Ys: The Oath in Felghana tops Steam charts

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 00:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

XSEED’s PC localisation of an updated classic is going great guns.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana released on Steam on March 19 and is currently the digital distribution service’s best selling title.

It doesn’t look like anybody’s had time to play it yet, though – at time of writing, it’s not even in the top 100 of the activity chart.

Nevertheless, the solid result must be gratifying for XSEED, a smaller company devoted to delivering much-requested Japanese localisations; The Oath in Felghana is its first release through Steam.

The Oath in Felghana is a 2005 update of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, which first debuted in 1989.

The 3D re-imagining has been quite popular, porting to PSP in 2010. The handheld version made it to the US and Europe several months later.

Although it has only been patchily localised, the Ys series is a big deal in Japan, with dozens of games and a sprawling cross-media cosmos. Ys Origin, a prequel, is XSEED’s next planned PC release.

1. Moonwalker1982

Great news, hopefully this mean we’ll get more JRPG’s outside of japan. Such a shame how many great JRPGs just never make it to us. There are several JRPGs in the making for PS Vita, but nothing is certain if we’ll get them too, sigh.

2. TheWulf

Ys game?

Steam?!

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

Excuse me for a moment.

3. TheWulf

Oh, also…

Yes, I lament it too… I mean, I remember a time when we had these wildly creative, nutty Japanese games as the norm. Colourful, bold, not afraid to try anything.

I miss them. I miss them dearly.

4. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man. It’s always cool to see when another JRPG is about to come out, at the same time its saddening cause there’s absolutely no guarantee we will ever see that game as well. Let’s just embrace the great ones that we do get though.

I’ve been hooked on Tales of Vesperia lately, and i’ll make sure to buy Tales of Graces F too, so the chance of Tales of Xillia coming to us will be bigger as well. As for Ys, i got Ys Seven on my Vita, great game. There’s also one in the making solely for the Vita, please….let us have that one too.

5. Dragon246

I am done! Looks like the only way now to play all the good JRPGs is to learn Japanese.
    Starting lessons form today…….. maybe tomorrow.
    I really hope good Jrpgs make their way to vita . They were dead on arrival on PSP (Eg. Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 and VC2 on psp). I hope FF Type 0 and VC3 get released on vita soon.