Terrorists using CoD to plan for attacks, says The Sun

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 08:53 GMT By Johnny Cullen

MCV‘s reporting that UK daily The Sun’s front page this morning is claiming terrorists are using Call of Duty as an aid to help prepare for upcoming attacks.

As well as CoD, Halo and Medal of Honor are also mentioned in the paper as examples.

“Islamic extremists know cops monitor phone calls, emails and online messages,” it said. “So they are turning to PlayStation and Xbox games to keep their deadly plans secret.

“Gamers can log on in groups to play against each other and — crucially — to chat in private. Once signed in to a ‘lobby’ using a password, plotters put on Bluetooth headsets and speak securely to conspirators on the same site.”

A source for the paper said: “They are logging into group games over the internet and discussing terror plots. Security people know about it. For millions who love these games this will be a huge shock.”

Mummy, I’m scared.

1. aseddon130

*clears throat*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Are you really having a laugh???

2. mongbatstar

Long respawn timer in real life though.

3. Maximum Payne

And msn have option to draw something and send like a normal text but you can draw sicret codes :D
    I hope they bring their tactical insertion they are going to needed.

4. Patrick Garratt

Do they play Nuketown for 20 hours a day? They’d be deadly after a bit of that.

5. The_Red

Holy moly, this made my day. Thanks Sun. I hadn’t laughed like this since the last Sun article.

6. STEGUINO

its the sun, burn in hell sun.

7. alterecho

If they’re using COD to plan terrorist attacks then… all can rest easy :)

8. Gekidami

Actually, the story is more about terrorists using the chat system in games to speak to each other securely more than anything else, which is actually quite plausible seeing as -to my knowledge- in-game chat isnt monitored or kept on record anywhere, especially in private games.

I dont know what The Sun actually says, but going off MCV this is hardly impossible, actually its very likely, any form of communication is going to get used for good and bad, and video games is a form of communication, after all.

9. Debabrata Nath

They should be using Counter Strike as an aid not Call of Duty. No really.

10. GrimRita

If its in the sun, then it *must* be true ;)

11. Froseidon

Idiots. The lot of ‘em. Haha, where do they pull this shit from? :L It so obvious this the reason I don’t read red top papers.

Although I do believe that the chat is secure, but still…

12. G1GAHURTZ

What’s this? Terrorists using CoD?

Better not tell EA, or the next BF3 expansion will probably have ‘improved security on squad chat for wannabe terrorist groups‘.

13. endgame

“Terrorists using CoD to plan for attacks, says The Sun” Aaah, so that’s why they suck at it. ;)

14. BraveLilCrumpet

“The terrorists choose incredibly realistic “first person games” where the controller works through a complex simulation of war scenarios, carrying out missions and battling enemy fighters.”

First time I’ve heard of CoD being described as “Incredibly realistic” last time I played it takes nearly a full round to kill someone…then again my aiming is usually crap.

“Gamers choose different styles of play and missions — from planting bombs to fighting one-on-one.”

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the terrorists usually opt to be the bomb instead of planting one?

The entire article is here if anyone wants to destory a few brain cels:

All I can say is God help us if they get their hands on BF3. You learn how to drive tanks in that one!

15. Maximum Payne

@14 ‘You learn how to drive tanks in that one!”
    Hahaha that made my day.
    There is even seats for other be with you !

16. bo_7md

Payed Ad. It’s the same thing that Dead island did negative publicity is great in this day and age. Look at Rapelay the japanese game that made front page in western media and people ended up buying it just to see what the fuss is about.

17. LOLshock94

^for all those that love charlie brooker i highly recommend

am i the only one that thinks maybe its true what they are saying about people using the chat?

18. xxJPRACERxx

When I read the title I laugh but when I read they’re also using Halo then I stopped laughing. This is serious shit!

19. DrDamn

Chat may be private to an extent but if one person gets caught then there are links to all the others in there somewhere. They may not have a record of what was said but they would have tracking of who was talking, IP addresses etc. Not that secure when you start unravelling it.

20. DSB

Using entertainment to train for military-style operations won’t do anything for anyone. The only remotely proven effect is changing childrens perception of war.

And it’s quite well known that World of Warcraft has been used by terrorists who thought it was safe, when in reality they were being tracked just as easily as they would’ve been on MSN.