This is Living: PlayStation 3 turns five in Europe

Friday, 23rd March 2012 10:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Celebrate the big fat box in its majesty: PlayStation 3 is celebrating its fifth birthday in Europe today.

SCE UK PR manager Hugo Bustillos noted the milestone in a tweet.

The console launched in the mainland and the UK on Friday, March 23, 2007 for £425/€599 . It was due to release the same day as the US, but the European launch was delayed in September 2006 due to a delay in shipping components.

The launch line-up include debuts for what are establish IPs, including Motorstorm and Resistance, as well as third-party titles like Call of Duty 3, Virtua Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7.

Since then, other massive titles coming from the European arm of Sony’s Worldwide Studios and its partners include Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2 and 3 and more.

Happy birthday, PS3!

1. KAP

I bought my PS3 the week GTA4 came out so you can say I came into the fray a little late with all things considered.

I have to say with all the kinda backlash Sony got/get, I do really like my PS3. Its come a long way in all aspects I think.

But one thing everyone needs to give PS3 props for is the fact that for the last 3 years its not been beaten as far as software is concerned. Its been awarded numerous software of the year awards hands down which is greatly deserved I think.

Personally I don’t think we need a PS4 any time soon.

Happy birthday Playstation 3 *hugs his PS3 slim while Mass Effect 3 disc is spinning inside*

2. loveaya

Happy Birthday, PS3!

Bon courage, PSV!

3. Johnny Cullen

Got my fat PS3 at launch with Resistance, Motorstorm and F1, as well as GT:HD and a Talladega Nights Blu-ray.

Had to swap it for a refurb in mid-2009, but still a realiable piece of kit. Was starting to go out, though, so got a Slim the day of the ApocalyPS3 (talk about funny timing). Other than that, love my triple.

Happy birthday, you brilliant thing, you.

4. KAP

Yea, I also swapped my 40Gb for a slim when Uncharted 2 had a bundle deal. got a 250Gb and still have it to this very day.

The one thing I use it for other then play games of course is stream all my films and TV shows from my PC to my PS3. Its ace.

5. daytripper

happy birthday

6. OlderGamer

I have a fully bc fatty, still going strong. It is our second PS3, and that is several pieces of hardwere lower then a certian system which will remane nameless.

Good system PS3. And unlike some, I can’t wait for PS4.

7. LOLshock94

for me the ps3 is the worst console out of the lot, and ive played almost all of the exclusives and the only good exclusives were killzone 2 and 3 the rest were sucky

8. ManuOtaku

I have two ps3 one fat 60 gb at launch, which i didnt update in order to keep the other OS feature, and a slim 120 GB, and having those two, i can only say in my opinion is that sony drop a lot of features during the years with the ps3 hardware iterations (backwards ps2 tittles/ other OS), therefore instead of improving the hardware they dowgraded it,which is a no-no in my eyes as a consumer, but dont get me wrong i like my ps3 as much as the 360 and wii for that matter, although latetly i dont play too much on it, but i think i will start playing a little bit more, i did purchase fat princess recently so i will be busy with this game and asuras warth for the second time.

9. daytripper

i want a vita :)

10. K-V-C

i won a xbox 360 two weeks before i bought ps3 day one it came out !!! im on my 3rd xbox due to break downs microsoft replaced them all for me free of charge but im still on my first ps3 which is awesomee lol !!!! thanks sony for the good years iv had with the ps3

11. Dragon246

Sony definitely removed some hardware features but it was necessary to lower the price. In my opinion the best console of 7th generation in terms of both hardware and software. Hope ps4 is not released for at least 3-4 years so that we can enjoy ps3 a bit longer.
    But I sure hope sony does something groundbreaking with ps4 as it did with ps3.

12. speedxl01

Yep Happy 5!

I own the ps3 since launch, First I got the 60gb fullbackwards compatible one , then I bought another, the 80Gb one, as it was more silent, and lastly the 160Gb Slim, I have the 3 in full working condition, And I stream a lot of music and videos from my PC too, (pms media server)

I have the slim in my TV room connected with a home theater and a 3D 55″ TV, the sound and video quality is excellent, I love the multimedia functions of the PS3.