L4D? Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City in action

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 16:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

With Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City hitting later this week in Europe, we take a hi-res look at the campaign of Slant Six’s addition to Capcom’s zombie favourite.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is built from the group-up for co-op and multiplayer, and features squad-based combat set in the timeline between Resident Evil 2 and 3. Raccoon City is about to be subjected to the G-virus, and you’re in the middle of a great deal of violence as a Umbrella Security Service operative.

The review embargo now up and we’ve seen a 2/5 from Joystiq, 4/10 from IGN and 4/10 from Eurogamer. In the video above, Sam Clay takes a look at the early stages of the shooter’s campaign, which is playable with up to three other people.

If story’s not your bag, there’s a bunch of other modes in ORC, which pitch Spec Ops against USS.

Operation Raccoon City is out on Friday in Europe and the US today for PS3 and 360. A PC version is to follow at an unspecified date.

1. CityCobra

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City – 71%

Link:

Despite an engaging multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City falls far behind expectations. Without truly capturing the flair of the brand the game is not more than a solid coop shooter.

GamingXP.com

2. Patrick Garratt

This is the thread you’re looking for:

*wavey hand*

3. Yoshi

I’m confused with does it say ‘L4D?’ in the title? :P

4. Patrick Garratt

I wanted to say “Left for Dead?” As in, “is it a bit shit?” while playing on the fact it’s basically a four-way zombie shooter. But I couldn’t, because there wasn’t enough space, because the game’s title is so long, so I had to write “L4D” instead.

5. Yoshi

Ahh I thought it might have been in that sense but wasn’t sure :P *thumbs up*

6. Patrick Garratt

I need more headline space, clearly.

*mails designers*

7. xino

wtf is this sh*!?

8. Patrick Garratt

@7 – :D

9. LOLshock94

Why is it that videos like these are always slow and lagggy? this always happens when you upload these vids

10. Patrick Garratt

@9 – It’s straight off a capture card at 720p30. That’s what it looks like. Do you mean the tearing?

11. LOLshock94

@10 no idea what tearing is haha but it does this on almost all of the vids which are took from the game

12. Patrick Garratt

@11 – :D

I think you mean that sort of “splitting” effect. To be honest, it’s not exactly amazing, as the scores attest. It’s certainly no technical marvel.

13. Gekidami

I have to say, this video is a bit boring. Why not just have the full first level (or at least up to that boss) with the guy just giving us his opinion on whats happening, like in VG247′s previous videos?

14. Sam Clay

@9 it’s to do with how Youtube compresses video. If they encoded 50frame footage properly then you wouldn’t have any issues. This footage is in 30fps but Youtube then decides to do some weird encoding with it.

15. LOLshock94

@14 i dont think it is cause every vid is fine its just the vid vg posts which are weird

16. Kabby

There is something going a little wrong with the process that’s leading to nasty tearing, yes. It needs looking at but VG247 doing more videos is cool with me.

This game looks barely average sadly. I used to love Resident Evil as a youngster too.

17. Patrick Garratt

Is it because I’m recording at 30fps?

18. Patrick Garratt

@13 – I’m sure we’ll do more of that.

19. xino

Slant Six only knows how to make Socom games.

from the gameplay, this game looks and plays underwhelming!

20. Sam Clay

@14 Hmmm, I’ll take a look.

21. jldoom

If it’s as the reviews say that’s disappointing. I’ll wait to hear what my friend thinks about it, although he’s a hardcore RE fan.

22. freedoms_stain

I would like to have been at the design meeting where they decided to have a boss with a giant eyeball in its shoulder.

I would have then very much liked to have proceeded to slap each attendee in turn in the face with a wet fish.

23. mathare92

I agree with #13. Instead of quickly jumping between gameplay scenes, I think a longer, simple playthrough of a level would be more useful (and less confusing). Go for the Giantbomb quick look format rather than your run-of-the-mill montage/video review kind of thing. Just my 2 cents.

24. The_Red

I’d love to see VG247 crew doing videos in vein of GiantBomb’s quicklook videos. Have Pat, Johnny, Steph, Brenna and others play the game with live commentary and other fun stuff.

25. mathare92

@24 Well, given the fact that they are inundated with news pieces and written features I hardly think that they’d have the time. Not to mention that they’re situated in four distant (to put it midly) locations.