Revenues for tablet gaming to hit over $3.1B by 2014

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 13:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A study from Juniper Research has indicated tablet gaming renvenues will hit in upwards of $3.1 billion by 2014.

The figure deduced by the firm is up considerably from $491 million in 2011, and analyst Charlotte Miller suggests the popularity of gaming on tablets has increased due to the larger screen sizes now available combined with better graphics.

Juniper also suggests the “core” have noticed the “improved experience” recent tablets offer with console-style buttons on screen, and Miller feels more will be drawn in over the next two years.

“The tablet is the perfect device for playing mobile games… Higher user satisfaction with games and a bigger wallet mean that tablet games look to be highly lucrative,” wrote Miller in the report obtained by Gamasutra. It also claims the majority of tablet users have “a higher disposable income than the general smartphone user base,” and are more willing to spend money on the tech and the games that are created for it.

Juniper concludes that by 2016 tablet games will make up over a third of mobile games revenue, with smartphone gaming halving over the next five years.

1. DrDamn

Table gaming making a comeback eh? ;)

2. Lahanas

Tablet gaming and tablets in general need to die. They are a threat to serious, real gaming on consoles and PC.

3. DSB

@2 Someone’s feeling a little insecure.

4. Lahanas

You’re damn right I am. I am worried that traditional games will be replaced by all this app/social/mobile garbage.

5. DSB

To do that, they’d have to prove that they’re better.

I don’t see how a bunch of bored everymen playing micro-transaction games on their iPads is such a threat to me and my AAA collection, but that’s just me.

I also don’t think all the best AAA developers of the world are suddenly going to go “Holy shit, tablets!!!” and jump over there. For every Angry Birds, you can bet your ass that there are a hundred others going down the drain.

Platform bigotry is such old hat. PC gamers thought the same about console games, and now they both think the same about mobile games.

The sky isn’t falling yet. Personally I enjoy games for what they are, not what platforms they’re on.

6. SuperGuyverUSA

I agree with both Lahanas and DSB, I am very worried that tablets and phones are going to replace the good handheld and console games. But DSB has a point; “I enjoy games for what they are, not what platforms they’re on.” One can only hope that consoles and real handheld game platforms will not fall, but only become stronger. :)