Sitting comfortably? Guild Wars 2′s lore boss on story

Thursday, 22nd March 2012 16:00 GMT By Staff

Guild Wars 2 is attempting to revolutionise story in MMOs by offering non-cosmetic choices and a personal touch to a genre filled with cookie-cutter options. We speak with Ree Soesbee, ArenaNet’s lore and continuity designer, on how this new-found sense of freedom ties into the biggest MMO release of the year.

“I don’t think that story and gameplay are in any way harmful to one another; a player should expect – and receive – high quality in both aspects. That’s what makes a game exemplary, and that is exactly what we aspire to create with Guild Wars 2.”

Guild Wars 2 diverges from typical, monolithic story lines inherent in the majority of MMOs by using character-exclusive arcs. The intention is to provide the player with more of a sandbox environment, all based around a questionnaire filled out during character creation.

Player choices will matter during play, impacting the world around the character and allowing for a more personal, tailored experience. This was no easy task, as instanced and persistent areas had to not only adhere to player choice and biography, but remain connected to the core storyline without detrimental effects to gameplay.

How did the team manage it? Ree Soesbee, ArenaNet’s lore and continuity designer, explained.

VG247: What are the challenges of making the game inclusive to everyone while allowing it to feel like the player’s own personal RPG? Surely this is difficult to do in an MMO, given the amount of people involved.

Ree Soesbee: There’s no real way to allow a character the width of freedom available in RPG character creation, but we wanted to try to replicate that experience as much as possible. We wanted to allow players a great deal of latitude to define their characters. From that idea, we created the Biography system, which asks a player questions about their character’s history as they create the PC’s race, class, and appearance. We then use those answers in the game. Primarily, they give the player access to storylines that revolve around those background choices; secondarily, these answers change conversations and interactions with NPCs throughout the world.

One of the largest difficulties in this kind of story creation comes in trying to give the player the freedom to choose different outcomes, without overburdening the story team that has to design, spawn, and write each of those outcomes and how they interact continually from that point. Where a player might see three questions with three answers each, the story team is writing not nine but something closer to twenty-four (or more) results, based on the interaction of those answers. Add to that the fact that there are five races, each with that many questions; and that the races join together into a world-story with new questions, as well as more twists and options based on the original set. We try to bring out those choices as often as possible, in order to make a player’s experience unique and based on how they’ve designed the character – but that’s a lot of work!

Keeping those variables in mind when designing an overarching story is also difficult; we want the world story to make sense no matter what choices a player made for their character, but we also want it to follow a certain general path. Trying to remember how each branch arrived at the next story point requires a great deal of organization.

How will personal stories intertwine with the overall story while not succumbing to traditional MMO trapping of linearity?

All stories have an element of linear play; you begin at the beginning, and hopefully, there is a satisfying and climactic end. Our hope with Guild Wars 2 was to create that linear story more as a rope of intertwined threads, where many different smaller stories made up the larger, epic narrative of the world. As each player is one individual within the larger, constantly-evolving world, so too is their character’s story one aspect, or one viewpoint, within the grander whole.

Because no story should last forever, we gave the storylines in Guild Wars 2 breadth, rather than length. Once you’ve played through the overall story, you can go back and make a new character, with new background choices and in-game choices, and experience Tyria’s struggle against the dragon, Zhaitan, from an entirely different viewpoint. A player can also help others, and see portions of other stories by assisting with a friend’s storyline chains.

Will different personal stories and options come into play as the game advances, or are the story choices largely cosmetic?

ArenaNet’s Ree Soesbee.

The choices that a player makes for their character, especially at creation, are more than cosmetic. They define the character’s history and personality, and they outline the initial storylines that the player will experience with that character. After that, the choices made in-game by the player (such as joining one of the three Orders of Tyria – the Vigil, the Durmand Priory, and the Order of Whispers) change the ongoing experience. By choosing an order, the character chooses to experience that perspective in the world story, and so on, through myriad different variations.

Also, within each individual smaller story piece, a player has internal choices that affect the outcome of that smaller tale. For example, a norn player is character is asked at creation to decide if the most important virtue of a norn is cunning, instinct or strength. Each of those answers defines a storyline, and within that storyline are choices. A norn who chooses strength has the option in fighting their enemy; whether to assist in forging a powerful new weapon, or to summon the power of a Spirit of the Wild to increase their ability. Those two options give the player different objectives, different methods (and stories related to overcoming those objectives), as well as a different type of gameplay when they do face down their enemy in that storyline – with whichever advantage they chose to obtain.

Later in the character’s gameplay, NPCs in the storylines (or in the overall world) may refer back to the player’s experiences, congratulating them on their victory, or offering them information based entirely on the options they chose in a past storyline, Biography, or as part of their order.

Will NPCs react to the player differently based on personality choices made in the biography section?

