

Reminds me of my time in DAoC and the zerging to keeps.

My excitement for this game has decreased somewhat, now I’m hoping that this wasn’t representative of PvP when it’s released.

4. GrimRita

@3 its hard to judge until you actually play it yourself. I havent played Guild Wars and after the woeful SWTOR, will give this a whirl after hearing so many good things about it from friends who have played it during beta.

I like the idea of the rewards if you win one of these WvW pvp matches – a boost for everyone on the server. Nice bragging rights there lol

5. TheWulf

Because there are people fighting in a fantasy setting, it’s suddenly like WoW.

MOUNT & BLADE IS JUST LIKE ALTERAC VALLEY.

SKYRIM IS JUST LIKE ALTERAC VALLEY.

Sigh.

Observational skills are really lost on the young, aren’t they?

Not only that, but it helps cement player relationships between PvE players and PvP players – because it means that the PvE players want to support their guys.

This is a game that’s based almost entirely around player cooperation and camaraderie, with elements that encourage an atmosphere of misanthropy and sociopathy removed.

Things like resource nodes being instanced to the player instead of globally encourages gathering parties, dynamic events encourage players to work together in PvE, other players can resurrect you, and so on. It’s just very different.

One of the things I’ve come to hate about MMOs, WoW especially, is that they do encourage people to hate. People hate that guy for stealing their mob, they hate them for stealing their node, they hate them for being the other faction. And it just turns into this massive cesspool.

In PvE, that’s bad, because it means it turns into a massively singleplayer game where everyone else is a potential foe. It’s a horrible feeling.

But yeah, I mean, there’s player competition in PvP but on the PvE side of it they’re still trying to make people who play PvP look good, if you know what I mean. That fits their philosophy. It means that once someone comes out of PvP, if they got a buff, they’ll likely have people talking them up and congratulating them.

Remember UO’s PvE server? I do.

Those were the days… they really were.

I haven’t seen anything that’s tried to engender that same sense of player equality, cooperation, and camaraderie since. Guild Wars 2 is the first, this is why I’m so excited about it.

I love singleplayer games, I love coop games, I avoid MMOs because usually people treat you like shit for the reasons mentioned. Oh, you’re in the same area that some guy is gathering resources in. You get to a node before he does, you were clearly there first, but he goes off the deep end and calls you everything under the sun.

See… that’s the mental image I have of MMOs. WoW crafted that image carefully, and other games (like SWTOR) have done their damndest to create a den of iniquity and hate which rivals that.

So tired of it, really.

Is it too much to ask for a game that encourages people to get along, and punishes them for not doing so?

That’s what Guild Wars 2 is. The better you are at working with people, the more you’re willing to help some random guy out you see, the better the game will be for you.

Really, the WvWvW server bonus is just an artefact of that philosophy.

And I friggin’ love that philosophy.