Resident Evil producer: Core series needs to pursue action, shooter trappings

Thursday, 22nd March 2012 22:34 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom’s Masachika Kawata has said the core, numbered Resident Evil series is likely to keep up the shooter action bent, because there isn’t enough demand for old school survival horror.

“RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction and I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further,” the Resident Evil: Revelations producer told Gamasutra.

“Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games] the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell. A ‘survival horror’ Resident Evil doesn’t seem like it’d be able to sell those kind of numbers.”

That said, Kawata doesn’t expect Resident Evil to end up a cookie cutter shooter.

“I can’t really speak for Resident Evil 6, but I don’t think that it necessarily has to go all the way in that direction, the Call of Duty direction. It doesn’t have to be a straight up shooter,” he said.

In the meantime, with its smaller projects, Capcom can speak to the survival horror fan.

“And that’s exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is,” Kawata said.

“So we have our numbered series, and we can say we have a more adventure-oriented version, like a Revelations-style game. And we also have Operation: Raccoon City, which is a third-person shooter.

“So I think that by extending the market in this sense, we can still have the numbered titles keep their identity about what Resident Evil is supposed to be, but still expand and hit other markets as well.”

Resident Evil 6 is expected in November. Resident Evil: Revelations is out now for 3DS.

1. Edo

Too bad.

2. SplatteredHouse

AGHHHHHHHH! *rocks* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! that is all.

I…don’t. Which was the last quality survival horror game for the same platforms RE6 will be on, let alone a Resident Evil one that Mr. Kawata was involved in, to be able to make bold, sweeping completely defeatist statements like that – especially, given that the landscape has fundamentally altered in how and where games are sold, since then! They just don’t get it.

3. absolutezero

Its a perfectly fair point to make. Ill be hugely interested in seeing the sales figures for Silent Hill Downpour.

I know Siren Blood Curse never set the World alight even though it should have.

Survival Horror was always a niche, but it was a niche supported by one of the best communities around, it was a niche that supported alot of games the previous generation. Sure they never sold in the same numbers as shooting game or sports game, but the thing is no one ever really expected them to.

Now it seems to be mandatory to chase after Call of Duty, like the sales numbers for CoD have shown whats obtainable at the highest point of the market and now every game ever made needs to at least obtain that or be classed as a failure.

Whats worse is that there are now two handhelds that can support full games like what the PS2 used to excel at, so why are there no full Survival Horror titles on them?

Why was Fatal Frame 4 banished to languish in Japan?

NERRRUGGGARRRRGHGHGHG

4. triggerhappy

@ absolutezero: Good comment man, i was thinking something similar. We need more REAL survival horror. Konami have actually showen some balls with SH:D, they’ve made a game thats all about the slower pace and actually surviving horror.. Now ive not played it but ive read alot of reviews official and unofficial… i am definitely not put off by ign’s 4.5, they just don’t understand it, but what do you expect from the people who give top marks to cod every year.

It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of sales it does. Fair enough not going to be cod like money but it should be enough to support it. General word is that it is a good Silent Hill and there are still enough fans of the series out there that will put down the money for it, including me when pay day comes round.

5. xxJPRACERxx

RE would have less competition if it was returning to its root, a true survival horror game. Sure action games are popular but there’s so many of them your title must really stand out from the crowd to have good sales and even then, nothing’s sure.

6. triggerhappy

@ xxJPRACERxx: Exactly, would it really cost that much these days to do a completely old school resident evil… im talking pre-drawn backgrounds, fixed camera angles, the lot. Make it a downloadable title only. I think it would surprise them just how much it could turn over.

But basically what capcom are saying here is “yeh, we want the money”. They have kinda gave a huge twos up to the original fanbase… they want kids pocket money, birthdays and xmas money.

7. Phoenixblight

You can do that with the originals. Fixed cameras are in the past.

8. SplatteredHouse

“Despite the determinations brought about by Capcom’s market data, Kawata said, “If you’re going to be selling a game based on its good gameplay, then you don’t have to worry about the market in which it will be sold.”

From the same article. he’s directly contradicting himself. Because he’s saying that were one to make a good game, then it would be accepted and appreciated like that, as long as the marketing was adjusted to tailor it to appear appealing to the market.
    The Japanese attempts to embrace the west, has resulted in very hit and miss results. Yet, RE6 is being thrust in a similar direction.

@6: great idea.

It’s disheartening the sacrifices I’m seeing taking place in gaming, the painful stretches that are trying to be pulled off.

