Large Battlefield 3 patch releasing on PS3 March 27

Saturday, 24th March 2012 14:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE has announced a huge patch for Battlefield 3 is coming next week which includes a number of gameplay tweaks and balances along with “Rent a Server” functionality for the console versions. The patch notes are completely massive, and can be viewed in full over on the Battlefield Blog. The patch will be released on PS3 March 27, and information on the PC and Xbox 360 release date will be provided “soon”.

1. LOLshock94

who plays this sucky game

2. vogelkacke

sucky people apparently

3. freedoms_stain

“who plays this sucky game” Who is “who” and why should I care?

“who plays this sucky game?” about 210,000 right now at this very moment in time.

4. endgame

“who plays this sucky game” If that was a question.. I’ll respond to it. People who can actually think.

5. Unlimax

#1 “who plays this sucky game”
    I can’t find anything sucky more than your comment !

6. Dark

Well to be fair , most of FPS games are always sucky (except bioshock)

btw @5 your name look familiar have i seen you somewhere?

7. Erthazus

@1, someone who is not a noob and like playing good FPS games.

8. manamana

I heart his sucky game :D

9. Unlimax

#6 your name look familiar have i seen you everywhere? “trollface”
    lol .. say something i don’t mind if you see me somewhere .. but i would love to know if you know me personally in …. Whatever i am in ^^” !

10. DarkPyroZXA

this is AMAZING WOOOOOOOT, its about time this patch came out, BF3 FTW

11. OrbitMonkey

You can always judge a games greatness by its number of patches, that’s why Skyrim and Battlefield are regarded so highly!!

CoD has hardly any patches, ergo it’s rubbish!! Right? ;-)

12. DSB

@11 It (MW3) is rubbish for having poor level design, useless weapons and multiplying the G18 we all hated so much by three, if you ask me :P

I totally see your point though, and it’s a fair tease, but BF3 would’ve been a monster if they’d had time to finish and balance it. Instead they have to do it on our time.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Level design is a matter of opinion. I happen to like all of them. Usually, in every CoD, there’s a Bloc or an Estate that I hate playing, but I like playing on every single MW3 map so far.

I don’t think the weapons are useless, either… Whatever useless means…

MW3 is the best CoD so far IYAM. I went back to BO the other day, and I found myself feeling underwhelmed.

14. DSB

A lot of the weapons are just irrelevant.

Either they don’t do enough damage or they do the same damage as another rifle with too much kick to compete. I don’t see any reason to use an SMG beyond the UMP45. MW2 had the right idea by making three or four archetypes and then providing each one with minor tweaks. It meant that all weapons were useful. This time they got creative, and it’s a mess.

They pretty much made shotguns completely irrelevant by moving them to the primary slot. And where a big problem with MW2 was the fact that G18′s were far more effective than a shotgun, they’ve now added three different machinepistols with the same effect – Coupled with the narrow corridors in the new maps, it means people barely have to aim or look at what they’re shooting. It also means you’re shit out of luck in a duel.

G18s were a shitty part of MW2, but most maps were open enough to put distance between you and those guys.

The maps are now made from interlocking corridors, which in effect means that teams are going to be so spread out that the spawning system will often not work as intended. It’s a brilliant system and I can literally count the times I’ve been spawnkilled or done one myself in MW2, on one hand. But thanks to the map design of MW3, it becomes just as random as a lesser system.

To me it feels like a poorly lead production, as opposed to one that just didn’t have enough time.

Black Ops had some of the same flaws in my opinion. For me, a big part of making a competitive shooter is keeping it simple.

15. LOLshock94

mw3s biggest problem isnt the maps but the respawns, mw3 is super sucky thou

16. G1GAHURTZ

Hmmm… I’m not sure about the weapons not doing enough damage. Maybe you need to work on your aim and start going for the head instead of the feet. (j/k)

But seriously. I use the P90, and I have no need whatsoever to use an AR. Actually, pretty much the only AR that I use is the Type 95. And I only do that when I feel like messing around with a different weapon.

