Final BioShock Infinite heavy hitter introduced as Siren

Tuesday, 27th March 2012 13:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

2K’s gone live with the final video in its heavy hitters series for BioShock Infinite. The Siren has been introduced as the fourth and final member of that group. It can bring back foes you’ve faced before from the dead before taking you on again. As Ken Levine says in the video, the problem will be choosing between the enemies brought back by the Siren or the Siren itself. Get the video below.

The Irrational shooter launches on October 16 in the US and October 19 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. themadjock

Wow

2. DSB

I can’t remember the last time I was actually nervous about a new game like this.

I’m playing through Bioshock again and shit… It’s like trying to follow up Half-Life. It’s been four years and nothing comes close.

How do you pull that off?

3. OrbitMonkey

^ I actually thought Bioshock 2 was a nice follow up… Really enjoyed it. In terms of gameplay I’d say it was the stronger of the two. Yeah I said it!!

Obviously looking forward to this. Loving the change of scene. I think it’ll blow your socks off ;-)

4. DSB

@3 I picked it up on sale, but I’m just extremely opposed to playing it.

I just can’t imagine feeling anything but numb playing through it.

I can definitely see how the gameplay might be better. Easily the worst thing about Bioshock was the shooting. That seemed to be the one part they didn’t nurture. The shooting, respawning and the somewhat forced plot twist could’ve been better. But what a game.

Maybe I should give it a spin when I finish my playthrough though.

5. Maximum Payne

Singularity is like Bioshock rip-off but is not that bad you can find it cheap now.

6. DSB

@5 I think it’s pretty bad. I really like the idea of an alternate universe cold war, but the guns feel like toys, and the story is so contrived it hurts.

It’s mostly like Bioshock and Half-Life because it shamelessly steals from them along the way :P

7. TheWulf

It was the aesthetics and atmosphere that made BioShock work. The original BioShock was an artistic game, and this is why people feel that they may have trouble approaching a follow-up.

See, once you start to elevate a piece of consumer entertainment above that to echelons where one could begin to perceive it as art, you lose it as a piece of consumer entertainment, and it becomes less ripe for a sequel. It’s like, hey, let’s make a sequel to Pan’s Labyrinth or Day Watch.

One issue with the gaming industry is that there’s an almost fetishistic approach to sequels, where sequels are enshrined as magic money-makers.

But with a sequel to an event like BioShock, you have to be very careful. It could be really impressive, or it could be the biggest publisher-ruining failure of recent years. The main reason behind this is BioShock setting the bar so, so very high. It was a game that you could examine artistically, not just in the art assets itself, but in what it was saying about humanity. It was a clever little game.

Maybe too clever.

Now, we have this scrappy upstart – BioShock: Infinite. Can they do it?

Sometimes I feel like they’re on the right track, but sometimes I worry that they’re putting what works better as a game in front of what would work as a more artistic statement. Where I noticed this first was with the Handyman. They abandoned the more interesting design in favour of the one that would sit better with gamers. You know, ‘bald is badass’ and all that.

That worries me. I won’t lie. And the design of the reality-shifting lady who helps the protagonist, sometimes feels a little too much like it’s just eye-candy for sexually frustrated tweens. There was none of that in BioShock.

So am I worried?