Juan Carlos Fresnadillo no longer slated to direct BioShock film

Friday, 23 March 2012 19:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It looks as though another blow has been dealt a film adaptation of BioShock, as Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has stepped down as its director, according to a report on Indie Wire.

Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) became the director after Gore Verbinski moved on to another project. Verbinski was announced as the films director back in 2008 when it was revealed a movie was being planned around the 2K franchise.

“To be honest, by now, I’m completely out of that, and developing other stuff,” Fresnadillo told the site at a press event for his film Intruders. “Right now it’s on hold. The studio and the video game company, they have to reach some kind of agreement about the budget and the rating.”

Ken Levine has said previously there was no “burning desire” to have the film made, “just to get it made.”

“For us and for Take-Two, it’s really got to be something that will give the fans something that they want, and, for those who don’t know BioShock, really introduce them to something that is consistent with the game,” he said.

Fresnadillo’s next project is presumably a new installment in the Highlander series, but he is staying slightly mum about it at present.

Latest