Maybe they’ve just made it more necessary to be more accurate (I’m not dissing your aiming skills) this time around…

Having said that, they’ve obviously nerfed the grenade launchers, which is definitely for the better.

As for shotguns, I don’t use them myself, but I’ve noticed that they’re more popular in S+D. Especially the striker. I’ve never really used them anyway, except maybe to complete challenges.

I don’t really have a problem with people using secondary weapons, either. Now that I think about it, one of the better things about MW3 is that there isn’t really a weapon (or perk) that everyone ‘nooberizes’ (new word).

It’s probably the most balanced FPS around IMO.

I agree that the spawning needs some work. It has improved hugely since release, but I managed to get two kills in one recent match because three of us spawned in exactly the same place at the same time, and I realised it before they did. This is very rare, though.

Again, I think that MW3 builds on MW2 and removes a lot of the really annoying things, like the frag/grenade spamming, the 10-meter knifing, and whatever else was really irritating about it that I can’t remember right now.

Plus, for me as a runner-gunner, not having to sprint around a huge map for ages before I can even find anyone makes it much easier to play.

17. DSB

@16 I’ll be the first to admit that my reflexes have gone rusty. There’s nothing like CoD when it comes to the core requirements. But that really only serves as a motivation for me.

The approach you’re suggesting doesn’t make any sense for a competitive shooter.

If you’re going to start making flamboyant recoils, then they have to be balanced across the arsenal. You can’t just cripple one weapon and not the other. Whether you’re aiming for the head or not, you’re not going to get the shots off that you need unless the balance and damage lines up relative to what the other guy has.

You’re never going to get 100% balance, but the beauty of MW2 for me was that I was absolutely lethal (almost) no matter what I used. This time around it’s obviously far less thought through.

I don’t know how you’re missing them, but I’m seeing lots of twats who use nothing but machinepistols, and they seem to multiply on the maps that do little more than accomodate them. Grenades have been nerfed and commando has been taken out (never had a problem with it) and that’s alright, but neither of those were anywhere near the nuissance of the G18s in the previous game.

Instead of keeping it sporty they’ve narrowed down your choices, played to the lowest common denominator, and really, there are lots of shooters out there trying to be that game.

18. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure if you could say that the weapons have been crippled… They just have to be used in the right way.

Don’t forget that there are now loads more ways to customise weapons. You can use kick proficiency to reduce recoil, or add a suppressor, or both. There’s also steady aim.

On top of that, there are the standard methods, like burst firing and shooting crouched/prone.

It all depends on how you play.

If you’re finding it difficult playing the way that you want to play with any particular loadout, then I find that tweaking it and trying new things usually makes a big difference (both better and worse) until I finally manage to get something I’m happier with.

Sometimes I might go months with the same loadout, then change it and never use the old one again.

As for the machine pistols, then it could be a difference in ‘cultures’ between console and PC.

I’ve played quite a few hours on both PS3 and 360, and while they were more popular at release (until they got nerfed in an update) I can’t say that too many people use machine pistols now.

I have the MP9 as my secondary, but I hardly use it.

19. DSB

Fair points, I think they went a bit overboard with the weapon levelling, that kinda turns me off. I don’t mind tweaking, but it’s a meta-level that just isn’t neccesary.

Half the time I don’t know what I’m being rewarded for when the numbers pop up on the screen, and of course some of that is lack of familiarization, but they really have added a ton of shit to pop up on that screen since last time.

Maybe I should dive in further and see what I get, but it’s safe to say that MP’s are still very popular on the PC, with devastating effect. It just makes the lobby a lot less enjoyable for the rest of the guys.

Even if they were nerfed, it’s a fundamentally out of touch design decision. Same as getting rid of the shotguns. The shotguns made sense and they were always a lot more fun to use. You could usually tell a lot about a player from whether he went with G18′s or even which shotgun he preferred.

In my opinion the series is number one because it’s competitive, demanding and it speaks to people who want to go head to head. That also requires a far higher level of fine tuning than anything else.