Yes, although this will happen primarily within a character’s personal story or home instance. A player will also find NPCs in the main world (such as members of your chosen order) who references the player’s choices, both those made in the Biography and during the game.

How many story combinations are there?

What sort of impact has opening up story choices to the player had on lore in general?

None in particular; the lore of the game has remained constant. Both in storyline areas and in the overall world, players have many opportunities to interact with NPCs, learn about the history of Tyria, and discover what’s happening with the world story and the dragons.

Large events in the overall storyline, major battles and other significant twists in the fight against Zhaitan, are experienced by all combinations of a player’s possible story. We made this choice deliberately, ranking those story moments as separate from a player’s internal story; meaning, no matter whether a player has chosen to fight Zhaitan because the dragon’s minions killed your family, or destroyed a friendly village, or destroyed something important to your heritage, all player characters are present at a certain major battle within the storyline.

An individual character’s motivations and goals during that major battle may be different, according to their story choices, but the location and occurrence of that epic “world moment” happens for all characters in the game. In that way, the numerous ‘story threads’ conjoin, and then separate again, after that “moment” in the overall play of Guild Wars 2.

There seems to be a great push to imbue MMOs with story at the moment. You clearly think this really is the way forward for online RPGs, but isn’t there a risk of core gameplay principals being ignored in favour of plot? Doesn’t it ever concern you that the entire narrative angle may be a red herring for the progression of the genre?

Not at all. I don’t think that story and gameplay are in any way harmful to one another; a player should expect – and receive – high quality in both aspects. That’s what makes a game exemplary, and that is exactly what we aspire to create with Guild Wars 2.

People play games like Guild Wars 2 for many different reasons. Some want competitive PVP, while others want an immersive story. Some are interested in strategic combat, others want to explore and discover beautiful or hard-to-find places in a huge game world. With each generation of MMOs, all of these aspects are advanced, and the genre becomes more immersive and more fun. I think that if we concentrate on only one aspect, we do our games – and our players – a tremendous disservice. Gaming technology is progressing at a massive pace, and on the whole gaming audiences are more interested in complex, interesting storylines.

ArenaNet has a wonderful advantage in that both our writing team and our design teams are talented and inventive people. We work in an iterative process, so that our story and our skills interact to make Guild Wars 2 a tremendous game. We think our players deserve nothing less.

1. viralshag

This would sound great and really original… If I hadn’t played it 3 months ago in SWTOR.

2. Laaveem

The difference is that in SWTOR, the personal story is useless. You can choose any friggin’ answer and it won’t make a difference in the story itself. In GW2, choices you make affect your storyline. That’s the difference between a true RPG and a film where you just choose what the main character will say.

3. Viralblack

Comparing SWTOR and GW2 is like comparing a Prius to Nascar. They may both have steering wheels but are completely in different leagues. (GW2 being the advanced of the two)

4. viralshag

Calm down 2 and 3, I was just poking some fun at GW2.

But in response to your comments, #2, what they describe above sounds almost IDENTICAL to how story progression is in TOR.

#3, Unless you have played the full game I don’t even know how you can come to that conclusion.

5. Laaveem

First of all, what makes you think i’m not calm? I didn’t use exlamation marks or caps lock, which means my statements were supposed to be read in a “normal” colloquial tone. Secondly, in the article is written:

“Where a player might see three questions with three answers each, the story team is writing not nine but something closer to twenty-four (or more) results, based on the interaction of those answers.”

And again:

“From level 1-10, there are approximately 30 different storylines; those are based on character race, Biography and pre-game background choices. Continue that in tens through 80 levels; then add in the various different combinations based on internal story choices, choosing an order, and continued in-game Biography questions, and you can see that the aggregate numbers somewhere in the upper thousands.”

What happens in SWTOR? You speak with a character, he speaks to you. Then you choose between 2 or 3 different answers. What changes between those? Just the way your character answers to them. Because when you kill an NPC or spare his life in SWTOR… nothing changes. Which makes this game more like an interactive film.

In GW2, when you make decisions, it affects your story line massively. There’s not a single path, but -as stated in the interview- hundreds of them. Now, this is what I expect form an RPG.

PS: I’d like to let everyone reading this comment, that i’m not angry or altered in any way. Read it with a normal voice tone. Thanks for your understanding.

6. GageCornelius

I also want to add, that your story in SWTOR changes very little. There are times where you can gain an ally or an enemy, but outside of those moments, there is little change. Every Sith Initiate has the same storyline 1-10 and 11-20, whereas in GW2 the major stories are different based on race first, and then 1/3 questions. Your friend may be a human, but could’ve answered something differently and gotten a completely different storyline, or could have had the same answer and share the same storyline regardless of class. Do the research, it’s only all over the internet.

7. TheWulf

I’m just going to add in that I’m a massive fan of Ree.

One of the things that sold GW2 to me was her passion for it as a writer. I’m an artistic type, so that speaks to me. If you hadn’t noticed that about me yet, then you really haven’t been paying attention. I really enjoy art, philosophy, and good writing being rolled into games and I’m more than happy to see people take pride in what they do.