9. triggerhappy

@ Phoenixblight: In a sense your right… but it does add to the whole over-all experience.. you fear what you cannot see, especially if you can hear it coming towards you :P Im surprised just how much i still enjoy playing the originals, especially the modernish gamecube ones REMake & Zero, in my opinion that would make an excellent HD collection.

Anyway, reading this article actually depresses me. Resident Evil will never again embrace it’s roots, and to be honest everytime a new one is announced THAT is the only thing i wish it would really do :(

10. Phoenixblight

I can’t play those games anymore with the controls where its fixed camera angles and control of the character is based on the world and not of the character. If Capcom wants to stay with the action then they should look at Dead Space or RE4 those games were a perfect balance of action and survivor horror. I am hoping that RE6 will be similar to those. RE5 was too much like Gears of War with zombies.

11. SplatteredHouse

@7: Fixed camera = no control, impression of alien world. To add to what trigger said most recently. It may seem outdated, but as a presentation tool maybe it offers a lot of possibilities. I played DS2 before, and the opening of that features narrow corridors and things can attack from unexpected places. My character is trapped without use of the arms, and the lights are flashing, sirens wailing – it’s almost an anti-RE, but it was seriously effective to put me in the position of Isaac.

12. Phoenixblight

Yeah that scene had constrained camera angles too in those dramatic scenes I am all for them but as for the entire game I am against it.

13. absolutezero

eh fixed camera angles are’nt really needed to be honest, mainly its just RE that used them. SH managed to be far more terrifying and it only had a few select fixed camera angles in specifically choosen places to dis-orientate.

An updated Haunting Ground released as a downloadable? Yes I like that idea very much. Reboot Rule of Rose keeping everything good but scrapping everything broken ala Blood Curse. Now that would be spoiling me.

Dead Space rankles when its mentioned as being a SH, its really not at no point did I feel vulnerable in either of the games, it works really fucking well as an action horror games though. Blasting, stomping, armour changing and upgrading. The moments when it does actually try to instill fear results in jump scares and little else. Thats another subject though.

Horror is welcome but there are some pretty large differences between the two genres. I guess survival horror is just seen as being far too hard and difficult to pull off in the current climate to bother with.

14. SplatteredHouse

Well, I used a very specific example here of DS2, where there was no access to weapons, just a disoriented man with bound hands running for his life. Very much survival horror, a brilliant pocket of it, (used as a modern example of doing SH well) but after that the play is different. You give further examples of interesting ideas, though.

“its really not at no point did I feel vulnerable in either of the games”
    True. Isaac is empowered, but is he also not vulnerable, despite appearance, because the monsters can make quick work of him…SH an awkward fit for dead space though.

15. Stardog

RE4+ are truly shit games.

I wish they’d just change the name of series instead of ruining what came before it. It could be called Resident Evil Whatever 2/3/4, etc.

16. OrbitMonkey

So reading between the lines…. It’s North America’s fault?

” YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!”

17. FeaturePreacher

I for one applaud the actions taken by Capcom. Don’t let people who will get the game anyway, lead you down a path of financial ruin.

18. SplatteredHouse

In trying to compare something like Amnesia to RE6, it should also be correct to consider what effect a major publisher marketing budget (of the level that you can put an advert on television to encourage people to watch an advert on Youtube) has on the comparison, to totally skew it.

The games that don’t have that marketing focus are unlikely to reach the kind of numbers Capcom say they are shooting for. But, if the Amnesia (or name of SH of choice) did have that level of support, with a more even playing field, how much bigger could they get?

19. Stephany Nunneley

Sigh. I liked RE4. It scared me – I mean, who else got the “oh shit” feeling in the pit of their stomach when some deranged maniac points at you and yelled something at you in a language you couldn’t understand? Granted, it wasn’t the “same” as previous games in the series, but I still liked it. RE5? Not so much. I put the controller down around the 2.5 hour mark and never picked it back up. If I want to shoot zombies for the sake of it, I’ll play L4D2. If I want to have to change my pants or use a defibrillator, I’ll dig out the GameCube and toss in the revamp of RE1.

20. DSB

It wasn’t that scary, but it was a good game.

I’d go for Condemned for scary. Knife and club fights with junkies in the dark. I guess if you’re from New York or Berlin it’s pretty ordinary. Still haven’t bothered to play Amnesia.

Undying was a great horror game back in the day too. Scared me quite a bit at the time :P

“Looooooooooooook….”

21. Stephany Nunneley

@20 Can’t believe I forgot about Condemned. Yeah, that scared me as well. That was good game.

22. back_up