Not only that, but Ree is a pretty great writer. She did the short stories for a number of the race week articles, the most seminal of which was… well, it was an absolutely beautiful piece about Charr lovers. And just how much they feel they have to sacrifice just to survive (survival is everything to the Charr – on the battlefield the soldier you can likely count on to remain standing at the end of it is a Charr, but this comes at a high price).

Anyway, that mild segue aside, Ree is an impressive writer and visionary. I respect her. It’s always nice to read her opinions because, again, she really is clearly passionate about what she does.

8. absolutezero

Oh hay its Ree that female writer that has never been attacked by the internet despite being female and working in games.

Wonders never cease.

9. DSB

@8 Has Corinne Yu ever been attacked? Personally, that’s the only videogame honey I care to recognize.

10. TheWulf

So you have trouble recognising women in the field of videogames?

Okay then.

I don’t have that problem. Corinne Yu is also awesome.

11. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Agreed. Ree is awesome.

12. DSB

@10 Yup, I have serious trouble recognizing women for being women. I really couldn’t care less whether a professional has tits or not.

Women are common as dirt. I don’t see any need to roll out the pedestal whenever one of them lands a job.

It’s a bit like metal, that way. There are lots of retarded bands out there who think hiring a female choir singer to do their vocals makes them awesome and unique, but really all it does is make them cheap and ordinary.

I respect the women who have the balls to actually keep up. Actual merit, as opposed to simply owning a pussy.

That’s also the reason why Stephany Nunneley rocks. And Girlschool, Acid, Holy Moses, Chastain and Hellion, for that matter.

13. Stephany Nunneley

@12 I’m no Doro Pesch but thanks! You honestly, just made my day. :) xoxox

14. DSB

@13 Dammit, I forgot Warlock didn’t I?

You’re welcome ma’am, keep bringing the funny!

15. viralshag

@5, I was actually saying calm down because two people jumped straight on the defensive over a little comment.

I still don’t think this interview really sets it that far apart from TOR, if I’m honest. And I will happily accept I’m wrong when I actually play the game and it hopefully get proven wrong. Until that time, I need more than just the devs word on how varied and unique it is, considering we hear the same stuff about almost every MMO.

But to me, this sounds a lot like TOR, just with a larger quantity of lines. And I’m a believer that quantity doesn’t make up for quality. As I said though, I will happily accept I’m wrong once I play the game. (That is, if I’m wrong.)

16. GageCornelius

@15: Go look at videos on youtube. The Media Event about a month ago has plenty of gameplay on it. Go look at some of the different people playing the same race. It’ll help.

17. DSB

@15 I’m pretty sure expecting the second coming of the MMO is going to be just as disappointing with Guild Wars 2 as it may have been with SWTOR.

It does seem like they’re going to do a lot to really tweak the formula though, especially in the areas where SWTOR was lacking.

I haven’t played SWTOR, but based on the feedback, it sounds to me like a highly scripted MMO with loads more dialogue than WoW will ever have, but virtually the same on offer. In this case it looks to me like they’re looking at the gameplay, which is where you’re better off placing the attention in my opinion.

That’s a pretty good series of articles based on the beta. I think it balances the high expectations with what’s actually on offer quite well.

18. viralshag

@16, Thanks. I’ll have a look for it. I haven’t had much time to check out all I wanted on it to be honest. I was hoping for a beta invite to get a taste of where it’s at.

@DSB, Cheers, that was an interesting read. I really do hope the game is good. It should be on all accounts but I just feel MMOs are always going to be a short-lived flavour of the month type thing.

19. Lordnekroseth

A lot of gamers try to compare SwTor-s story based gameplay to Gw2-s. But a lot of players dont know that SwTor didnt decide to go trough that part till Gw2 announced and introduced what they are up to. Since then mmos are ripping of the base idea with half sucsesses. Other companies dont understand the whole concept of this, only parts. No wonder they wont be sucsessfull

Ree you also mention, that a new gen. has not only an improved and well made story line(s) (witch mmo-s lacked so faar) , but also a well made gameplay, system and mechanic. I agree on that, but i think you missed another REALLY important part ! It must also improve the part where you play with others. Since the whole point of playing mmo-s is supposed to be playing with others. Sadly i didnt feel playing with others any fun since Everquest 1. Trough i have no worries, Gw2 is showing a great deal of improvement on that side to. Good to see, you guys investigated, what is lacking in other games in the era. I see a miracle in progress.

20. Lordnekroseth

I might also add, that a sucsess in beeing a good rpg dephends a lot on how the world is. A real good fantasy world is a half sucsess alredy.

Actually i was missing a good rpg since Baldurs Gate, but Gw gave me hope. Nothing can bring back the good old paper and dice games, but atleast this can give back the feeling.